It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:48 am 
ADMIN

Horace, Lost Cat, Finds His Way Home After Three Weeks With Two Broken Legs

DETERMINED Horace used more than one of his nine lives when he went off on his last adventure.

The 18-month-old ginger tabby cat was missing for nearly three weeks before he managed to limp home to Haughley with two broken legs.

Owner Kara Hayward, 38, believes he was injured in a hit and run after going missing on March 11.

The mum-of-three said: “I saw him on the Saturday evening, but he did not come in on the Sunday morning. He had gone out before for about a day or so hunting but he would always be here to wake me up for breakfast.
<SNIP>.......
But just when they thought Horace was gone forever, the beloved cat limped through the door of the family home in Ladyfield on Friday, March 30 - 18 days after he was last seen.

He had lost a lot of weight and was struggling to walk with his two broken legs.

“I saw him trying to walk and I could see that something was not right. What was obvious was that both legs were broken, so I took him to our local vets in Haughley but they said that it just does not happen, cats surviving this long, they would have given him five days, 10 days at most,” said Mrs Hayward.

....more at link
http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/haughley_cat ... _1_1346542

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:11 am 
ADMIN

The 3 weeks is amazing!!! and TWO broken legs!!

I have twice had cats make it home with a broken leg..... and survive after treatment.

"Hazel" with shattered back leg was able to be rebuilt with pin through the leg and bone parts wired back together. She went on to live a long and happy life... very active hunter and adopted "Mom" to two litters of kittens.

"Ivor" (aka "Peg Leg") turned up one morning in distress with a broken front leg. The same vet who worked on Hazel advised it could not be repaired... so it was amputated. He is still alive and well and leads a very active life as indoor/outdoor cat.

Both cats earned the nick-name "6 million Dollar Cat" Vet bills were considerable

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:51 pm 

Awww. I worry when they go outdoors. But looks like he's a survivor.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 pm 
ADMIN

I worry too!!

Cats have always been free to come and go... and they have miles of open farm land behind our house.
But over the years there have been road fatalities :97 as well as the two who survived with broken legs.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:30 pm 

Wow, what a cat...that's amazing!

My friend who gave me Tiger when he was a kitty, insisted he be an indoor only cat. It's said that outdoor cats don't survive nearly as long as indoor cats.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:10 pm 

Maltese Mama wrote:
Wow, what a cat...that's amazing!

My friend who gave me Tiger when he was a kitty, insisted he be an indoor only cat. It's said that outdoor cats don't survive nearly as long as indoor cats.

Yes the story of Horace is amazing! Bless his heart! :89

It is true indoor cats usually live much longer than those who are outdoors or even allowed to go outside for "visits". Of course you also have to be careful what you have indoors that can be potentially harmful such as plants, household cleaners not put away, etc. :8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:01 pm 

MM I have read when I was doing my animal work (trying to save them on every level), that the average outdoor animal lives to be 3 years old. I am sure some more ... some less but that is what they say.

It was said too - that they are equal to a 3 year old child - - - - being out there.

I can't do it. I couldn't LIVE thru losing her - that way. I will just play it safe and she will suffer. (Spoiled little loved girl that she is!!)
But - this is only me ... :86