It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:23 pm 

This may make me sound stupid. If the Internet is turned over to the UN on Oct. 1, isn't it possible they could shut it down. My fear is they will do this to damage the elections. People will not have a way to communicate. What if Julian hasn't released his info? Not that I think the Dems will change their vote. I don't understand the whole thing at all. I don't understand the Internet thing being more thoroughly addressed by ANYONE. It seems very scary.

Rumpole, please can you explain? You know a lot about the Internet and how it all works.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Snowpoodles.

I have NOT paid close attention.. but as far as I have seen this change ONLY effects control/assignment of "Domain addresses" which I think already involves other Countries... with (I guess) USA having the ultimate say. I dont see the change as a HUGE deal.. except that any change could be the start of a "slippery slope" as they say. And... the UN and international groups and committees etc I regard as jumped up nobodies, siphoning off other peoples money by some method we dont always even know about. I would NOT let the UN organize cleaning up cat sick.. they are incompetent.

However,
If Obama is pushing it... it must be a BAD idea!!!

However2,
Lyin' Ted is opposed to it... so I dont know what to think!! :95

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:51 pm 

I think it sounds bad. Thanks for addressing this. It just seems very (fill in blank). I don't know the word? Ominous?, maybe.

AND Lyin Ted SAYS he is opposed to it, but I suspect it is an act. He is Lyin Ted.

I didn't really understand it, but your explanation makes sense. I mistakenly thought they would control the web. As in, censoring by shutting down sites that do not fit their narrative. :40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:18 pm 
ADMIN

Since you raised the issue, Snowpoodles... I'll give it its own thread :)

This article is from a month ago.. I'll see if there is anything more recent and with more info.

Obama administration backs plan to relinquish Internet control
Published June 09, 2016

The Obama administration is getting behind a plan that would have the U.S. government relinquish its last bit of control over the Internet – a move Republican lawmakers are fighting tooth-and-nail.

The transfer was set in motion two years ago when a Commerce Department agency said it would cede oversight over an obscure, but powerful, Los Angeles-based nonprofit called the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

The agency, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, announced Thursday that the game plan they got back from ICANN – which would hand over the reins to a “multi-stakeholder” group, and not a single government – is now in line with what they want.

“The Internet’s multistakeholder community has risen to the challenge we gave them to develop a transition proposal that would ensure the Internet’s domain name system will continue to operate as seamlessly as it currently does,” NTIA Administrator Lawrence Strickling said in a statement. AFP first reported on the decision.

ICANN manages some of the most important elements of the Internet, including the domain name system and IP addressing. Domains include those tiny suffixes at the end of Internet addresses, like .com and .org; Internet Protocol addresses are the numerical sequences assigned to devices in a network.

Foreign governments had complained about the U.S. oversight, maintained through contracts with ICANN.

Yet the Obama administration has faced stiff resistance to a hand-off for months from vocal critics on Capitol Hill and in the tech community. One concern is that, in the void left by America's transfer of oversight, other nations that don't share the United States' commitment to free speech and expression could make a grab at Internet influence.

...more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06 ... ntrol.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:29 pm 
ADMIN

America to hand off Internet in under two months
By Rudy Takala • 8/16/16 11:58 PM

The Department of Commerce is set to hand off the final vestiges of American control over the Internet to international authorities in less than two months, officials have confirmed.

The department will finalize the transition effective Oct. 1, Assistant Secretary Lawrence Strickling wrote on Tuesday, barring what he called "any significant impediment."

The move means the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, which is responsible for interpreting numerical addresses on the Web to a readable language, will move from U.S. control to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, a multistakeholder body based in Los Angeles that includes countries such as China and Russia.

Critics of the move, most prominently Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, have pointed out the agency could be used by totalitarian governments to shut down the Web around the globe, either in whole or in part.

...more at link
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ameri ... le/2599521

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:34 pm 

And there it is. Relinquish
Synonyms for relinquish: renounce, give up/away, hand over, let go, STAND DOWN FROM, bow out of, cease, give up, quit, forswear.

Quite scary, yes or no? :34

"Other nations that don't share the United States commitment to free speech and expression could make a grab for Internet control."
And there it is! Obammy is going to have us shut down.

If I only get to talk to y'all until Oct. 1, it has been fun. I will hope that all have a good and safe life!

Last edited by Showpoodles on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:37 pm 
ADMIN

Relinquish... sounds bad I agree.

On the other hand..... just suppose Crooked Hillary was President..... it would be "up for sale" ....actively corrupted.

My thoughts are.....

Could somebody start a "Gofundme" to raise money for "ObamaGolf"

So long as he simply STOPS doing anything or signing anything...........
Give him a Golfers dream pass to play golf every day until next January!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:41 pm 

Rumpole, when you have time, could you help format this article for me please.

My tablet freezes when vid starts auto play. THX

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/08/28/u- ... tober-1st/

(K - Rumpole)
U.S. Ready To Hand Over Internet Control On October 1st
August 28, 2016 5:38 PM

WORLD WIDE WEB (CBSMiami/AP) — Flip the switch and the lights go on. Hit the starter button and the engine turns over. Type in an Internet domain name and the Web page pops open.

How does it all work? Who even thinks about that — until there’s a reason to wonder. Like when something goes wrong. Or when the administration of Internet domain names is about to undergo a major change.

If you’ve never heard of ICANN — the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers — you may soon enough, as the United States, which has maintained a role in the handling of Internet domain names, is about to hand over the last of its functions to the private, non-profit ICANN.

If all goes as planned, though, you’ll likely not hear much about it.

Why? Because the change, set to take effect on Oct. 1, will keep things mostly as they’ve been for some time now. But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t critics.
[.....]
However, ICANN has effectively been running the show since the late-1990s with minimal involvement from the feds. The government, whose role was largely an accident of history, has long been looking for a way to step back.

After two decades of planning, the transition that’s about to take place might still be more popular than the alternative — having the United Nations handle the assigning of Internet domain names, allowing possible influence from China or Russia.

The move has been supported by the last three presidential administrations.

...more at link
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/08/28/u- ... tober-1st/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:45 pm 

We don't know that obummer didn't sell it off before crooked hill could. Why would we want to give away something that is ours? WE don't but THEY do.

Sell it or give it away, some bad result. I can PROMISE that he didn't "give it away".

"Could we start a go fund ...... Golf?
He will multi-task by bringing his pen and phone!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:51 pm 
ADMIN

Molly's article seems to ease fears..... lets face it "The Government" in control is NOT a great idea when you think "Obama" or (heavens forbid) "Crooked Hillary"

ICANN is NOT the UN as such... and these days "private non-profit" company sounds better than "Government".... who knows Hillary would run it through "The Clinton Foundation"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:59 pm 

Thanks Molly! I feel better now. :blow

For something on a more positive note see Chat thread!

I see that I was wrong in believing the Internet was being turned over to the UN. I really got the story wrong. :46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:53 am 

An Internet Giveaway to the U.N. - WSJ

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-internet ... 1472421165

This must be the article I read that gave me the idea we were giving it to the UN.
Wish I wouldn't have seen it again and left it where Molly put it. :wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:35 pm 

ICANN thus far is still actually 'controlled' if you will by the US Government. The problem is that all the other countries want to have 'equal' control.

Having said all of this ICANN has managed domain name registration for many years. It give NO ONE control over the internet just the domain names registered to individuals. Remember a domain name just translates to an IP address ultimately and no one can control IP addresses.

SO... it is not really control over the internet. It is control over who and where is allowed to register, publish and do business or actively use particular top level domains and at what extension. For example you used to use .org for non profit and .com for commercial business. There are so many different TLD's these days that certain countries want control of their own. '

.cc for example was not initially associated with the AU. NOW:

.cc is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Cocos (Keeling) Islands, an Australian territory of 5.4 square miles (14 km2; 1,400 ha) and about 600 inhabitants.

I think it is items like this that are likely to be watched over. But ultimately you can rest assured that the US Government will be NECK DEEP (as it is now) with ICANN.

I still think it is wrong to do what he is doing as I like us being in total control of domains but I can understand the rest of the worlds problem as they want control over their own TLD domains as well.

SEE LINK:
http://www.hoover.org/research/tricky-issue-severing-us-control-over-icann

Quote:
The best argument for continued US contractual relations with ICANN is that the threat of withdrawing the contract has kept ICANN from going off the rails and capitulating to authoritarian governments or other nefarious interests. On this view, it is not direct US power, but rather the threat of giving control over the authoritative root zone file to another entity, that keeps ICANN in line. The argument is plausible, but it is not clear that the United States could carry out the threat. If the United States gave the contract for naming and numbering to another entity, it would still be possible (though not easy) for ICANN to arrange for Internet service providers and other operators of Internet infrastructure to mirror and treat as authoritative a copy of the root zone file from a master server under its control in (say) Geneva, in which case ICANN could continue as the root authority without the blessing of the United States.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:22 pm 

WOW! WKC, this is very complicated. Way above my head. So, are you saying there isn't a very easy way of shutting the Internet down, thereby cutting the US citizens off from the sites they want to visit, each other and also shutting down Mr. Trumps communications? This would possibly interfere with our election if it were to happen, among a lot of other problems.

Good grief, my day to day life is sooooo simple. Taking care of dogs and cats did not require the waste of time I spent in University! :78

I started showing dogs while going to college. I only finished to make family happy. NEVER used degree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:49 pm 

I've seen just a bit of this on twitter and at CTH, but have paid NO attention to it because it is confusing to me. :98

I've got eight domains and dropped one this month. I don't want anyone but ICANN having control over the remaining seven. Something on my mental list to look into when the actual time is closer.

If I made a list of things I think Obama should do before he leaves office, this would be at the very bottom. :doh

---------------

eta: Rumpole, thanks for formatting the article above for me (when I was out of town). Now I need to read it and view the video. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:09 pm 

I would like to see USA maintain total control of ICANN but frankly the internet will not be dictated by any one entity. Let them censor their countries as they see fit. Folks ICANN has been operating the same way for years. See this article:

No, Barack Obama Isn't Handing Control of the Internet Over to China

Quote:
.....it turns out that for the Internet to work, certain functions benefit greatly from a little centralized record keeping. To surf the Net with your unique number, it helps greatly if that number isn’t already assigned to someone else—assign it twice and bits can get confused as they wend their way towards you (or is it towards your doppelganger?). Same problem with phone numbers: they shouldn’t belong to more than one pizza shop at a time. So someone had to maintain a master list of IP addresses for the simple purpose of not handing them out twice. That someone was Jon Postel, a computer scientist who in essence drew the short straw to have to keep track. As the Internet’s protocols were written up it seemed a little informal to say with a technical document, “Well, a guy named Jon performs this function,” so Jon was labeled to be something much more official-sounding: The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, or IANA. No official paperwork was filed; nothing was incorporated. Still no CEO. Just IANA. Jon also helped get domain names going, so we could visit mnemonic-sounding addresses like http://www.newrepublic.com instead of 166.78.85.160. (Both work, though – try it!)

LINK:

https://newrepublic.com/article/117093/us-withdraws-icann-why-its-no-big-deal

So it is an old article but makes GREAT points.

I still wish that USA maintain control of ICANN but realistically we have not had it for years. This will not change anything for users that they will notice at all for the most part. Period.

Next bit of media for you to consume if this issue truly interests you:

Is Obama About To Cede Control of the Internet to Foreign Governments? Here's Everything You Need To Know

Quote:
President Barack Obama's Commerce Department has agreed to shift the country's Internet domain system over to a nonprofit organization called the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) starting October 1. Defenders of the move argue that it's a necessary symbolic move, while others argue (correctly) that it would give control to foreign governments like Russia and China which frown upon free speech. Here's everything you need to know about it.

What exactly is ICANN? According to The Atlantic and The Washington Examiner, ICANN is a "multistakeholder" organization featuring countries like China and Russia. ICANN "helps assign domain names and top-level domains"–such as ".com" and ".org"–and is working toward adding even more domain names. Up until October 1, the U.S. had control over ICANN to ensure that the organization would not fall under international control and allow authoritarian regimes to engage in censorship. That all changes when the U.S. government's contract with ICANN expires.

LINK:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/8483/obama-about-take-over-internet-heres-everything-aaron-bandler#

When I was deployed to many countries they ALL censored the internet that the citizens of their territory could access. This is simply nothing new folks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:24 pm 

Hi WKC,

That first quote (bit of trivia) is very interesting. I never knew this. My first domain didn't cost me anything, I just had to register it. I wonder who had the insight to say "hey, let's charge for these and make some money." ? :)

I still haven't delved into this because I don't understand it.
I'll read your last link. Thx. ;)

------------------------------------
Well, it sounds like to me that Obama is turning it over to those who can censor. Whether they will or not is a gray area. This is the part I don't like: :(

Quote:
    Putting ICAAN under U.N. control would also subject American consumers to Internet taxes. Christian Witon, a former senior adviser under the Bush State Department, told The Daily Caller, "If the U.N. gains control what amounts to the directory and traffic signals of the Internet, it can impose whatever taxes it likes. It likely would start with a tax on registering domains and expand from there."

In other words, various foreign government are salivating at the thought of using the Internet as a revenue stream.

Now to read the Wall Street Journal which was quoted. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 pm 

I am afraid many users are operating under the idea that they have full access to all Russian, Chinese, UAE, etc websites. You do not.

On the other side those citizens connecting from those areas are HIGHLY censored. More so than you would ever imagine.

This change simply allows those governments to censor what they allow online via their registered IP/Domain Name. It does NOT change the level of control that you have as access now. It simply CAN'T. Having said that ICANN is a money making venture. Period the end.

Just FYI.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:09 am 
ADMIN

ACTION REQUIRED: STOP THE INTERNET TAKEOVER NOW!
Stefan Molyneux