It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trans-Pacific Trade Deal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:29 pm 
ADMIN

Historic Pacific trade deal faces skeptics in Congress
ATLANTA | By Krista Hughes and Kevin Krolicki

Twelve Pacific Rim countries on Monday reached the most ambitious trade pact in a generation, aiming to liberalize commerce in 40 percent of the world's economy in a deal that faces skepticism from U.S. lawmakers.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) pact struck in Atlanta after marathon talks could reshape industries, change the cost of products from cheese to cancer treatments and have repercussions for drug companies and automakers.
[.....]
Politically charged dairy farming issues were addressed in the final hours of talks, officials said. New Zealand, home to the world's biggest dairy exporter, Fonterra, wanted increased access to U.S., Canadian and Japanese markets.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said the deal would cut tariffs on 93 percent of New Zealand's exports to the United States, Japan, Canada, Mexico and Peru. “We’re disappointed there wasn’t agreement to eliminate all dairy tariffs but overall it’s a very good deal for New Zealand,” Key said.
[.....]
The deal between Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States and Vietnam also sets minimum standards on issues ranging from workers' rights to environmental protection.

Trade ministers said the TPP would be open to other countries in the future, including potentially China.

....more at link
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/ ... me=topNews

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:33 pm 
ADMIN

I cant say I understand the (USA) political ramifications.. but NZ needs FAIR access to markets, which it has not always had.

New Zealand, home to the world's biggest dairy exporter, Fonterra, wanted increased access to U.S., Canadian and Japanese markets.

NZ welcomes increased (fair) trade with USA, Canada and Japan.

NZ has for years sought FAIR access to US and other markets.. which do USE tarifs to protect local (inefficient) dairy and meat production. NZ was historically 'the farm" supplying UK.. and even with transport cost we do produce cheaper (better) stuff...the EU protectionist racket driven by France especially, threw a spanner in the works. Nobody is asking for special treatment, other than removal of barriers to allow fair competition.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:27 pm 
ADMIN

I tell ya what....

If NZ start exporting Zucchini.. and you see them for sale in USA for $12/lb... DONT BUY THEM!!!

I dont usually pay much attention.. but I have noticed US fresh produce for sale in NZ...citrus fruit is something I have noticed.. no big deal.. I assume they are cheaper/better than local stuff and buy them.

Mmmmm US Tangelos...