It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:16 am 
ADMIN

I was not keen to get embroiled in this case, but here it is.....

Jahi McMath: 13-year-old brain-dead Oakland girl moved by family from hospital
By Rick Hurd and David DeBolt
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 01/05/2014 09:00:13 PM PST

OAKLAND -- Jahi McMath was quickly and quietly moved from Children's Hospital of Oakland Sunday evening, the hospital attorney and her uncle confirmed.

The move came hours after the her family's attorney said they would be moving her to a treatment facility before a Tuesday deadline "come hell or high water" before Tuesday's deadline for the hospital to turn off her ventilator.
[...]
The hospital, however, continued to dispute that, as well as Dolan's assertion that Children's Hospital Oakland has "withheld food for 26 days," the result of which has "kept Jahi (from receiving) nutrients that might help her brain to be at an optimum place" for recovery.

"Sadly ... Mr. Dolan is not being truthful to the public or his clients," Singer said. "When he says his 'medical team' wants to feed her body so her brain will have the optimum nutrients, he is either being purposely deceptive or ignorant. In either case, he is perpetuating a sad and tragic hoax on the public and the McMath family. Tragically, this young woman is dead, and there is no food, no medical procedures and no amount of time that will bring back the deceased."

The agreement states that the hospital will allow a transfer team to enter the facility and move out Jahi, with her entire health responsibility, and the responsibility of the move falling to the mother. Jahi's tubes from the ventilator are to be removed and placed into the transport team's equipment, along with other devices, and her body will be moved from the hospital's gurney to a new one. Her medical records, medications and a status report also will be handed over, and the hospital will sever ties with her, the agreement states.

...more at link

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world ... child-will

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:21 am 
ADMIN

I have NOT followed this closely... but it seems to me that we have a bizarre, macabre situation... continuing to pump oxygen into a corpse and pretending the person is still alive. I can only suppose there is a money making Scheme afoot?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 am 
ADMIN

Jahi McMath Moved From Children's Hospital: Lawyer
Sunday, Jan 5, 2014 | Updated 10:14 PM PST

The 13-year-old California girl declared brain dead after a tonsillectomy has been taken out of Children's Hospital of Oakland, her family's attorney said late Sunday.

Jahi McMath left the hospital in a private ambulance shortly before 8 p.m. Sunday, Christopher Dolan told The Associated Press.

She was taken by a critical care team while attached to a ventilator but without a feeding tube, Dolan said. Her destination was not immediately disclosed.
[...]
The Alameda County coroner's office issued a death certificate for the girl Friday but said the document is incomplete because no cause of death has been determined pending an autopsy.

"They may have issued one but we don't have it. We don't think she's dead," Dolan said. "We got all the necessary legal paperwork in order to get Jahi out of there."

BBM

...more at link
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/natio ... 15191.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:49 am 
ADMIN

Photos: Jahi McMath released to family
Posted Dec 30, 2013

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2013/12/3 ... -mcmath/#5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 am 

I have been following this. A long-term care facility in New York has agreed to take her. The family believes that she is still alive. There was a quote a couple of weeks ago from a male relative. He was talking about how it would be different if Jahi looked different. I assume he meant that she didn't look deceased but didn't take into account that the machines were the ones keeping her body functioning even though her brain/brainstem weren't. After reading the letter her mother wrote what I assumed was wrong. They do realize the machines are doing the work that keeps her "alive."

I tried to find a quote regarding an author who wrote a book (paper, etc.?) on this kind of occurrence. I think he has had a big influence on the family and if I can find out who it is I will link to that. I don't know if he has had direct contact with the family. It appeared to be so, IIRC.

This is a letter her mother wrote trying to explain her position.

Quote:
I am a mother. She is my daughter. I am alive. Despite what they say, she is alive. I can touch her, she is warm. She responds to my touch. I can love her – I can feel her love. When she was in my belly I fell in love with her. Her heartbeat for the beginning of her life was my heartbeat until God, through a miracle, sparked her heart into existence. Given time, I know he will spark her brain awake.

She is Jahi, a name that means known by many. If she knew about all this attention she would blush. She is very shy.

My daughter sits on life support. I feel like she is on death row. The clock is ticking — ticking down. Children’s Hospital Oakland says she is dead. She was not dead when I brought her here on December 9th for a routine tonsillectomy. I put her in their hands, now they want to wash their hands of her.

Jahi had an operation. I was told it went well. Then she started bleeding from her mouth. They gave me a cup for her to bleed into and said it was normal. She bled more and more. I couldn’t keep up with it. I asked for help, they gave me a bigger bucket. She bled more. They did not answer our pleas for a doctor. Her surgeon never came back. She had a heart attack and her heart stopped beating. Then they came — then. They shocked her back into life. Now they say she is dead.

Before the surgery she said I am scared mommy. I said why Jahi? She said I am afraid I won’t wake up. I told her it was going to be fine, it was a simple procedure. I should have listened to her.

She is on a respirator — with air she lives, her heart beats, her kidneys produce urine, she is warm and soft. They have been pressuring me to “pull the plug.” I can’t. I won’t. I can’t let them kill my baby a second time.

I am fighting for her life. Each breath the vent gives her one more chance to live and gets her one step closer to the hospital’s deadline. What a word. I never thought they could tell me, her mother, they were going to pull the plug, take her body to the morgue and send us home on Christmas while she lays in a freezer. She is warm now. I want my baby to be warm. We need time.

The Hospital says she is legally dead. That they can legally stop her breathing. I am not a lawyer. We called many in the middle of the night Monday as they were coming to unplug her Tuesday night. One answered the call. We stopped them. Every day is a struggle. We fight for Jahi. We have a temporary restraining order until Monday – then the Judge can say my baby is legally dead and Children’s can unplug her. It doesn’t matter what I say. I never thought I would have to go to court to get a hospital to treat my child.

Hold your children tight. Tell them you love them. I tell my daughter over and over. I know she can hear me. If she has any brain activity when they do the independent tests she will be kept alive. Pray for my daughter Jahi, pray that she will get better so they don’t kill her. Pray for me, mothers, that my love can bring her life once more.

http://newsone.com/2817289/jahi-mcmath- ... en-letter/

I think she feels guilty for being nonchalant about the surgery with her daughter being afraid of it. She appears to be deeply religious.

There was also a good article on this scientific/religion collide in the WSJ written by Brendan Foht.

Quote:
To Nailah Winkfield, Jahi's mother, the insistence by doctors that her child has already died clashes with her belief that, in God's eyes, as long as her child's heart is beating, Jahi is still alive. As family members search for another facility to care for her, they have also pursued a legal battle to stop doctors from removing the ventilator that keeps her breathing. The family argues that the hospital's decision to declare Jahi dead is a violation of Ms. Winkfield's religious freedom....

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 0047481758

I don't understand what Ms. Winkfield's religious freedom has to do with her daughter. I can see it if it was to Winkfield directly rather than through her heir. But as noted, I am not huge on God. The one thing I couldn't help but to notice is that she never referred to her daughter in past tense.

IMO, sad and tragic. With every surgery there are risks involved. Much talked about risks that never seem to register until the unthinkable happens. When her mother talks about how the doctors didn't care, I got the feeling that, given gravity of the situation, any medical personnel wouldn't be able to do enough to help that young girl in the eyes of her family.

I wish that her family could remember her more for the beautiful smile she had instead of the lasting memories of this fight and Jahi on tubes/ventilator, etc. when the future intercedes and her heart ceases to beat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:32 am 
ADMIN

I do feel for the mother and other close family etc.

But I "wonder" about the advice she (and they) are being given. Perhaps false hope... talk of feeding Jahi etc. Hints that they hope for a recovery?

It seems to me Jani is dead. A ventilator pumping oxygen into her corpse is maintaining an illusion. I imagine there are many? cases where the same semblance of life could be artificially maintained... for a long time.

(FWIW I have been a family member in the same situation as Jahi's family.. when my Father-in-law died.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 pm 
ADMIN

Should the California State Bar Discipline Jahi Mcmath's Lawyer?
Posted by Thaddeus Mason Pope, J.D., Ph.D.
Monday, January 6, 2014

Sam Singer, the spokesperson for Oakland Children's Hospital relayed the following to the San Jose Mercury News:
    "Sadly ... Mr. Dolan is not being truthful to the public or his clients. . . . When he says his 'medical team' wants to feed her body so her brain will have the optimum nutrients, he is either being purposely deceptive or ignorant. In either case, he is perpetuating a sad and tragic hoax on the public and the McMath family."

These are pretty serious allegations. If true, this could constitute a violation of the California Rules of Professional Conduct. Perhaps the Mcmath / Winkfield family might want to review the consumer protection information available

...more at link
http://medicalfutility.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... pline.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:21 pm 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/06/health/ja ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Although a New York facility says it's ready to care for Jahi, Dolan told reporters Sunday night that her destination won't be announced.
"We've had people make threats from around the country. It's sad that people act that way," Dolan said. "So for Jahi's safety and those around her, we will not be saying where she went or where she is."
Let parents decide if teen is dead
But New Beginnings Community Center in Medford, New York, said it is an option.
"At this time we're named as the potential facility that Jahi and her family will be coming to, but we will know more details in a couple of hours, and we'll certainly be happy to let you know as we know," said Allyson Scerri, founder of New Beginnings.
On its website, the facility bills itself as an outpatient rehabilitation center for patients with traumatic brain injuries and says it plans to open a long-term care facility. According to her online biography posted on the facility's website, Scerri worked as a hair stylist for 25 years and founded the facility after her father sustained a traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle accident.
"We are aware of Jahi McMath's dire situation, and we are willing to open our outpatient facility to provide 24-hour care as an inpatient, long-term facility for Jahi with the required and appropriate medical staff that she depends upon," Scerri said in a letter included in court documents last week.

------------

So this will be a special part of their Outpatient R.C. it is not 24 hr. I don't understand....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:20 pm 

This is a very sad story to me.... :( i love children they are one of my biggest weaknesses. I understand why they let them get past the Holidays with false hope , but that baby needs to be put to rest and that family needs to grieve. I think if there was any hope what so ever a doctor would have said so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:06 pm 

I don't know Rachel Janteel is brain dead and she still testified, so....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm 
ADMIN

:)
You started it Mung... I have resisted posting.......

What future is there for a woman who is "Brain Dead"?
Not much beyond registering at InSession2 (formerly Justice Quest) and becoming a regular poster there. :98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:36 pm 
ADMIN

Jahi McMath: Brain-dead girl moved to undisclosed care facility
By Rick Hurd, David DeBolt, and Natalie Neysa Alund Oakland Tribune
Posted: 01/06/2014 08:35:13 AM PST
Updated: 01/06/2014 01:17:56 PM PST

OAKLAND -- A brain-dead girl released into her family's custody left Children's Hospital Oakland on Sunday night and was checked in at an undisclosed care facility by the next morning, the family's attorney said.

Jahi McMath's body had "deteriorated so badly," that her chances for survival seemed bleak, said attorney Christopher Dolan. "Right now," Dolan said. "We don't know if she's going to make it."
[,,,]
During a late Monday morning press conference, Dolan confirmed Jahi was now "safely where she needs to be," in a facility where she's receiving nutritional support including potassium, minerals and hormones. She's also getting antibiotics to combat possible infection that Dolan said she may have suffered while at Children's Hospital.

Dolan said procedures deemed necessary for a facility to take Jahi were not yet performed, including feeding and tracheotomy tubes, because other physical issues arose after she left the hospital. He would not disclose what those issues were but said Jahi is still be access by medical staff at the new facility.

"She's in very bad shape," he said. "What I can tell you is that those examinations show that her medical condition, separate from the brain issue, is not good."

...more at link
http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_24 ... losed-care

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:39 pm 
ADMIN

This looks like a lawyer laying the groundwork for a lawsuit... blaming the hospital for lack of care :eek

But in reality the girl died 12th December (per death certificate). Not much anybody can do to stop a corpse decaying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:52 pm 

I feel for the family, too, but in reality, she is slowly decomposing, even with a ventilator and feeding tube her "body" time is limited. Nothing the hospital could do at that point (brain dead). I know this is difficult but I just think the time, effort and resources could be used in a better way, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm 
ADMIN

Jahi McMath: Merely Dead, or Really Most Sincerely Dead?
GUEST ENTRY BY KZ!
Monday, January 6, 2014

This is a GUEST ENTRY by KZ. KZ is a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist), who wrote the excellent series Dr. Murray's Death Drip Explained. KZ weighs in on Jahi McMath's current condition.

Last evening, January 5, 2014, the body of Jahi McMath was released by Children’s Hospital Oakland, to the Alameda County Coroner’s office. A Death Certificate has been initiated by the Alameda County Coroner, pending final completion upon the autopsy of Jahi Mc Math at a later time. The Coroner has released Jahi McMath’s body to the custody of her mother, Latasha Nailah Winkfield, for …..

Ongoing care and admission to another health care facility?

Or

Family religious and cultural rituals, including transportation of the body of their loved one, pending final disposition?

Your individual point of view on this tremendously tragic case will determine which of the above phrases you prefer to use to complete the first paragraph.

The family spokesperson, Jahi’s maternal uncle, the family attorney, and the cosmetologist spokesperson for the nonprofit, non-healthcare facility community center in New York (a building which rents space to therapists, not a licensed or regulated health care facility) offering to (care for vs temporarily store) Jahi’s body, continue to advance their agenda that Jahi is merely “brain damaged”, and as such, is entitled to state and federal protections. There is speculation by a number of web commentators and bloggers that this insistence on “brain damaged and disabled” versus brain dead, and “really most sincerely dead” is simply an attempt to preserve Jahi’s “aliveness” in preparation for a flurry of court actions designed at recovering monetary damages in excess of California’s pain and suffering caps. The uncle, in a recorded press conference referred to the number of $250,000 as “chump change”, and suggested that the more appropriate number is $30,000,000. Thirty million versus $250,000. Maybe it’s just me, but it is pretty unseemly to be tossing around these kind of numbers while Jahi is still alive. Or wait—is Jahi alive? Is Jahi dead?
[.....]
There is no rehabilitation for a liquefied and congealed brain. There is no hope for this individual to ever have any improvement whatsoever. Time and “nutrition” will not heal her brain, because in effect, she has no brain. The organ that was her brain is gone, completely and utterly gone. It is as if she has been “functionally decapitated”. This is what happens in brain death. This is the hard, sad, miserable, awful, grotesque TRUTH about what brain death is. This is why brain death IS death, and is recognized as death, as certain as cardiac death. No amount of wishing, magical thinking, hope or prayers will bring back Jahi McMath. Jahi does not need our prayers—but her family does.
BBM

...more at link
http://sprocket-trials.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... -most.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:25 pm 

Maybe she is only "mostly" dead and they are taking her to see Miracle Max?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 pm 
ADMIN

I wonder if there is a "Norwegian" connection... perhaps she is just "pining for the Fiords?" :40

This increasingly sounds like a "con" A Monty Pythonesque attempt to "nail Jahi's feet to her perch"

Pet Shop (Dead Parrot) - Monty Python

This sketch is getting silly!

Cue Graham Chapman,.......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:11 pm 
ADMIN

Court document by the doctor who took care of Jahi in ICU.

Information about Jahi's medical state (pdf 6 pages)
http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/HeidiFlori.pdf

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:17 pm 
ADMIN

but the farce continues......

Jahi McMath receiving nutrients, family says
Henry K. Lee and Carolyn Jones
Updated 5:13 pm, Monday, January 6, 2014

(01-06) 17:11 PST San Francisco -- One day after being moved out of Children's Hospital Oakland, Jahi McMath, the teen declared dead 25 days ago, was being treated at an undisclosed location, where she is being given antibiotics and nutritional support, her family and their lawyer said Monday.

Lawyer Christopher Dolan and Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey, said Jahi was "safely" moved from Children's on Sunday night in an ambulance.

"We're very relieved that she got safely to where she needed to be because we were all very afraid that given the fragile condition as she wasted away at Children's that she might not make it," Dolan said.

He said Jahi is being stabilized so that she can be given a feeding tube, and that she was already receiving potassium intravenously.

"Relief, happy, grateful - that's how we're feeling," Sealey said Monday morning at a news conference. "We never backed down."

...more at link
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/J ... 118175.php

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:36 pm 

Sad story. I feel for the family. If I were in their shoes, I'd want to know how the girl wound up brain dead from the Tonsilectomy and would hold the hospital accountable if they were negligent in their care of her after the surgery. However, I don't understand keeping a brain dead person artifically alive like that. If they are religious, why wouldn't they want her soul to be free to go to heaven?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next