It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:35 pm 

Wait a death threat on someone who is already dead?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:19 pm 

Well, I mean, they're feeding a dead person and painting her nails.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:46 pm 
ADMIN

If they are tipping gruel into a corpse....they must also be changing it's diaper and wiping it's ass :eek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:49 pm 

Yeah, I really can't imagine what they are doing...I don't understand why the law doesn't require transparency in this. If abuse of a corpse is against the law, don't they have probable cause to take a look-see at Jahi?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 pm 

Maybe what they mean is that death = threat (to the fantasy world they have created where she is going to spring back to life).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 pm 
ADMIN

Yes the mind boggles.... what a precedent to set... Corpses to go from any hospital... plenty of nutters who might follow suit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm 

That hairdresser has no idea there's a difference between brain death and a coma.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 pm 
ADMIN

Jahi McMath is a living person

By Paul A. Byrne, M.D.
January 14, 2014

Jahi is a living person and has been a living person on earth since her conception within her mother. Jahi's heart is beating 100,000 times a day, a rate similar to most persons on earth. Her heart beat is initiated in her heart just like yours and mine. Your heart beat does not begin in your brain either. Jahi's pulse and blood pressure are normal and strong. Jahi digests her food, puts out urine and has bowel movements just like the rest of us. Jahi's temperature is 98 with only a blanket to help keep her warm. Her body metabolism keeps her temperature warm just like yours. Her natural thermostat to control her temperature is in her hypothalamus, which is part of her brain. You have such a thermostat in your brain also.

The only machine used to treat Jahi is a ventilator to push air into her. Jahi pushes the air out. The ventilator is effective only in a living person. The ventilator does not make Jahi's heart beat.

Why does Jahi have to prove she is living? Do you have to prove that you are living? A recent CNS story included a comment about "a complete lack of blood flow to the brain." Of course the result of the test and other tests indicate that Jahi has a serious problem, but does a test that does not demonstrate blood flow to Jahi's brain indicate that Jahi is dead? For an example of someone who had a similar test result, see Zack Dunlap on the Internet. You can see the test showing no blood flow to his brain. Because he had a relative in the ICU, treatment of Zack was continued; Zack can be seen and heard in an interview.

...more at link
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/byrne/140114

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:37 pm 

I didn't see any place for comments. I guess they don't want any comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 am 
ADMIN

H/T arkansasmimi and renewsit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 am 
ADMIN

John Horgan: Readers react to Jahi McMath commentary
By John Horgan
San Mateo County Times
Posted: 01/14/2014 04:27:21 PM PST
Updated: 01/14/2014 04:27:21 PM PST

Last week's column regarding the tragic case of Jahi McMath generated a considerable amount of reaction, all of it thoughtful, some of it provocative. There was none of the irrational and hateful commentary that has been present in some responses found in other electronic media sites over the last month.

The 13-year-old girl in question, declared brain-dead but kept on life-support systems nonetheless on the order of her family, died after a tonsillectomy went terribly bad. The aftermath has been unsettling, emotional, sometimes confrontational and intensely sad.

It was the view in this corner that the girl's family members deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt, particularly if you haven't walked in their shoes and endured a similarly traumatic situation involving a child.

Dr. Marty Klein, a Palo Alto psychologist, responded with a slightly different take. He wrote that, although he does most definitely sympathize with the family members and empathizes with the loss of an innocent child, he does not feel the ensuing unseemly public spectacle, encouraged and exacerbated by the family's attorney, has served them well. Here are some of his comments:

• Your column misses the essential point of reasonable people who are disturbed by the McMath family's behavior and media coverage of it. I can easily emphasize with the family's grief. And I don't deny them any adult expression of it. But these people refuse to deal with their grief in an adult way. They have lost a child but refuse to acknowledge this.
  • This is what I and many others find pathetic -- adults who refuse to acknowledge painful reality, which all of us are eventually forced to do...Whether they hear voices from God or voices from Napoleon, this family's continued temper tantrum sullies all of us who deal with tragedy, loss and the unfairness of the universe.
  • By insisting on speaking to the media daily, by keeping an attorney who insists on speaking to the media daily, they are inviting judgment and ridicule...To repeat, I empathize with their grief and I harshly judge their behavior."

Another reader, Susan Miller, has her own opinion. To wit:

• "I feel such pain for those loved ones watching on the sidelines, not knowing what happened, what to do and how to let go of their precious child. Your response resonated with me because, about seven years ago, my daughter was hospitalized a few days before Christmas.
  • When I thought of this family struggling, I remember how I came home after she finally came out of her coma to the cookie dough that stayed too long in the refrigerator, the dried-out Christmas tree and the knee-high backyard grass.
  • When Jahi's hospital wanted to pull the plug on a child patient right before Christmas, I felt it was a cold move and cynically wondered if they were trying to cover up something with their action. If I were to judge anyone in this case, it would be the hospital.
  • While we were in the hospital, we met some wonderful, intelligent, brave and helpful people. But we also met a lot of clueless people at all levels.
  • Thank you again for asking the public to reserve judgment."

...more at link
http://www.mercurynews.com/john-horgan/ ... commentary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:00 pm 
ADMIN

Deaths put focus on child surgery risks
Common procedures are generally safe, however, experts say
Jan. 14, 2014 4:27 PM

Parents who sign consent forms for medical or dental procedures on their children often do so with trepidation.

For many, that concern likely increased in recent weeks with reports that seemingly commonplace procedures — in one case a tonsillectomy, in another, dental work — ended in two children’s deaths.

Tonsillectomy-related fatalities are not common; they occur in the “1 in every 30,000 range,” said physician Richard Rosenfeld, director of the Institute for Advanced Otolaryngology at New York Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn.

...more at link
http://www.thecalifornian.com/article/2 ... ck_check=1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 pm 

I was reading the comments about Byrne somewhere :N14 and they wrote something to the effect of:

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, acts like a duck, then it's Dr. Byrne! Quack! Quack!

:slap

and somewhere else there was this:

It used to be there were no guarantees in life except death and taxes. Now not so much.

:give

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 pm 
ADMIN

:lol :lol

I like the duck one best!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm 
ADMIN

Discussion panel.. including Dolan....

If A Brain Is Dead, Should The Person Die, Too?
Originally aired on January 16, 2014
Hosted by: Josh Zepps

Two wrenching news stories present dichotomies over end of life rights. As Jahi McMath's parents fight to keep her on a ventilator in California, Marlise Machado's parents say she's being kept alive against her wishes in Texas. Both are brain-dead.

Guests:

• Arthur Caplan @ArthurCaplan (New York, NY) Director of the Division of Medical Ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center

• Alan Meisel (Pittsburgh, PA) Director of the Center for Bioethics and Health Law at the University of Pittsburgh

• Chris Dolan @cbdlaw (San Francisco, CA) Lawyer for the Family of Jahi McMath

Video of Discussion and comments at link...
http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segmen ... 77a60004eb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm 
ADMIN

IMO.... Dolan back peddling as fast as his little legs can spin :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 pm 

Rumpole wrote:

Jahi McMath is a living person

By Paul A. Byrne, M.D.
January 14, 2014
<snipped for brevity>
...more at link
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/byrne/140114

It's super simple for me...would Jahi's organs be donatable at this point?

I didn't think so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:21 pm 
ADMIN

I take your point, renewsit.... certainly it sounds like there was deterioration BEFORE the body-snatch... probably more by now. :eek

However.... a good way to preserve organs before "harvesting" is to ventilate the corpse.. and keep oxygen and blood flow going.

IANAMD.... but my guess is some organs are still OK (for transplant purposes).. some... not so much

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 pm 
ADMIN

In Jahi's case, past time for a reality check

The truth is she's been dead for more than a month now, and the time for subtlety is over. The situation, to put it bluntly, is a disgrace.

By Meghan Daum
January 16, 2014

The case of Jahi McMath, the 13-year-old Oakland girl who was declared brain dead Dec. 12 following complications from tonsil and sinus surgery, hasn't ended yet. Insisting Jahi was still alive and should remain on the ventilator that was keeping her heart beating, the girl's family fought Children's Hospital Oakland and was finally allowed by a judge to take her body into their custody. On Jan. 5, the body was moved to an undisclosed facility where, according to the family's attorney, Christopher Dolan, "her health is improving."

Jahi's saga gives rise to several conflicting strains of accusation. The family and its supporters vilified the hospital for stopping treatment. The public, while sympathetic to the family, saw Dolan as a shameless opportunist who'd stirred up a media circus.

I've already made the somewhat subtle point that beneath the welter of conflicting views lurked the desire to locate some source of blame — including the family — in an effort to cope with the terrifying randomness of a child dying under such circumstances.

But the truth is that Jahi has been dead for more than a month now, and the time for subtlety is over. The situation, to put it bluntly, is a disgrace.

...more at link
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/commenta ... z2qWRobona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:44 am 

Rumpole, Sorry, I know you will have to fix this, I don't know how :Gslap these are links I found while looking at that ex parte the Family lawyer Chris Dolan typed up

Jahi Declaration (pdf 24 pages)
http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/J ... ration.pdf

I bet this is the facility that put the trach and feeding tube in. poss be where she is at. I would hate for media circus for the families there tho.
*the address in this ex parte is for that New Beginnings in NY

Its almost like they were awaiting for a person to fit this criteria

And this Attorney, Dana Cody, Life Legal Defense Fundation~ provides resourses

Wrongful Death and Injury Inst
noted in doc: LOOK AT THE END OF LIFE SECTION CAREFULLY

The Wrongful Death & Injury Institute Inc.
http://www.wrongfuldeathinstitute.com/

** note they have their own coroner experts....

THIS DOC: Dr. David Hammons
http://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/drs/david_hammons/

Dr. Hammons is affiliated with 1 hospital:
Children's Recovery Center
3777 S Bascom Ave
Campbell, CA 95008

Dr. David Hammons has been confirmed to have a license in California

Childrens Recovery Center ** notice criteria
http://pedisubacute.com/about/admissions.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next