It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:26 am 

I told Rumpole that I like to follow the Triple Crown each year. Don't know if there are any racing fans amongst us, but now would be a good time to begin to test your handicapping skills.

First off, you would need to go to kentuckyderby.com to get a look of what horses MAY be in the running for the very first race of the Triple Crown ... the Kentucky Derby, which is the first Saturday in May.

At the kentuckyderby.com site besides just reading the info on the horses you can click on "Derby Horses" (top middle of the opening page), and then click on "Prep Schedule". The Prep Schedule are Grade I, II, and III races these horses are in coming up to the Derby. Grade I is considered the most difficult. Upcoming races you will want to keep an eye on begin next weekend with the Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth and keep going all the way up to Kentucky Derby. Watching those races will give you an idea who looks look good or who just may bloom come Derby Day.

I hope there is some interest here cause I enjoy it and would like to keep up with the chat on it.

kentuckyderby.com
http://www.kentuckyderby.com/

To get you in the mood, I made a music video couple years back on Secretariat's 1973 Preakness ... Isolated shot ... hope you like

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 am 
ADMIN

Glad you started the thread Ottawa :91

(And I fixed your YT)

I will join in, so long as people warn when races are on at least. :24

We have some time if first race is in May.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:36 am 

thank you for fixin the youtube my friend. Did you watch it? If so, how did you like it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 am 
ADMIN

I did now :43

Fantastic run.... coming from behind makes it spectacular.

I have followed the Triple Crown before.

I have (had) a friend who was very interested,... did all the work starting the thread.. posted pics of horses etc.

(and of course we got into discussion of lady's hats and fashion too)

We had a lot of fun. :26

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:04 am 
ADMIN

Triple Crown

KENTUCKY DERBY May 4th

PREAKNESS STAKES May 18th

BELMONT STAKES June 8th.

The Triple Crown is a trio of races held in May and June every year for 3-year-old Thoroughbreds and represents one of the greatest achievements in horse racing today. To earn the Triple Crown title, a horse must win each leg of the three-race series: the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes. And each year, a new crop of 3-year-olds excites the nation with the prospect of a Triple Crown winner.

Winning the Triple Crown has been accomplished just 11 times in its long history, with the latest winner, Affirmed, completing the elusive trifecta over 30 years ago in 1978. Eighteen horses have come close since then, winning two of three races. The most recent near miss came in 2008, when Big Brown won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes but did not finish the Belmont Stakes – a race aptly known as the “Test of the Champion” because of its 1 ½ mile distance. Competing in three races in just over a month is difficult enough. But with the recent trend of trainers entering fresh horses in the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes to compete against the Kentucky Derby winner, winning the Triple Crown will be an incredible feat.

This year, the 2013 Kentucky Derby will be held at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky., on May 4th. The 2013 Preakness Stakes will take place at Pimlico Racecourse in Baltimore, Md., on May 18th. And the 2013 Belmont Stakes will be hosted by Belmont Park in Elmont, NY., on June 8th.

http://horses.bovada.lv/triple-crown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 pm 

OK Ottowa, you got me here. :)
My history with the Derby - Born in "Lou ville" on a snowy November night way back in the stone ages. My folks always went to the Derby and back then you still could sit in the stands on the big day. Later, my Dad still got perks through corporate connections, but eventually we wound up going to the Oaks the day before and the infield for a few years. As it got bigger, we then watched on TV at Clyde's house (still a close family friend) and called into the bookies. One year Clyde got "busted" by us when I won on a long shot and he didn't have the $ to pony up - he was doing his own booking :)
I remember sitting on my Dad's shoulder's watching Secretariat (and even JFK at the airport). I do remember those days even though I was young. I can't remember why my parent's were able to get a rose from Secretariat's blanket but I'm guessing that was the year of the box seats from a "C" level Shell Oil Co. exec? Between my folks and I we had almost 20 years running of Derby glasses and then it fell off. I moved to Maryland where they were more interested in the "Black Eyed Susans" than the Roses but I did manage to get an annual Derby party going though my mint always came up a couple of weeks too late. 'My Old Kentucky Home' still makes my eyes water.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:50 am 

you know ... you have a nice name for a Filly .... Love My Girl. Has a nice ring. Well Kentucky is a beautiful State and of course Kentucky is the Thoroughbred Capital of the World !! Even the Queen has her people come to Kentucky to find suitable studs for her English mares. Kentucky is the preferred place for horses to be foaled and thrive, since no other State can boast the amounts of nutrients in its natural grass which has a limestone base. It's like Wonder Bread for kids.

Glad you made it over LMG, and I think it's wonderful that you still keep your memories close to your heart.

Well, I said in a previous post that this weekend would begin to zero in on the Prep Races. This weekend you had the Fastig-Tipton Fountain of Youth. I was waiting for this one because it would give me a chance to see this horse VIOLENCE against other horses that may also be in the Derby. Violence was coming into this race undefeated in 3 starts.

I don't want to spoil it. So to those of you that are interested, don't read anything just click on the link below and watch the video of the race for the outcome. I can tell you that for a Mile and a 1/16, it was a blistering pace. I'll come back later in the week and give my thoughts.

:28

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races ... tain-youth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:52 am 

I don't know if that's a default or if Rumpole picked that gravatar for me but it's COOL !!! I really love it. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm 

Continuing on the road to the Kentucky Derby, March 9th was the San Felipe Stakes.

First, I have a niece who has a client that is part owner in the horse Goldencents. Before just finding that out, I knew Goldencents was headed for the San Felipe, however, I didn't know who would be in against him. Day before I went over to DRF.com and check the entries to see who would be in the race against him and noted that Bob Baffert had two horses in the race. Gotta watch out for Bob when he has horses in. This time around his most notable horse is Flashback. Anyway, my niece had stated that her client said the horse had to run ONE/TWO in order to qualify for the Derby. I'm not sure that is true or if he knows what he's talking about.

Again, I will not spoil the outcome ... I'll let you watch it first. When you click on this link, avoid looking at the charts at the top and scroll immediately to the bottom for the video:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races/2013/san-felipe

What a race !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:56 pm 

Well, I'd like to show some excitement over today's Florida Derby and the Louisana Derby, but I can't. Fractions were soooo slow. Very hard to judge potential.

Anyway, here is Orb winning the Florida Derby and Revolutionary winning the Louisiana Derby.

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races ... da-derby-0

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races ... iana-derby

right now I really like Hear the Ghost. Unless I see something in the remaining prep races, I think Ghost is gonna be my horse. Not sure I will get a price, so still keep my eyes open for a horse to bet with Ghost on a gimmick bet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:04 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Ottawa.

Glad you are keeping the Racing department active....

Hope you are not...... :22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:56 pm 

Not much time left to pick your horse for the Kentucky Derby. As I posted above, I kinda was leaning toward Hear the Ghost, however, he apparently sustained a knee injury and will not run in the Derby.

Last Saturday, they ran the Wood Memorial and the winner was: Verrazano
Verrazano and Vyjack both came into this race undefeated. One’s a frontrunner, one comes from behind. The pace was very slow and that was to the disadvantage of Vyjack. He gave it his best, but he couldn’t catch Verrazano. I like Vyjack now that Hear the Ghost is out of the Derby.

The Wood Memorial:
http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races ... memorial-0

The Santa Anita was also run last Saturday which featured another match up between Goldencents and Flashback. If you remember those two dueled in the stretch in the San Felipe (see above), only to be passed by the freight train late move by Hear the Ghost. Remove Hear the Ghost from the picture and you have this year’s Santa Anita Derby with Goldencents edging out Flashback. No blistering fractions this time like in the San Felipe.

The Santa Anita:
http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races ... ta-derby-0

Today they will run the Arkansas Derby and the Bluegrass, and I will report on that later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:22 pm 

We've pretty much come to the end of the Derby Trail.

April 13th they ran the Arkansas Derby:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races ... as-derby-0

^Overanalyze finished strong to win with decent fractions.

also run on 4/13 was the Bluegrass Stakes:

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/prep_races ... ue-grass-0

Java's War from dead last coming into the final turn had a determined run at the leader, didn't look like he could do it, but he did.

So there you have it. If you are following or need this info closer to Derby day May 4, here is a link to the leaderboard.

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses

^Don't put a lot into the 1,2,3 stuff cause this is the Kentucky Derby. It will be a full field of 20 horses and NONE will have run a Mile and a Quarter. That is the great equalizer. The distance. These prep races have been between a Mile and a Sixteenth to a Mile and an Eigth. The Kentucky Derby at a Mile and a Quarter is long way to go for these young 3 year olds. Stamina will be a key factor.

With my Hear the Ghost out of Derby ... I'm looking at:

Vyjack
Java's War
Verrazano
Goldencents

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 pm 

Rumpole, I just noticed that Overanalyze is out of Repole Stable. Repole/Rumpole ... who knows ... maybe a winner.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:50 pm 

Orb won the Kentucky Derby. It didn't look like anyone was hurt. These horses are drug tested now. They will run a distance on a broken leg. The jockey has to pull them down. These beautiful running machines can't stop fast. They had to wash Orb down before his picture. The track was muddy today. It was raining.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:38 pm 

The race is almost an afterthought for most. A photo from my last visit to the Derby. The old guy in the golf cart is not me, btw.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 pm 
ADMIN

Not you?

Nice man with his hand on his "daughter's" knee? :cool

I know these things become a "EVENT"... the place to be seen, photographed... ladies hats and fashion etc. :69

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:15 pm 

Looks like a lot of fun.Image Such pretty hats!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Not you?

Nice man with his hand on his "daughter's" knee?

Hugh Hefner. Back when he had those three girlfriends...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:36 pm 

Analyst wrote:
The race is almost an afterthought for most. A photo from my last visit to the Derby. The old guy in the golf cart is not me, btw.

Yes, an afterthought. The owners, trainers, and jockeys want the win. I don't follow horse racing because I think it is animal abuse. The dogs is really animal abuse. I do follow the three races regarding the Triple Crown. I would love to see another Triple Crown winner in my lifetime. It really is too hard to win now. The races are too close together and horses are kept out of the Preakness to get ready for the Belmont. They get more rest.

Thanks for the thread Ottawa925. I didn't know it was here.