It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 am 

I recently had a couple of weeks that I did very little, except exist. Forced on me, not a choice.
I was busy living my life when the Sopranos series was a big deal, so I had never watched even one episode and was never interested. I only watch funny stuff..

Welllll, fast forward however many years. I just watched all six seasons, TWICE.

On a coincidental note, Mafia Don John Gotti's brother, Gene, has been in prison in Pollock Louisiana for the past 29 years on cocaine charges. Pollock is about an hour north of me. He is scheduled for release in the next couple of weeks. He is now 71 years old.

Whats a mafia guy gonna do now??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:20 am 
ADMIN

Glad you enjoyed the Soprano series.

I was a fan when it was first aired.... since I was already a fan of Godfather and that sort of stuff.

I missed a few episodes along the way.. but eventually watched the lot online. A few years ago now. I might do it again some day

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:27 am 

Well, while I am admitting things...

Watching the Sopranos led me down a bad path . . . I next watched Goodfellas and also loved it.

I Have never seen the Godfather.. I guess that's next. I guess the Sopranos was my gateway..
Hate admitting that I actually found them enjoyable to watch. Not really sure why. Outside of my box and all that ... Meh, things change :eek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:32 am 
ADMIN

Yeah... sounds like you are hooked :)

I have thought (worried) myself that these fictional Mafi types come across as "heroes". It is somehow satisfying to see them succeed.. yet in real life these types of people are vicious killers. Causing misery.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:28 pm 

I had to think about your assessment of thinking these guys were heroes while really dishing out supreme misery. Hmmm You thought about it on a level, I had not. But you are correct. These guys are really evil. The movies make it appear to be Alpha male thing and I all... I guess. Is that why the women marry these guys, have kids WHILE KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE GETTING INTO. Good grief.
These men are really just predators. Amazing.

So that led me to do a little digging around. I had no idea (naïve?) the mafia still existed. I thought it was a thing of the past. But I see that the Gambino family (and others) are still in existence. They actually still have bosses and all. For example, the Gambino group is headed by a guy named Frank Cali. I had NO IDEA.

How dumb am I ? I did not think the programs were based on any kind of reality.

Ok. I will go back to my bubble now. :doh