It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raid on Entebbe - 1977
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:59 pm 
ADMIN

Raid on Entebbe - 1977

There were several (at least 3) movies made about the sucessful Operation to rescue Jewish hostages held at Entebe Airport (Uganda)... the terrorists were supported by then Ugandan leader (and nut job) Idi Amin.
I saw one of these movies... ages ago... and remember it was good. I THINK it was the following "Raid on Entebe" which I stumbled across on YT.
I knew there was a Movie made in Israel too... "Operation Thunderbolt" and that is available on YT... I am looking forward to watching both movies on YT

As I recall from News at the time..... The mission itself was a HUGE success... Israeli IDF Comandos travelled all the way from Israel to Uganda and rescued the hostages. One hostage not rescued was an old lady.. taken to hospital and so separated from the group. The Mission was led by "Joni" Netanyahu... Older brother of Benjamin, the current Israeli PM.
Sadly, the only death amongst the rescuing IDF was Joni. There were perhaps 5 other IDF wounded.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm 
ADMIN

Raid on Entebbe - 1977

MrSeangabbMrSeangabb
Uploaded on Mar 12, 2011

Raid on Entebbe is a 1977 TV movie directed by Irvin Kershner. It is based on an actual event: Operation Entebbe and the freeing of hostages at Entebbe Airport in Entebbe, Uganda on July 4, 1976. It was the last movie to be released featuring Academy Award-winning actor Peter Finch. Actress Dinah Manoff appears in one of her very first roles.

This version of Operation Entebbe is believed to be fairly accurate. The basic facts of the rescue of hostages held when hijackers working for the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine boarded and hijacked an Air France plane recounts the events and response of the Israeli government and the controversy that the rescue stirred.

This version shows the difficult deliberations held by the Cabinet of Israel to decide on a top-secret military raid on the Jewish Sabbath by commandos; a difficult and daring operation carried out over 2500 miles from home, and of course, an unwillingness of the Israeli government to give in to terrorist demands. One commando was killed (the operation commander Yonatan Netanyahu, brother of future Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu), as were three of the hostages, and 45 soldiers under the then dictator of Uganda, Idi Amin. The death of Netanyahu was moved from the beginning of the assault when it happened to the end for plot reasons. A fourth hostage, Dora Bloch, who had been taken to Mulago Hospital in Kampala, was murdered by the Ugandans on Idi Amin's orders.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:02 pm 
ADMIN

OPERATION THUNDERBOLT (1977) RARE FILM ABOUT THE RAID AT ENTEBBE

(It's in Hebrew... but you can select English subtitles)

It's not all in Hebrew :24

The film was produced with the co-operation of the Israeli Air Force and the Israeli government. The film features original footage of prominent politicians such as Yitzhak Rabin, Shimon Peres and Yigal Allon. The exterior scenes set in Uganda were photographed near Eilat, Israel. Nearly all of the extras portraying Ugandan soldiers were played by African Jewish immigrants from Ethiopia. The scenes featuring the Knesset were filmed in Jerusalem, and the Tel Aviv airport sequences were filmed at Ben Gurion International Airport.

Originally filmed in Hebrew as well as German and Arabic and English, the film was shot a second time in an all-English version for the international market.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:52 pm 

I saw Raid on Entebbe decades ago and I remember it being very good.

Speaking of Idi Amin, Forest Whitaker portrayed him in the excellent movie "The Last King of Scotland".

From Wikipedia:

The Last King of Scotland tells the fictional story of Dr. Nicholas Garrigan (James McAvoy), a young Scottish doctor who travels to Uganda and becomes the personal physician to the dictator Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker). The film is based on factual events of Amin's rule and the title comes from a reporter in a press conference who wishes to verify whether Amin declared himself the King of Scotland. Amin was known to invent and adopt fancy imperial titles for himself.

The Last King of Scotland received wide critical acclaim. Particular focus went to Whitaker, who received outstanding critical acclaim for his performance as dictator Idi Amin in the film. He won Best Actor at the Academy Awards among others, and the film was also a financial success.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:15 am 

I agree, MM. The Last King was a great movie. We loved it. As far as Entebbe, I actually was staying with some folks in Israel who lived next door to one of the guys and his family who took part in that raid. I met them again when they came to the States bec. they were going to some military base, for some reason. The Entebbe movie was good, too, btw. Hope that made sense...It's been a long day... Nice being here, Morgaine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:24 am 
ADMIN

Hi again Morgaine :51

Glad you liked the Movies.. and interesting to hear of a real link to those events.

The IDF and Israel's response to provocation usually restore my hope in life.

I was impressed with the audacity of this raid... and its success was a joy at the time. The first movie I did realise would not contain all the real details.. but it too is a movie about hope. A demonstration that evil can be defeated if you stand up to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 pm 

Nice having you here Morgaine! Made perfect sense. :24