It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:32 am 
ADMIN

I am watching Kes...
I see what you mean about accents (not Geordie, but strong northern)... but I grew up with UK as well as US TV and movies etc... my wife comes from Manchester... a Lancashire lass, not TOO dissimilar from Yorkshire where Kes is set... she left when she was a baby, so no accent, but my older in-laws all had strong accents :)

I have to say the YT version is not the best picture or sound quality... so it makes it a bit more difficult.

I found a crisper version on YT... changed link :)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:24 am 
ADMIN

I enjoyed the movie... a bit bleak though, and the ending was sudden to say the least.

A general point that has occurred to me before is that US audiences have "low tolerance" for ambiguous or "not final" movie endings... whereas there is more of that in British films... Kes more so than other British movies though.

I DID NOT have a childhood anything like as bleak as Casper... but there were aspects of the childhood, schools etc which I remember from my era... going to school at about the time the movie was set. I do remember (once) getting "the cane" on my hands.... I can assure you it hurts a lot... and I remember I could not hold a pencil etc or do any school work for the rest of the day... makes no sense... I have also had a leather strap across the butt.... at least one can still do school work after that :)
(those were the ONLY two occasions I experienced corporal punishment)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:15 am 

I saw all of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo films and loved them. Such a shame that the writer of this trilogy dropped dead so early.

Haven't seen Kes but I do love to hear dialects yet I believe you that it may be hard to understand some of what they're saying. I'd probably be upset at the part where the kestrel is killed.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:18 am 

Hi Packy, it is so sad about the writer, I don't think the writer even lived long enough to any of the movies made, but I could be wrong. I did really enjoy all of them even the one where she is buried but my favorite one was the first one. I enjoyed the subtle gloom that seemed to settle over everything.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:56 am 

TheHoff....oh yes, Legolas made the LOTR movies worth watching all by his handsome sexy self.

Carma...Have you read the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo books? They were great, especially the first one (like the movies). Gravity was awesome visually and I love survival stories, but kinda trite in places.

My favorites tend to be dark and/or philosophical. Children of Men, Inception, The Matrix trilogy, Brazil.....

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:03 am 

Rumpole....About Americans' intolerance for ambiguous movie endings. That's because collectively we are certain about everything. One in ten if us swear that aliens beamed up that Malaysian plane, passengers and all. And as I recall, 6 out of 10 are positive that the "theory" of evolution is a hoax.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 pm 
ADMIN

Carmelita wrote:
I am going to try to find this one, “Lemon Tree”it sounds intriguing.

I googled Lemon Tree... it does look intriguing.... found a link and added it to movies.

I will report back when I have watched it.

Also posted "There will be blood"

Lemon tree is of particular interest.... My Wife's Niece "discovered" her Jewish roots (via Wife's Grandma)... I was vaguely aware of that.. but my wife and parents and younger relatives had absolutely no Jewish connections apparent. (We did send our daughter to start school at a Jewish private school... but that was only because we needed a school in central city where we both were all day... no mention of wife's Jewish connections came up then either). Anyway... the Niece went to Israel... stayed in a Settlement on the West Bank... eventually married into a STRICT Jewish family... married a guy working as a security guard on West Bank. I was not in direct contact... but I heard a lot from my sister in law. This Movie will give me scenes to put those tales in context perhaps. Niece now has family herself... they have moved from Israel to NZ.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:46 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
I enjoyed the movie... a bit bleak though, and the ending was sudden to say the least.

A general point that has occurred to me before is that US audiences have "low tolerance" for ambiguous or "not final" movie endings... whereas there is more of that in British films... Kes more so than other British movies though.

I DID NOT have a childhood anything like as bleak as Casper... but there were aspects of the childhood, schools etc which I remember from my era... going to school at about the time the movie was set. I do remember (once) getting "the cane" on my hands.... I can assure you it hurts a lot... and I remember I could not hold a pencil etc or do any school work for the rest of the day... makes no sense... I have also had a leather strap across the butt.... at least one can still do school work after that :)
(those were the ONLY two occasions I experienced corporal punishment)

Sorry Rumpole I thought that I had responded to this. I’m probably less of a “typical American” as I don’t mind an ambiguous ending. I do agree that we Americans as a general rule want everything tied up with a bow in an hour and a half.

In Kes, Judd, is referred to as “Our Judd” by almost everyone is that of any regional significance? Here we wouldn’t use that term as universally as it was used in the film, as it would be a more familiar term.

Thanks for the Lemon Tree link.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:49 pm 

Hi Hope, I haven’t read the books, though they look good. I have a whole boatload of books on my “list” to read.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:58 pm 
ADMIN

"Our ....." is a common term. Family members referring to another family. It probably is more common "oop North" but I think often used in other parts of UK. I did not notice the "more universal" use of it while watching Kes... but not that surprised. It most likely extends to circle of people you know.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:22 pm 

Yep, they all used it when referring to Judd, the shop keepers even the coach. The most intense scene for me was the locker room. Let's just say if I were Billy's mum, you all could have a thread in here about me as I would have throttled the coach. Of course Billy's mum was part of the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:41 pm 
ADMIN

British Schools... especially in those days.... did not have most parents actively involved at all... even those who made a point of taking an interest would not see the details of what went on. My guess is that for many it's still the same today. Growing up is TOUGH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:30 am 
ADMIN

Lemon Tree is a good movie... I wont spoil it for others.

It is a view from "the other side" at least for me.

Shame about the subtitles...(but I prefer that to dubbed movies)... it does make you focus on the movie... you cant look away and do other things or else you miss what is going on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:43 am 
ADMIN

There will be blood is a good movie too :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:15 am 
ADMIN

I just posted a link to "Working Girl" in the movies thread.

Never seen it before... late as always. :doh

A simple, enjoyable "Romance"... with a happy ending :rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:26 pm 
ADMIN

A Fave Godfather scene

"My Offer is Nothing"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:24 pm 

The Grey is an awesome movie!!! It's on Netflix. I watched this a few months ago but re watched it again the other night when Spike had it on their channel. It has Liam Neeson and Dermot Mulroney in it. Here's a brief synopsis from IMDB...

"After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led by a skilled huntsman to survival, but a pack of merciless wolves haunts their every step."

This movie seriously kept me on the edge of my seat. The first time I watched it, I was surprised I never heard of it before. Here is the trailer for it...

Post subject: Carlito's Way
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:22 pm 

I have seen this movie a million times. Last weekend it came on TV and at the beginning it listed Sean Penn as being in the movie. First I ever noticed this. Being a movie fan of his (I don't watch movies based on political beliefs of actors) I could not recall ever seeing him in this movie. So I watched closely and again, did not see him in the movie. After it was over, I went on IMDB and looked up the movie and sure as heck there he was. LOL Well no wonder I couldn't find him in the movie!

LOL He was the guy that looked like Larry from the 3 Stooges. Still totally blown away that, that was him!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:42 pm 

Just saw the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel at the movie theater. It was as fantastic as the First one. If you get a chance to see it you won't be sorry!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46 pm 

FroggieLegs wrote:
The Grey is an awesome movie!!! It's on Netflix. I watched this a few months ago but re watched it again the other night when Spike had it on their channel. It has Liam Neeson and Dermot Mulroney in it. Here's a brief synopsis from IMDB...

"After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led by a skilled huntsman to survival, but a pack of merciless wolves haunts their every step."

This movie seriously kept me on the edge of my seat. The first time I watched it, I was surprised I never heard of it before. Here is the trailer for it...
Love Niam! Never heard about this movie before either. If I find it on Netflix it's on the docket tonight! :91

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next