It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:39 pm 

Just started Jodi Piccoult's "The Storyteller" First chapter grabbed me. A story of the Holocaust. Finished rereading Herman Wouk's "The Hope". Am on an Israel and Holocaust reading list. Also just finished Philip Kerr's new Bernie Gunther book of Nazi German from 1933 to 1946 called "A Man Without Breath" and his trio of short stories "Berlin Noir".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 pm 

I just looked up "The Storyteller". It got great reviews.

The last novels I read were "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (5 so far) by George R. R. Martin. HBO turned them into the show "A Game of Thrones".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 pm 

I used to be a voracious reader, but real life and being online has really gotten in the way of my reading. (I have always had an interest in Holocaust reading, too, Cherpa!)

For now, I am trying to get through the book, "The Last Investigation" by Gaeton Fonzi. It is considered THE premier book about the Kennedy assassination and cover up. I happen to be his youngest daughter's very close friend of 35 years and spent much time in their home. Mr. Fonzi was a soft-spoken, humble, intelligent, man. I last saw him a year before he passed. He passed away last August from complications of severe Parkinson's and it shames me to say how little I and even his own family knew of the importance of this man's work. My friend, when she sent me the autographed copy of his book wrote a note, asking me to do Cliff Notes for her! :lol

His widow is now pushing for further recognition, using the fact that this year is the 50th anniversary of the assassination. She has had government officials (and other equally sketchy officials) visiting her, trying to convince her to turn over some very damaging tapes and other information.

Also turns out that Mr. Fonzi was Bill O'Reilly's mentor when Bill was a young man, just starting out in the investigative journalist business. Bill O'Reilly called personally to express his condolences to the Fonzi family.

Quote:
"...But historians and researchers consider Mr. Fonzi’s book among the best of the roughly 600 published on the Kennedy assassination, and credit him with raising doubts about the government’s willingness to share everything it knew."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/12/us/ga ... ation.html

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1638 ... estigation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:36 pm 

Robert Crais -- his new book Suspect. Entertaining and gripping. About a cop and his dog. Fast paced, provocative -- his best book perhaps. Some more about the book here:
http://www.robertcrais.com/
And if you're not familiar with his books, more about him and them here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Crais

-Dashiell Hammett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:41 pm 

Reading "Starvation Heights" true story about a quack so-called dr. in the NE United States who used fasting diets with enemas and massages in order to cure people of their ills in the early 1900s. People died and their assets were taken by the dr. who eventually was tried and convicted. Very interesting.

Liesel, I'll have to go check the Whitey B. thread as not sure if I saw it or not. Oldtimer's ya know.

To add Liesel I finally answered you on November 14 but it was with another link so not sure were able to notice it. Wow time flies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:33 pm 

I'm reading "Lush Life" by Richard Price, & "Irene: The Commandant Camille Verhoeven Trilogy" by Pierre Lemaitre. Both excellently written crime genre novels: the first situated in New York's Lower East Side' the second in Paris.

A Google of either title will provide better descriptions of both books then I could provide; but both novels are way above average, and recommended .

-Dashiell Hammett