It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:35 pm 

Published on Jun 6, 2012 by NASAexplorer

Launched on Feb. 11, 2010, the Solar Dynamics Observatory, or SDO, is the most advanced spacecraft ever designed to study the sun. During its five-year mission, it will examine the sun's atmosphere, magnetic field and also provide a better understanding of the role the sun plays in Earth's atmospheric chemistry and climate. SDO provides images with resolution 8 times better than high-definition television and returns more than a terabyte of data each day.

On June 5 2012, SDO collected images of the rarest predictable solar event--the transit of Venus across the face of the sun. This event happens in pairs eight years apart that are separated from each other by 105 or 121 years. The last transit was in 2004 and the next will not happen until 2117.

The videos and images displayed here are constructed from several wavelengths of extreme ultraviolet light and a portion of the visible spectrum. The red colored sun is the 304 angstrom ultraviolet, the golden colored sun is 171 angstrom, the magenta sun is 1700 angstrom, and the orange sun is filtered visible light. 304 and 171 show the atmosphere of the sun, which does not appear in the visible part of the spectrum.

This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/a010900/a010996/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks Mal.... I heard about it on the news.... always like to see what I can of these once in a life time, cosmic events.

The video images of the Sun are spectacular... but I could photo-shop a more impressive "Venus"... it looks like a photo-shopped black dot to me :78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 pm 

Yes, I guess the title of the story should be Stunning footage of the Sun captured by the SDO!!