It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rock Family Trees
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:15 am 
ADMIN

Rock Family Trees

A book I bought back in the 80's.. (apparently drawn 1979), Even back then groups had evolved and members branched out to form other groups.

I shudder to think what the links would look like with all the changes since

And bits of one tree cross over into other trees

Hard to copy double A3 pages... I see some copies already online, eg

Post subject: Re: Rock Family Trees
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:03 am 
ADMIN

I see that the BBC did a series on Rock family trees.... Based on Pete Frame's book

http://blog.familyofrock.com/index.php/the-series

12 programmes were made for BBC 2 in total.
50 minutes per programme.

First series, initially transmitted on BBC2 June/July 1995

THE FLEETWOOD MAC STORY

DEEP PURPLE PEOPLE
inc Rainbow, Whitesnake, Gillan

THE BRITISH R&B BOOM
with Yardbirds, Cream, Manfreds, Mayall, etc

THE BIRMINGHAM BEAT
inc the Move, Moody Blues, ELO, Wizzard

NEW YORK PUNK
with Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, NY Dolls, etc

NEW MERSEYBEAT
Echo & B’Men, Teardrop Explodes, Frankie GTH, Dead or Alive

Second series, initially transmitted on BBC2 Sept/Oct 1998

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’
Mamas & Papas, Lovin’ Spoonful, Blood Sweat & Tears

SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH
Ozzy etc

THE MERSEY SOUND
Gerry & P’makers, Billy J Kramer, Searchers, Big Three, etc

BANSHEES & OTHER CREATURES
Siouxsie, Public Image, Adam & Ants, Slits, etc

THE PROG-ROCK YEARS
with Yes, ELP, Nice, Asia, Arthur Brown, Buggles, etc

MANCHESTER
with New Order, Joy Division, Buzzcocks, Happy Mondays, Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:04 am 
ADMIN

Rock Family Trees The Prog Rock years - full length version

Other parts of the series available... see YT for links

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:07 am 
ADMIN

Rock Family Tree - The Birmingham Beat, Feat: ELO, Moody Blues, The Move.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:22 am 
ADMIN

From Wikepedia......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Frame ... ion_series

Television series

The Rock Family Trees books were used as the basis for the BBC Television series Rock Family Trees in the 1990s. The series was narrated by John Peel.

Series one

Series two

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:40 pm 

Something that I have always found interesting about Rock families or legends (or whatever the heck you want to call this) is Eric Clapton and Pattie Boyd.

George Harrison had left Pattie in the protective care of Eric Clapton so that she would be faithful to him.

Pattie left George for Eric in short form.

Sad or twisted enough, but Eric’s reasoning years later is what is really fascinating. He said he married Pattie because he respected George. Eric’s family life had been very dysfunctional and I believe he was 14(?) when he discovered the woman he always thought was his sister.was actually his mum and his “parents” were his grandparents.

Eric said he never trusted anyone after that or had any idea what “love” meant. That meant that he didn't know how to fall in love with a woman or pick a wife. Eric said that he respected and loved George Harrison, he thought George knew how to pick a wife and that meant Pattie must be a good choice for a wife. So his drug addled brain and maladaptive thoughts told him the reasonable thing to do was to be with Pattie.

Yikes!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:01 pm 
ADMIN

You seem to "know your onions" Carm....

All I can add is that I have always "just known" that the song Layla was about Pattie Boyd.... sort of confirmed by Wikepedia:

Quote:
In 1966 George Harrison married Pattie Boyd, a model he met during the filming of A Hard Day's Night. During the late 1960s, Clapton and Harrison became close friends. Clapton contributed uncredited guitar work on Harrison's song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on The Beatles' White Album, and Harrison co-wrote and played guitar pseudonymously (as L'Angelo Misterioso) on Cream's "Badge" from Goodbye. However, trouble was brewing for Clapton. Between his tenures in Cream and Blind Faith, he fell in love with Boyd.

The title, "Layla", was inspired by the story of Layla and Majnun, by the 12th-century Persian poet Nizami Ganjavi. When he wrote "Layla", Clapton had been told the story by his friend Ian Dallas,who was in the process of converting to Islam. Nizami's tale, about a moon princess who was married off by her father to someone other than the one who was desperately in love with her, resulting in Majnun's madness, struck a deep chord with Clapton.

Boyd divorced Harrison in 1977 and married Clapton in 1979 during a concert stop in Tucson, Arizona. Harrison was not bitter about the divorce and attended Clapton's wedding party with Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney. During their relationship, Clapton wrote another love ballad for Pattie called "Wonderful Tonight" (1977). Clapton and Boyd divorced in 1988 after several years of separation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:09 pm 

Actually I don't know much, but I was so amazed at Eric's thinking and George and Eric's continued good relationship, that the story of Eric choosing Pattie has always stuck in my memory. Of course Pattie and Eric had a terribly stormy relationship as I think they were both emotionally damaged and at least the beginning of his marriage was during his very heavy heroine use.

"Wonderful Tonight" one of the most beautiful love songs of all time. And true to who Eric was and who Pattie was to Eric.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:00 pm 
ADMIN

I am watching the Joy Division episode.

And God created Manchester - broadcast 9 October 1998. Featuring The Buzzcocks, Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTsgKhDbJnQ

I was impressed with the song "Love will tear us apart" when it came out.... became an instant Joy Division fan... but Ian Curtis committed suicide around that time.. so there was no more Joy Division after that. I did buy previous albums.. and tried to follow the group renamed as "New Order" but apart from the great song "Blue Monday" I can't recall anything else by New Order?

The Family Tree relating to all this was NOT in the original book. It was all happening at about the time the book came out... early 80's. The video shows a tree so obviously Pete Frame went on drawing them and the Joy division one was used when this show was made... late 90's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:10 pm 
ADMIN

Very interesting stuff...though personally it is the Ian Curtis/Joy Division.New order branch that has relevance to music I have experienced.

Well... that has confirmed why I liked Joy Division.... I have always been "into" "Mopey" music... lyrics about feelings and "angst".

It is sad that Ian Curtis did have psychological problems... beyond that even... psychiatric disorder(s). Hard to "diagnose" from afar.. but the mention of epileptic fits could indicate something physical (in the brain)?.. treatable? He might have been able to find relief with some sort of psychiatric therapy?
The Joy Division band members had some talent... and Ian Curtis provided some substance to the lyrics.... the music is a legacy to Ian Curtis.
The point was made that the suicide of Ian Curtis actually gives some "legitimacy" to the angst he expressed in his song lyrics. He obviously was really troubled
I don't blame the remaining band members for pursuing what ever music was right for them... and it was popular it seems.. but for me personally.... New Order are not what I like.... apart from the hit "Blue Monday"... which is great :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:20 am 
ADMIN

Just watched the Fleetwood Mac thing :)

The Fleetwood Mac story - broadcast 24 June 1995. Featuring the formation and spin offs of Fleetwood Mac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYaE5qF ... 6703B00C6D

The EARLY Fleetwood Mac and all that crowd were part of what I listened to. I was a bit surprise with the "revival" album with Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham in the line up.... it certainly gave the OLD group a shot of youth and vitality. Different from the original group.... but still great I bought the "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" albums. A fan of the revival group... and I do like Lindsay Buckingham singing and Guitar work :)
The doco was interesting... I was aware of personnel changes... but not the details :)