It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:36 pm 

I don't think you are part of that noise. You will find that Chip and I are a lot a like when it comes to these cases. I respect everything he says.

The key thing here is what level of force was justified at what point.

What do you think justifies the use of deadly force to stop Scott from fleeing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:41 pm 

Again I haven't drawn that conclusion yet because there is not enough evidence known to myself, but, if the facts were only what we know now, I think it was reasonable for Slager to assume that Scott's behavior indicated that he was a physical danger to civilians and officers in the immediate area.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm 

There is a key word in the supreme court ruling.

“poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.”

Significant. That means there has to be more than just a thought that it might happen. It means there must be a method to do so. Not just a possibility, a real bonafide and viable threat. So, how it might play out is that, the prosecution will say that there was no probable cause to meet the Garner criteria. The defense will have to prove that there was. At this point, we don't know of anything besides Slager saying "I thought he had my taser" that will even come close to meeting the criteria. Then the prosecution will show the video and suggest that Slager threw the taser in order to get his gun. There is enough of a question about what is happening in the video that the jury may think that is exactly what he is doing.

Keeping in mind that when it comes to these types of defenses it has to be affirmative.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:18 pm 

Scott has just for over what is it 300 feet "resisted" arrest, "tussled" with an officer, fled from detainment, the officer thought Scott had his taser, Scott lied to Slager giving Slager reason to believe that the car that Scott was in could have been stolen etc so I personally believe the totality of the events that preceded Scott's death could very easily have made Scott a sigifigant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

Officer Slager did not have the luxury of days of reflection he had to make a judgement call in seconds.

Sorry if that is a bit choppy, I am on the phone and will pop back later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 pm 

During the actual altercation the shoot would have been a good shoot for sure. To shoot someone who is fleeing has to meet a lot higher standard. If there was a verbal threat, one would think Slager would have mentioned it in his statement right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:44 pm 

mung wrote:
During the actual altercation the shoot would have been a good shoot for sure. To shoot someone who is fleeing has to meet a lot higher standard. If there was a verbal threat, one would think Slager would have mentioned it in his statement right?

During the altercation we are in agreement then.

To shoot someone who is fleeing who presents a significant threat of death or physical harm to the officer or civilians (we are in agreement that Scott did mere seconds ago) is a legal defense.

I have not heard nor read Slager's statement, in fact I don't even know if Slager made a more detailed statement after his initial statement at the scene of the altercation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:04 am 
ADMIN

From CTH.....

South Carolina Legal Experts Advocate For “The Safari Principle” – Officer Slager Should Have Stayed In His Car… And Not Chased Walter Scott…
Posted on April 13, 2015 by sundance

The first advocacy for “The Safari Principle” surfaced prior to the George Zimmerman trial, in the summer of 2012, when the professionally aggrieved first began the meme: “He shouldn’t have gotten out of his car”.

Historically we used to blame the victim by saying he/she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, politically it became too difficult to define where the wrong places were, and simultaneously legislators continued to struggle defining the right vs. wrong times people were allowed to be in these places.

In order to protect the criminal class a more specific rule was needed.

After various opinions were considered eventually the advocates settled upon The Safari Principle – A selected narrative used throughout 2012/2013 as a point of advocacy driving home the belief that George Zimmerman had no right to follow, then exit his vehicle, when he saw a suspicious Trayvon Martin peering through windows and casing houses.

The “Safari Principle” evolved to further claim ‘if you do get out of your car, you deserve what you get’ with the implication by the left-wingers’ that young black males cannot control their behavior.

...more at link

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/201 ... ter-scott/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:10 am 

Here's my slowed down version of the shooting. The only thing I did with the video is slow it down and turn portions right side up for easier viewing. Nothing else was edited or added...
(Wide version)

If you watch it carefully, (and I suggest on a monitor and not a phone) It looks to me like the taser cable is not coming from Slager's chest. But rather from his hand area. This is confusing to me because, he clearly pulls out his gun which is on his right side. How did the taser cable come out of that? My husband suggests Slager had taser in left hand and gun in right. I'm not sure if I go with that but... see what you think. BTW, it works great if you stop and start constantly at the point where he "shoots"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:12 am 

Oh and just want to say, the only reason I put my watermark on it is because I am tired of people stealing my shit off youtube then uploading them to their account and putting their names on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:16 am 
ADMIN

Hi Froggie.. will watch.

I dont blame you on Watermark.. if bastards pinching stuff.

I like seeing ppl post my stuff.. provided they just mention my name :cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:25 am 

"The old corrupt Scheme Team gang have emerged, but I fear whatever happens in Slager case, he wont be their last target."

Actually, I'm slightly encouraged by the fact that Crump is only participating in an 'advisory' role in this case.

Is he sitting this one out by choice or is he barred from representing the clients?

Only attorneys in good standing in their own state are granted pro hac vice to practice in another state, and I'm hoping that perhaps the Florida Bar is finally investigating their shenanigans. The Bell family defamation countersuit and the whole fake forensic pathologist dog and pony show they put on live on national television surely haven't escaped the attention of the Florida Bar's disciplinary committee.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:27 am 
ADMIN

From CTH....

Managing The Optics – Passenger in Walter Scott’s Car Speaks Out: ‘He Didn’t Deserve to Die’…
Posted on April 14, 2015 by sundance

~ A Humorous Tale Of Competing Narratives ~

Since we identified the Walter Scott passenger as Pierre Fulton, we must have caught Ryan Julison a little off guard – because an odd and somewhat humorous dynamic surfaces. The first media entity to inquire about passenger Mr. Pierre Fulton gets the following background from his family:

....more at link
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/201 ... ve-to-die/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 am 

Rumpole wrote:
Hi Froggie.. will watch.

I dont blame you on Watermark.. if bastards pinching stuff.

I like seeing ppl post my stuff.. provided they just mention my name :cool

I'm not happy with the size of that video. I am uploading a bigger one right now. For some reason Windows Movie Maker causes the video's to shrink yet Windows Live Movie Maker doesn't.

Edit Rumpole
Replaced with "wide" in the original vid post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:33 am 
ADMIN

K

I watched... but need to spend time and pause and look... us old guys dont have greatest eyesight :cool

I rely on what younguns see.. often. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:39 am 

Rumpole wrote:
K

I watched... but need to spend time and pause and look... us old guys dont have greatest eyesight :cool

I rely on what younguns see.. often. :lol

LOL Well I have some screen shots and they are not even a second apart. the first one shows no taser cable and the second one does. Only difference in the two pictures is Scott's foot is moved a bit.

Also, the cable does not look like it is coming from Slager's chest but instead his hand. Now the question is, why did it just appear out of the blue? My Husband seems to think Slager tased him, then started shooting him. The Chief said at the press conference that Scott was tased and only 1 cable was still stuck in him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:50 am 
ADMIN

What press conference? Is there a link to that?

I see what you are saying.. and I see the wire clearly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:30 am 

A couple of observations and questions.
First, it is possible that the cable isn't visible in the first picture because the light isn't hitting it the right way for the camera to pick it up.

Now a question. You can hear the taser arcing at the beginning of the video. Does this type of taser make an arc if only one probe is deployed?

Lastly, the one thing this video does for me is totally debunk the green blob on top of the black blob theory. If you watch very carefully, you can see in the subsequent frames from the infamous green blob screen capture, that the black blob is very quickly taking up more screen real estate than the green blob to the point where you can't even see the green blob anymore. So...there is no way that the green blob was fully on top of the black blob and the black blob gets up that fast and covers the green blob. The black blob seems to be attempting to get the green blob into a position where he can be cuffed. Watch it carefully and pay close attention to the positions when they get to the left of the fence post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 am 

Hi folks and thanks Froggie, I'll have to catch up tomorrow night or Thursday as I'm headed out of town for a couple days. Fabulous work Froggie (even though I haven't watched it yet your reputation precedes you :69 )

Ciao!

Carm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:02 pm 

nivico wrote:
"The old corrupt Scheme Team gang have emerged, but I fear whatever happens in Slager case, he wont be their last target."

Actually, I'm slightly encouraged by the fact that Crump is only participating in an 'advisory' role in this case.

Is he sitting this one out by choice or is he barred from representing the clients?

Much of what would have been Mr. Crump's initial task has already been accomplished. Slager is in custody and charged.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:37 pm 

Froggie...

Can you get a still frame shot of the object that everybody claims is the taser bouncing behind the officer?

Someone over at the CTH pointed out last night that the object looked like sunglasses, and rewatching the video, by George I think they're right. You can really tell they're sunglasses when the UBO (unidentified bouncing object) comes to rest.

And if the UBO is a pair of sunglasses, then where's the taser?

Slager doesn't have it...

I also wonder if the taser wire suddenly appearing in the frame is because Scott shot it at the officer... yakmaster posted a screen grab of Scott when he turns to run and it does look like he's holding something in his left hand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next