It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:01 pm 
ADMIN

James Alex Fields, Jr.

Charged with second degree murder, three counts of malicious wounding and failing to stop at an accident that resulted in a death

C/VILLE Trial Reference (Court docs etc) (NO DISCUSSION)
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=1893

NEWS EVENT DISCUSSION THREAD (Charlottesville Car drives into protards)
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1874

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 pm 
ADMIN

James Fields, accused driver in Charlottesville attack, appears in court
Oliver Laughland in Charlottesville, Virginia

James Alex Fields Jr is seen participating in the ‘Unite the Right’ rally before his arrest in Charlottesville.

Fields, 20, addresses packed Virginia courthouse by video link from county jail in first public appearance since since being charged

The 20-year-old is accused of mowing down a crowd of anti-fascist protesters, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer, a local paralegal, and injuring 19 others after 48 hours of violence in Charlottesville that has again exposed America’s fractured race relations to the world.

Fields appeared before the circuit judge Robert Downer by video link from the county jail on a small screen, dressed in a black and white striped jumpsuit, his head bowed for much of the short arraignment hearing.

“Mr Fields, you are charged with a number of felonies, including murder and malicious wounding,” Downer told the inmate, who wore the undercut hairstyle synonymous with the “alt-right”.

Fields answered in short sentences as Downer ran quickly through the hearing. The court heard how the young man from Ohio earned a bi-monthly salary of $650 from employment in Ohio.

The US army has said that Fields signed up for basic training in August 2015 but was “released from active duty due to a failure to meet training standards” four months later.

Asked if he had any ties to the community in Charlottesville, Fields, staring into the camera, replied: “No, sir.”

The public defender’s office could not represent Fields, the court heard, as attorneys working in the office had relatives wounded in the attack. Fields was assigned a local attorney, Charles Webber, by the court and told he would remain in custody until a bond hearing later in the month.

...more at link
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... der-charge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:12 pm 
ADMIN

Hearing postponed for driver accused in fatal Charlottesville crash
By Neal Augenstein, August 24, 2017 4:21 pm

WASHINGTON — The scheduled hearing for the man charged with murder for driving his car into a crowd of counterprotesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, earlier this month has been postponed.

Prosecutors and the attorney for James Alex Fields Jr. filed a motion asking a judge to set Dec. 14 as the date for a preliminary hearing.

Earlier, the judge had set Aug. 25 as a “control date” hearing, in which prosecutors and Fields’ attorney were to choose a date for the preliminary hearing.

The appointment of former Albemarle County prosecutor Denise Lunsford as Fields’ attorney made the hearing moot.

Fields’ attorney has not requested a bond hearing. In Virginia, a presumption against being granted bond exists for a defendant charged with murder.

Currently, Fields is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 32-year-old Heather Heyer.

He is also charged with nine other felonies, including malicious wounding, aggravated malicious wounding, and hit and run.

Prosecutors have not disclosed in filings any possible motive or evidence gathered against Fields, 20, of Maumee, Ohio.

As WTOP reported, search warrants are sealed in the case.

...more at link
http://wtop.com/virginia/2017/08/fields ... postponed/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:46 pm 

Thank you, Rumpole! So glad you made a separate folder! :77

I watched a short news clip of Fields' first court appearance (not worth posting) and I noticed no live cameras in court. They had drawings of him and the judge. :stamp

Looking for court records, but it seems VA has a strict request process. I have some other ideas.

Thanks, again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 pm 

The public defense attorney next up (on the wheel as they call it) could not represent Fields b/c the attorney had relatives associated with the event/march, so Weber was appointed at Fields' arraignment. I've been wondering why Weber is not listed as representing Fields.

Lunsford takes on Fields case
By Courteney Stuart | NewsPlex.com | August 16, 2017

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (NEWSPLEX) -- Former Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney Denise Lunsford has been appointed to represent 20-year-old Ohio resident James Fields, Jr., who has been charged with second-degree murder and malicious wounding in an Aug. 12 car attack that killed 32-year-old Heather Heyer and injured 19 others.

Lunsford replaces Fields' first court-appointed attorney Charles "Buddy" Weber, who is a spokesperson for the plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the City of Charlottesville over the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue in Emancipation Park.

Source: http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Lu ... 38973.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 am 

A special agent with the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force said the suspect accused of killing a Charlottesville protester will not face domestic terror charges, since the federal statute does not outline penalties for the crime.

FBI special agent: Charlottesville suspect won't face terror charge (02:16m)

ETA:
However, after posting this I read another article where AG Sessions says Fields may be charged with a federal hate crime. Sessions said there is no rush, in making that decision, until the investigation is completed.

Last edited by Molly on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:14 am 
ADMIN

Thanks Molly..

It seems that "Nobody will be charged with Domestic Terrorism" because there is no such charge... shame!

I would charge Bat Boy and other terrorists blocking the street... but that's just me. :cool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:25 pm 
ADMIN

IF I was Field's Lawyer... I'd give him a makeover before Trial day :cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:40 pm 

Court documents:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3562972 ... -Documents

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:53 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks Molly

I assume (hope) this guy uploads documents.. ongoing?

I have given this case its own Sub-Forum

Including a separate thread for REFERENCE LINKS AND INFO

C/VILLE TRIAL REFERENCE (Court docs etc) (NO DISCUSSION)
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=1893

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:02 pm 

All the documents are there through his last hearing, August 24.

I hope along with you that it is updated. Although most documents are repetitive, plain vanilla or hard to read, maybe one or two will spark interest down the road closer to trial. Still looking for a Virginia site with official court documents.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:02 pm 
ADMIN

I think this case is OVERCHARGED... as often happens... this should not be a MURDER (2nd degree) case

I think overcharging is a common Prosecutors TRICK. They incorporate "lesser included charges" and play for a "Consolation Verdict" from a Jury.

I have often opined that Prosecutors should be LIMITED if they opt to overcharge.....eg in this case... They should have to PROVE Murder beyond reasonable doubt.... or the Defendant is NOT GUILTY ...acquitted

This is a SINGLE EVENT...... Again, it is a prosecutor ploy to list a whole bunch of charges.
IF the prosecutors PROVE that Fields ploughed into a crowd of people with premeditation and evil intent.. then he is GUILTY... responsible for the death and all the injuries and damage (at least damage IN FRONT of the car... I would still dispute that he is in any way responsible for injuries to people who ran to put themselves in the path of a reversing car).... OR... if he was in fear of his life and reacted with no malice ... purely for the sake of his own safety...... Then he is NOT GUILTY... of ALL OF IT.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:52 am 
ADMIN

FWIW....

Decided to note here report already posted and discussed in The General Charlottesville event as news thread

Medical Examiner Rules Heyer Died from Blunt Force Injury
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1874&p=125468&hilit=heather+heyer#p126599

Not at all happy with this scrap of a story...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 am 
ADMIN

Dec. 14 as the date for a preliminary hearing.

1:00 PM EST

CROWDS of protards expected outside Court :roll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:48 pm 

Charlottesville Court Holds Hearings Connected to Aug. 12 Violence
By John Early | NBC29.com | Updated: Dec 14, 2017 2:27 PM CST

Police block off traffic around Charlottesville Circuit Court

Police shields being unloaded off a truck by Charlottesville Circuit Court

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WVIR) - Charlottesville Circuit Court is slowly going through a handful of preliminary hearings for four men accused of violent acts from August 12.

Barriers were set up around the courthouse early Thursday, December 14, and police kept traffic away from the building. Authorities expected large crowds in the courtroom, as well as out in the cold, as Judge Robert Downer presided over the hearings.

A few people could be seen outside of court before the preliminary hearings, including Unite the Right rally organizer Jason Kessler.

Court got underway around 1 p.m., first up was Richard Wilison Preston. He is a Baltimore-area member of the Ku Klux Klan, and is accused of firing a gun during the clashes between Unite the Right supporters and protesters. Judge Downer certified a charge of discharging a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school around 3 p.m.

A grand jury is now scheduled to take up Preston's charge on Monday, December 18.

The three other defendants set to go before the judge are James Alex Fields Jr., Alex Michael Ramos, and Jacob Scott Goodwin.

The city said it will keep a portion of East High Street - from 3rd Street NE and 4th Street NE - and 4th Street NE - from East High St. and Hedge Street - closed to traffic from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday.

Authorities are also limiting what people can bring into the courtroom: Charlottesville Sheriff's Office is not allowing an electronic devices, backpacks, purses, or any item it deems unsafe or potentially disruptive.

More at link: http://www.nbc29.com/story/37067522/cha ... 12-14-2017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:03 pm 

Man accused of killing Heather Heyer faces first-degree murder charge
By Ashley Monfort | NBC12.com | Thursday, December 14th 2017, 3:56 pm CST

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (WWBT) - The man accused of plowing into a crowd and killing Heather Heyer during the Unite the Right rally in August now faces a first-degree murder charge.

James Alex Fields Jr., of Ohio, was originally charged with second-degree murder in the incident that also injured 20 people.

A video surfaced after the incident that showed Fields taking part in the rally beforehand.

More at link: http://www.nbc12.com/story/37070290/man ... der-charge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:16 pm 
ADMIN

Looks to me like we are headed to yet another TRAVESTY of Justice..... OVERCHARGED by prosecution... aiming for a "consolation verdict" by a Jury out to appease a vocal lynch mob

News reports already Mis-state the facts... eg "drove into crowd after Neo Nazi gathering turned violent"... gives a false impression for sure... and it will get worse.

It seems the court info at Charlottesville District Court is now listed as Finalized.

I have added a link th Charlottesvill CIRCUIT Court... fields cases not shown.... YET! :cool

(See Reference Thread)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm 

Yeah, and we thought he was overcharged before today. :roll

Quote:
Each of these cases will be presented to a regular grand jury of the Charlottesville Circuit Court on Monday, December 18, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. Further proceedings in each case will be scheduled at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 pm 
ADMIN

IANAL but.....

That never slows me down :cool

1st Degree Murder (depending on jurisdiction) should include INTENT to kill... specific intent directed at a specific person.
Maybe intent could (at a pinch) be argued to be intent to kill somebody... anybody... but I see that as being difficult to establish.

I see Legal argument getting very messy... like the Oscar Pistorius Case in South Africa.... just sayin'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm 
ADMIN

I see mention various places that Heather Heyer's Mom BLAMES TRUMP! :lol

I wont bother posing a link!!

Looks to me like Heather Heyer was a heart attack waiting to happen... not Trump's Fault... you could say the Mom has some blame in passing on BAD eating habits... but ultimately it's Heather Heyer herself who "Ate all the pies" :roll

Also... even as she was.. Morbidly Obese... and with a car driving down that piece of the street.. she would have survived a few more hours at least... if she had just kept her fat ass on the sidewalk.. and not on the street where the cars are.
Again... Mom might have taught her better.. NOT to wander about on the street.