It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:57 am 

Rumpole wrote:
I can't see why not.... though the the 2 year old "he did it first" thing is more Bernie's style.

I don't think you can stop BS in opening statements. I do think though that MOM should object when Bernie says.. "he was ordered to stay in his car" or a variation.... that is a KEY LIE that Bernie has already used many times in court... a key part of the IMPRINTING he will try in his opening statement.

The state concedes, after 16 months of allowing this misinformation to be spread, it is factually incorrect. If I remember correctly, Bernie used the phrase "he was ordered to stay in his car" on more than one occasion in the courtroom. This should be headline news...was the state lying or just incompetent? Didn't they listen to the entire NEN tape? To me this is one of the biggest talking points of Trayvon supporters and the biased media. "He got out of the car after he was told not to". It's a point argued over and over again with the willfully ignorant. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard or read it. I'm glad MOM included it in his motion, it forced the state to admit it's a lie and they won't be able to use it to mislead the jury.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 am 

murderbythebook wrote:
The crux of the state's case is GZ confronted TM? How are they going to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt??

All I've seen indicates the Trayvon initiated the confrontation. I suspect the state will try to show George provoked it by having pursued Trayvon, while also pushing as much blame on George for every thing that happened that evening ....he did get out of his vehicle!.

Even if George had confronted and attacked Trayvon, the state must convince the jury that George pulling the trigger did not result from him

"...reasonably believ[ing] it [was] necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself ...or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

The reason George gave for such was Trayvon was reaching for his gun. That looks to me to be more so the specific instance that must be the "crux of the state's case" than the confrontation.

ADD: Just to give gredit where it is due... I'm not sure who posted the law I quoted, but my money on me having copied it from one of Chip's comments!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:32 am 

I missed the earliest part of the hearing today, so I have a couple question if any can help here:
Quote:
Prosecutor Richard Mantei says a witness won’t be available.

O’Mara agrees to take the witness’ deposition, but has concern not all the relevant issues with his testimony will be addressed.

Judge Nelson says the motion is to perpetuate the witness’s testimony.

The witness will be gone from June 24 to the middle of August.

What witness?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:35 am 

Quote:
Prosecutor John Guy says “he confronted Trayvon Martin.” He says that’s a fact of the case.

Was there more context to this claim? The only thing I recall that even comes close to this would be the PC Affidavit. I do not see it as a major problem, just trying to figure out WTH they have that would even hint at that "fact of the case."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:41 am 

Quote:
O’Mara addresses the motion for sanctions against the state. He mentions a report [on TM's phone] given to the state by an employee. He says the judge reserved on the sanction thinking he only sought financial, but he says that if he had the information back in November…

[...]

Judge Nelson says she doesn’t know what the state intends to introduce. She says she will take the authentication issue up with other objections.

I'm trying to recall who did not see this problem coming up! Problem with those phone records - and absent records - will be popping up throughout this trial.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:46 am 

kbp wrote:
I missed the earliest part of the hearing today, so I have a couple question if any can help here:
Prosecutor Richard Mantei says a witness won’t be available.

O’Mara agrees to take the witness’ deposition, but has concern not all the relevant issues with his testimony will be addressed.

Judge Nelson says the motion is to perpetuate the witness’s testimony.

The witness will be gone from June 24 to the middle of August.

What witness?

Never mind:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am 

Quote:
Prosecutor John Guy says “he confronted Trayvon Martin.” He says that’s a fact of the case.
kbp wrote:
Was there more context to this claim? The only thing I recall that even comes close to this would be the PC Affidavit. I do not see it as a major problem, just trying to figure out WTH they have that would even hint at that "fact of the case."

Context:

State (via Guy) admits that "self-appointed neighborhood watch captain" is not factual, in that Zimmerman started NHW program, and was appointed as its captain
State admits that the following is not factual, and says the State will not assert it: "Zimmerman got out of his car after he was ordered not to"
State indicates that the State would not rely *expressly* on racial aspect of profiling in claiming that Zimmerman profiled Martin.
State indicates that nothing precludes State from using terms such as "vigilante" and "wanna-be cop"
State indicates that "Zimmerman confronted Martin" is a key component of its case against Zimmerman, and is a point that it intends to use its evidence to prove.

Nelson agrees that non-factual statements should not be used ("self-appointed NHW captain", "got out of car after ordered not to"), but orders that "profiling" would be allowed, as well as terms such as "vigilante" and "wanna-be cop", and that the State would be allowed to indicate that "Zimmerman confronted Martin", as it is a key element of its case. Nelson points out that the Defense retains ability to point out to jury any of those elements that the State asserts in its opening argument, but fails to prove in its presentation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 am 

kbp wrote:
What witness?

Gordon Pleasants a college professor. Evidently George took one of his classes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 pm 

PJ E-22 struck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLhl1yW ... ed#t=2379s

Go to about 39:30 of video.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:30 pm 

chipbennett wrote:
Context:

State (via Guy) admits that "self-appointed neighborhood watch captain" is not factual, in that Zimmerman started NHW program, and was appointed as its captain
State admits that the following is not factual, and says the State will not assert it: "Zimmerman got out of his car after he was ordered not to"
State indicates that the State would not rely *expressly* on racial aspect of profiling in claiming that Zimmerman profiled Martin.
State indicates that nothing precludes State from using terms such as "vigilante" and "wanna-be cop"
State indicates that "Zimmerman confronted Martin" is a key component of its case against Zimmerman, and is a point that it intends to use its evidence to prove.

Nelson agrees that non-factual statements should not be used ("self-appointed NHW captain", "got out of car after ordered not to"), but orders that "profiling" would be allowed, as well as terms such as "vigilante" and "wanna-be cop", and that the State would be allowed to indicate that "Zimmerman confronted Martin", as it is a key element of its case. Nelson points out that the Defense retains ability to point out to jury any of those elements that the State asserts in its opening argument, but fails to prove in its presentation.

Thank you, sir!

ADD: I'm lost as to where they'll get any help on that "Zimmerman confronted Martin."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 pm 

"Nelson points out that the Defense retains ability to point out to jury any of those elements that the State asserts in its opening argument, but fails to prove in its presentation."

How will state prove that GZ confronted Martin? Does that mean that BDLR will serve W8 up for destruction?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm 

John_Galt wrote:
"Nelson points out that the Defense retains ability to point out to jury any of those elements that the State asserts in its opening argument, but fails to prove in its presentation."

How will state prove that GZ confronted Martin? Does that mean that BDLR will serve W8 up for destruction?

That's the only possible way - but even Witness 8 stated that *Martin* verbally confronted *Zimmerman*, and not the other way around.

No, I suspect that "circumstantial evidence" will devolve to "speculation by inference" (such as the garbage Gibreath testified at the bond hearing, when asked for evidence of who confronted whom), by portraying Zimmerman as a crazed wanna-be cop, pissed off at "assholes" who "always get away", contrasted against mama's boy, wanna-be astronaut Martin, just out on a candy run for his little brother. In that scenario, isn't it obvious who confronted whom?

Related note: if the State fails to have Witness 8 testify, and since Witness 8 provides the sum total of relevant, asserted fact to demonstrate probable cause, can the defense still argue the validity of the Probable Cause Affidavit? Or is it too late for that?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm 

http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Rel ... idavit.pdf

I just checked back over the PC Affidavit to see the exact wording mentioned about the confrontation:

"Zimmerman confronted Martin and a struggle ensued."

Not much there, but reading through it refreshed my memory that the Affidavit was written in a manner that leads one to believe the "calls for help... were recorded in 911 calls," plural.

The Frye left me believing the state "experts" only tried to match up Trayvon and George to screams from a single call. Maybe I missed it being addressed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm 

chipbennett wrote:
Related note: if the State fails to have Witness 8 testify, and since Witness 8 provides the sum total of relevant, asserted fact to demonstrate probable cause, can the defense still argue the validity of the Probable Cause Affidavit? Or is it too late for that?

I don't think defense can challenge the PCA at this point. Florida seems to lack provision for a preliminary hearing, so the stupid little rubber stamp proceeding in front of the magistrate appears to constitute judicial determination of probable cause. Florida does provide for summary judgment type pre-trial motion to dismiss when there is not evidence to support the charge, but that would have been DOA in front of Nelson.

Defense will make motion(s) for judgment of acquittal at trial. Defense can appeal denial of JOA motion to DCA in the event that jury does not acquit.

Some discussion here about challenging PCA:

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2012/6/6/ ... -Criticism

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 pm 

auscitizenmom wrote:
Gordon Pleasants a college professor. Evidently George took one of his classes.

Suspicious Thug Recognition 101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:53 pm 

John_Galt wrote:

Suspicious Thug Recognition 101

:Gslap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm 

I believe Nelson said she does not have a fax at home …not sure about email or phone.

I'm thinking the 5 depositions could create new reason(s) for a continuance, which evidently may have to wait until Monday morning for filing a motion on

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 pm 

"confronted" :

O'MARA: Zimmerman confronted Martin, those words. Where did you get that from?

GILBREATH: That was from the fact that the two of them obviously ended up together in that dog walk area. According to one of the witnesses that we talked with, there were arguing words going on before this incident occurred. But it was between two people.

O'MARA: Which means they met. I'm just curious with the word confronted and what evidence you have to support an affidavit you want in this judge to rely on that these facts with true and you use the word confronted. And I want to know your evidence to support the word confronted if you have any.

GILBREATH: Well, it's not that I have one. I probably could have used thirty words.

O'MARA: It is antagonistic word, would you agree?

GILBREATH: It could be considered that, yes.

O'MARA: Come up with words that are not antagonistic, met, came up to, spoke with.

GILBREATH: Got in physical confrontation with.

O'MARA: But you have nothing to support the confrontation suggestion, do you?

GILBREATH: I believe I answered it. I don't know how much more explanation you wish.

O'MARA: Anything you have, but you don't have any, do you?

GILBREATH: I think I've answered the question.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:57 pm 

kbp wrote:
I wish I had time available to review E22! The more I think about her (E22) being exposed, the less sense it makes to me. Why did she get as far as she did? O'Mara didn't have any note or two he hoped MIGHT illustrate the cause necessary to have her dropped, he had a folder so full it looked like a case within itself.

The 'oh yeah' moment when he presented his folder full of data on E22, the event that had Bernie playing his part in demanding information, should have made the Jerry Counelis story pale in comparison.

I almost feel like we've been played here, as if all involved let her slide just so they could use her for the final act in the Jury Selection show.

Way, way behind here, can you refresh my memeory of E22?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:17 pm 

"The crux of the state's case is GZ confronted TM? How are they going to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt??"

I don't think that's the crux of their case. They'll use it as part of their guilt narrative. I think they are going to say GZ's life wasn't in imminent danger when he shot TM. That's why it's so important to them to have the expert witness testimony identifying TM's voice on the 'screaming tape.'

Here's what I'm guessing the state will say. TM was screaming because GZ was pointing the gun at him, and verbally threatening to kill him. If George didn't shoot Martin when the fight was still in progress, but aimed his gun at him and shot him after he started screaming, that doesn't rise to the standards of the Florida statute 776.013 requirement of "reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm." The wounds George received from Trayvon during the fight were obviously not life-threatening. If he had the gun pointed at unarmed Trayvon, his life wasn't in jeopardy. Under that scenario, it doesn't matter who started the fight. If the jury comes to believe George shot Trayvon after he started screaming, they're not going to believe 'a reasonable' person would believe their life was still in danger, and 'self-defense' wouldn't apply under the statute definition.

We'll see what happens Monday, but I'm pretty sure the judge will rule to admit the State's audio experts. If so, the trial will probably pivot on dueling expert witnesses.

-Dashiell Hammett

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1006 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next