It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm 

#JusticeForShellie!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:13 pm 

I would expect a motion to dismiss, due to lack of grounds for the charge. (At least, I assume the defense can make such a pleading?)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:53 pm 

Another avenue: go to 5DCA with a Writ of Certiorari (or perhaps Habeas Corpus), on the grounds that a) the original special-prosecutor assignment did not include Shellie Zimmerman, and b) the special-prosecutor assignment extension was not filed/approved properly, and thus, that TeamCorey has no legal jurisdiction to pursue the charges?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm 

But didn't the governor give Corey jurisdiction over this when this question was first raised?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:43 pm 

Not guilty!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:09 pm 

Justfactsplz wrote:
But didn't the governor give Corey jurisdiction over this when this question was first raised?

No. The original EO that assigned Corey as the special prosecutor only indicated the homicide investigation in its jurisdiction. Thus, perjury charges against Shellie Zimmerman would have remained the jurisdiction of the 18th circuit. When Scott extended (extra-legally) the EO, he modified it to include the perjury prosecution of Shellie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:15 am 

ProfessorJacobson wrote:
Next up: Florida v. Shellie Zimmerman

Forgotten in the publicity surrounding the jury verdict in the case against George Zimmerman is that a perjury charge against his wife, Shellie Zimmerman, remains active.

According to the State Court docket, the case is scheduled for trial August 21. I have calls in to the prosecutors and defense counsel to confirm this.

The Judge on the case is Marlene M. Alva.

The Criminal Information and supporting Affidavit are embedded at the bottom of the post.

The charge surrounds Shellie’s sworn statements regarding funds available for George’s defense. When it was revealed that George had more money than was disclosed, his bail was revoked and he eventually was released on much higher bond.

I extensively analyzed the allegations in a post on June 13, 2012, Perjury charge against Shellie Zimmerman raises more questions of prosecutorial overreaching.

The main problem with the State’s case, as I see it, is that many of the statements alleged in the Affidavit were matters which were ambiguous or subject of opinion. In order to commit perjury, one has to make a false statement of fact (which is why the feds prefer to go with “obstruction of justice” instead of perjury).

Read more at Legal Insurrection, linked in the title.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:13 pm 

MikeMcDaniel wrote:
The Trayvon Martin Case, Update 37: Shellie Zimmerman

This series of articles begins my coverage of the Shellie Zimmerman prosecution for perjury. To understand that prosecution, you must understand the background of the charge. To that end, you absolutely must read Update 10 (They Did What?) and particularly Update 12 (Perjury And–Perjury?) if you have not done so already. Those two updates explain the factual basis–or as in the prosecution of George Zimmerman, the lack of factual basis–for the charge.

I’ll keep this article very brief so you have the time to read Updates 10 and 12. As you do, keep in mind these essential factors:

Read more at Stately McDaniel Manor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:14 pm 

MikeMcDaniel wrote:
The Trayvon Martin Case, Update 37.2: Perjury and Malicious Prosecution

The perjury prosecution of Shellie Zimmerman is a mirror image of the prosecution of George Zimmerman. In both cases, there was insufficient evidence to bring a charge, to say nothing of sustaining it. In both cases arrogant and overzealous prosecutors filed affidavits that failed to address the essential elements of the charges, and that failed to provide any evidence even approaching the establishment of probable cause. And in both cases, the prosecutors appeared to care nothing for the actual language of the statutes under which they brought charges; they seem to believe that whatever they think the statutes ought to say is what matters rather than what the legislature wrote. In the George Zimmerman prosecution, they were proved wrong. If justice holds in Florida, they’ll be proved wrong in the Shellie Zimmerman prosecution as well.

--Shellie Zimmerman

MOTIVE: Consider that the special prosecutors did not have to file this charge. The local prosecutor–Norm Wolfinger–could have done it, and this would have made far more sense. The executive order from Governor Scott establishing their authority to prosecute George Zimmerman noted that they have authority to deal with all matters relating to the Trayvon Martin case, and on February 19, 2013, Kelly Sims, Shellie’s attorney, argued that the special prosecutors [url]lacked jurisdiction to prosecute Shellie[/url]. Judge Marlene Alva disagreed and ruled that they did, refusing to dismiss the perjury charge.

Why then did the special prosecutors, who had more than enough on their plate with the prosecution of George, decide to pursue Shellie? Since they don’t live or work in Sanford, their participation, rather than that of the local prosecutor, will be unnecessarily costly for Florida taxpayers, and has the direct effect of keeping the racially divisive prosecution and subsequent acquittal of George before the public.

Their primary motive is certainly the likelihood that the local prosecutor would not have filed any charge against Shellie, for the same reason he declined to file any charge against George: no evidence of a crime. This is particularly true for perjury, which is a difficult charge to prove, and accordingly is an offense rarely charged. In addition, they likely wanted a prosecution of Shellie not only as a means of harassing George, but to hold over his head, perhaps in the hope of obtaining a plea bargain or even a guilty plea. I’m not aware of any overt attempt by the prosecution to obtain either, but they need not say a word. The mere arrest of Shellie speaks volumes.

Unfortunately, this particular group of ethically bereft prosecutors will be very likely to try to convict Shellie at all costs to in some small way try to justify their failed persecution of George. Angela Corey’s reputation for vindictiveness is the stuff of Florida legend.

Read much, much more at Stately McDaniel Manor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:55 am 

continued to August 21, 2013 for a docket sounding

Judge Marlene M. Alva (it used to be Nelson)

http://www.seminoleclerk.org/CriminalDo ... 2CF001792A

Former assistant SA and former PD.

http://judgepedia.org/index.php/Marlene_M._Alva

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/199 ... ruse-nails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 am 

Does anybody have a link to the pertinent pleadings? statement of particulars, witness lists, discovery?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:30 am 

Scroll up, JG - links above by Mike McDaniel. :)

PS - links to the little that's available as far as I know - maybe not what you're looking for but includes criminal information and affidavit.

Post subject: move
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:30 am 

waltherppk wrote:
What I want to see next is the charge against Shellie Zimmerman dropped.

They can't use her against George any more so they should just drop it before they get there butts handed to them. :TF

Post subject: move
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 am 

Yes, I agree on all points. However, the state has proven to be a craven, unethical, petty, vindictive bunch, so it's not likely, at least until the last possible moment. It costs them nothing to harass and persecute others, the taxpayers foot the bills and pay their salaries whether or not the cases have merit, or have been filed for petty personal vindictiveness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:40 am 

There's a tweet I can't post from Jeff Weiner that SZ has waived her court appearance on Aug.21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:26 am 

taurus wrote:
There's a tweet I can't post from Jeff Weiner that SZ has waived her court appearance on Aug.21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:52 am 

I hope they made it to the border.

"It is the night
My body's weak
I'm on the run
No time for sleep
I've got to ride
Ride like the wind
To be free again

And I've got such a long way to go
To make it to the border of Mexico"

from ride like the wind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:27 am 

It is interesting that no one is covering this anywhere near as much as they did with George's case. News articles are rare... little to no discussion about the legal aspects..... not even speculation..... Only blogs are following it.

My guess is that the state does not want to risk being further exposed.

Last edited by jordan2 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:33 am 
ADMIN

Hi Jordan2 nice to see you posting again :)

This is ONLY a perjury case and so you would not expect much publicity... certainly not a dedicated discussion thread at a site like this :)

It is NOT news at all in and of itself as a "crime" and a trial etc....

Of course there are good reasons why we are paying attention... but it still is JUST a charge of perjury... and a trumped up charge at that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:37 am 

Thanks rumpole for helping me get back in.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next