It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 am 

It sounds like she's pleading guilty to misdemeanor perjury.

That makes it a far more acceptable move, and the judge is letting her travel across country. If I were given such a deal I'd likely take it, even knowing I didn't commit perjury. It's a safe bet with minimal consequences.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 am 

One year probation, 100 hours of community service, has to write a letter of apology to Judge Lester, and no felony conviction: She can keep her CCW.

Not the best result, but it's a safe one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 am 

Okay, I take it back: plea deal, misdemeanor, no criminal conviction.

(I came here to post the link, but FreeGZ beat me to it!)

Here's LegalInsurrection's take:
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/08/sh ... plea-deal/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am 

Thanks, all. I still don't like it, don't think it's right or fair, especially writing a letter to that nasty judge who caused all of this in the first place. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:30 am 

According the docs now posted at Legal Insurrection (thanks for the link, Chip!), adjudication was withheld, so she wasn't found guilty of anything. That makes it infinitely better, imo. A perjury conviction could have had far-reaching consequences as a crime of moral turpitude. For example, did you know that in Maryland, in essence, someone convicted of perjury can't testify in another matter? They're a presumed liar?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 am 

liesel wrote:
Thanks, all. I still don't like it, don't think it's right or fair, especially writing a letter to that nasty judge who caused all of this in the first place. Ugh.

I'm glad I checked back in. I have been concerned all morning about Shellie. It finally crossed my mind that maybe even George couldn't have a ccw living with Shellie. Then I got all spun up and ended up in tears. :Q4 I hate that she had to do even this :stamp , but I guess it does get it out of the way. But, isn't it awful that ALL the real perjorers that were in the courtroom have gotten away with nothing? I mean Traymom, Traydad, Jaharvaris, Rachel Jentel, and all the prosecutors. :Q37

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:55 am 

Lordy the Trayborgisphere has gone splodeyhead :Q37

I'm at work so I can only see tweets on my phone but the anger and disbelieve is in full effect :lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:05 am 

Well, I guess that is one good thing to come out of this, I mean other than Shellie having it over with. :63

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:28 am 

I hate she had to plea to anything but this outcome is far better than it could have been. Thanks guys for posting the outcome. I have been so worried about Shellie. If she can keep her concealed weapon's permit does that mean she can finish her last couple of weeks and get her nursing license if she so chooses? Although I don't know how she could ever work and be safe. Hopefully George can sue and get some money, enough to pay his attorneys and enough to live on for the rest of his life. It looks like he owes Omara a lot. You know, pro bono, but if you come into money then I get some of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 am 

Yes, the fact that this is a misdemeanor and not a felony she can maintain her CCW and finish her nursing training/get her license. Though I hated to see he plea out, in the long run this will be a win for her and George.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am 

I'd love to help write that apology ...following Lester's lead in how we may determine facts, like "flight risk" and "strong case" (borrowed from the Poll thread!).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:39 am 

I know it could have been worse. Here is her letter to the judge.http://www.clickorlando.com/blob/view/- ... er-pdf.pdf

Edit to remove duplicate link - liesel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:45 am 

This makes me sick. :NN20 Sick that she had to make the statements. I hold absolutely nothing against Shellie. She was set up and this was all totally wrong. But, I am glad to have this behind her.

:NN20

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 am 

I agree with you auscitizenmom.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 pm 

Hey, we're always glad to see your avi here, auscitizenmom. No reason to be less than happy around others who aren't following the case(s)/thread(s) causing consternation or upset when you have a group who are feeling similarly to hang out with. :)

At least with the Trayborg™, for the most part, perjury could have been difficult to prove. I mean, how does one prove that Traymom™ didn't believe it was TM™ screaming in the background of the Lauer 911 call? Hypothetically cos it would never happen irl even if true: Even if every single person who was with her in the room when she listened to the recording testified that Traymom™ initially said it sounded nothing like TM™, she'd claim a change of mind; claim she was distraught and didn't remember any of it, etc.

However, if you followed the Anthony case, you may recall that Cindy got on the stand and flat out lied about being at home on a specific date/time, making incriminating web searches, iirc. The prosecution produced official records showing Cindy was at work. Cindy stuck to her lie, even after being presented with proof it was a lie. I don't see how there is any way that it wasn't perjury or that it wasn't already conclusively proven. But the State of Florida declined to prosecute her for any of her knowingly, provably false statements of fact. That said to me and anyone watching that perjury is a crime in name only, in Florida. If it wasn't enforced under those circumstances, I can't imagine circumstances that would justify prosecution.

Charging Shellie was clearly, indisputably, at best a vindictive prosecution, but much more likely an unethical attempt to pressure GZ into accepting a plea bargain. Although the court withheld adjudication and so long as Shellie meets the terms of her probation there will be no conviction on her record, I am still not happy that she pled guilty to anything. I'd have very much liked to have seen the prosecutors hung by this particular petard during a GZ civil suit, kwim?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 pm 

Well, that's something, at least. Not that it makes it worthwhile, but it helps ease the disappointment. :Gslap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:15 pm 

auscitizenmom wrote:

Well, I guess that is one good thing to come out of this, I mean other than Shellie having it over with. :63

:Q8

I also agree with you, auscitizenmom - :NN20 :NN20 It is so very wrong, imo, that her attorney allowed her to file such a letter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 pm 

kbp wrote:
I'd love to help write that apology ...following Lester's lead in how we may determine facts, like "flight risk" and "strong case" (borrowed from the Poll thread!).

Oh, I'd very much have liked to see you write it too, but unfortunately, it was filed at the hearing. You know... you could still write up it up... "What Shellie's letter should have said." Pretty please? :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm 

kbp wrote:

To this day I believe Judge Lester did and said many things knowing it would lead to him being recused from this case. He knew the state had no case and didn't want to be known as the judge that let George go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:38 pm 

Justfactsplz wrote:
I hate she had to plea to anything but this outcome is far better than it could have been. Thanks guys for posting the outcome. I have been so worried about Shellie. If she can keep her concealed weapon's permit does that mean she can finish her last couple of weeks and get her nursing license if she so chooses? Although I don't know how she could ever work and be safe. Hopefully George can sue and get some money, enough to pay his attorneys and enough to live on for the rest of his life. It looks like he owes Omara a lot. You know, pro bono, but if you come into money then I get some of it.

I agree it could have hypothetically been much worse, but I think the probability of that happening was about nil.

ICYMI - the docs were posted at Legal Insurrection and show that adjudication was withheld. She was not convicted of anything, despite her plea. If she doesn't do the community service, or if she somehow fails to meet the terms of her probation, then she may be convicted in the future, but as of this moment, no conviction, ergo, no consequences related to a conviction.

It's possible the entire incident may be expunged at some point.

Even so, if she's ever asked whether she has ever been convicted of a crime, she can truthfully answer in the negative. However, if asked if she has ever pled guilty to a crime, she'd have to answer affirmatively.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next