It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 

Will Immunity be granted
Yes - following hearing 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Yes - but only after appeal 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
No - denied at hearing and appeal lost 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 am 
ADMIN

Will Immunity be granted

The defence has scheduled a "Self Defence/Immunity Hearing" for 22nd April, 2013.

Immunity may be granted or denied at this hearing, decided by Judge Nelson based on PREPONDERANCE OF THE EVIDENCE.

It would seem to me that the plea should be granted based on overwhelming evidence that this is SELF DEFENCE in fact the PCA is a sham and charges should never have been laid....

But what do I know?

There are quite obviously political influences in play so almost anything seems possible in this farce of a case.

If Nelson does deny the motion for Immunity then that decision will almost certainly be appealed and that decided before trial.... so in effect Immunity could be granted on appeal.

If the farce carries on past April.. then I think we need a separate POLL on the likely outcome of that trial.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 am 
ADMIN

There is a lot at stake here

I have a gentleman's wager with Diwataman (aka Darth Dman)

An "E-cake" (of the winner's choice) on whether this case will get as far as a trial.

I say NO , Dman says YES.

So.... if Immunity is granted either at the Hearing, or at the subsequent Appeal... I win!!! :87

My pick as far as cake goes is "Black Forest Gateaux with fresh black cherry decoration.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:39 am 
ADMIN

I am not as confident now as I was when I accepted the bet...I am coming to accept Dman's negative view of Nelson.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 am 

Richard Hornsby has said he's practiced before Nelson enough to be pretty confident she'll deny immunity, but that there's really no chance of being convicted at trial. He's also gone on to say that how Florida treats the aggressor rule is that you pretty much have to be doing something illegal at the time the event happens, so the State really has no chance of pinning George as the aggressor as there's simply no evidence of him doing anything that qualifies him as the aggressor under Florida law.

The Appellate Courts in Florida also do not seem shy about overturning inproper rulings, and it would be the same 5th DCA looking at the appeal that overturned Lester's ruling...so my bet is that O'Mara puts on a very strong case for immunity, Nelson denies it, and the 5th DCA grants it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:17 am 

I voted that she will grant immunity and this will end at the self-defense hearing.

There are still several weeks between now and then. The state will be sending over more exculpatory evidence and then there are all those depositions that will be done during that time. Just a crack in any of them and this is over. I don't believe that someone won't fold and throw somebody under the bus to save their skin. I believe the ping logs, the final tox report, resolution on the multiple DDs, the phone mystery (dead?), maybe even Alicia coming forth; any of these will be enough to end this, maybe even before the hearing. Perponderence, 51%, Nelson will have that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am 

It all depends on when Obama wants the riots to start so he can implement his executive order of March 16, 2012 and take full dictatorial control.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 pm 

My opinion; The outcome of the April 22nd Immunity Protection Hearing has already been determined. Judge Nelson's been feeling the heat since the October hearing where Ben Crump put his foot into his mouth & she's been following the script ever since. The Florida Supreme Court Justices aren't as susceptible to political pressure, they're able to rule on the evidence based upon the law. I'm expecting to see a 2/1 split decision to overrule Judge Nelson & grant George criminal/civil immunity. Let the Omara/Beasley lawsuits then obtain justice for George & the Zimmerman family. I'd also opine that Shellie's case will be dismissed upon lack of evidence as she stated she was unsure of the funds available in the Pay Pal account. She stated that her brother in law was managing the Pay Pal account & that she could help the court get in touch with him. In no way did she perjure herself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

It was difficult to make a choice, but I finally voted that when appealed (after the judge denies it at the Immunity Hearing), the DCA will grant immunity. My difficulty is that this case and the blatant railroading for political/monetary gain has really jarred my faith in the justice system in Florida. I'm still finding the DCA granting immunity on appeal an uncertain choice because I truly, ultimately believe GZ's only chance is before a jury of non-politicians-fearing-hoodie-riots to see the logic of what really happened.

In the end, I decided on the optimistic vote: winning immunity from the DCA on appeal. We shall see.... :30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:10 pm 

I am going for the WIN! in April. Banking on lack of credibility W8, injuries, DNA, and W6 and W3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 pm 
ADMIN

Good choice Deb.... that's 3 of us.

You, me and Ejarra.

New rule:
If you pick a win at hearing and no need for appeal... you get bigger piece of cake :52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:13 pm 

Hey! No fair...... :62

It's good to be the King. :43

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:27 pm 
ADMIN

Well thank you.... I only aspire to be dictator/owner, but king is OK... perhaps "Emperor Rumpole"? :52

You'd prefer everybody got "their fair share" of cake? Regardless of outcome or effort on their part? :13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 am 

True to my conservative values, I believe in limiting how much cake can be taken from the bakers to give to others and getting cake just because one sides with Sir Owner does not promote equal justice. :14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 am 
ADMIN

Well... I assumed the Dman would BUY the cake... no bakers would have cake confiscated.

The cake would be a Big 'un.... so plenty for EVERYONE to get a piece.... but there is no reason for all pieces to be the same size.

Since it will be MY CAKE once Dman buys it and gives it to me... I am under no obligation to give anybody any at all.... but...

Being a benign and generous ruler I would be happy to share out my cake to all you peasants :12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm 

If the defense merges the immunity hearing with the jury trial I'd like to change my vote to no immunity granted. I'd previously voted that George will be granted immunity by way of the Florida 5th DCA overruling Judge Nelson in a 2/1 split decision. It's my opinion that much evidence which should be admissible during an Immunity Protection Hearing would be ruled inadmissible during a combination immunity hearing/jury trial. Picture in your minds eye, the image of BDLR flailing his arms wildly while he objects to what little evidence the State was unable to withhold from the defense team. I've no faith in Judge Nelson's objectivity when ruling upon motions or objections based on precedent of law during a jury trial. I'm also concerned that the Immunity Protection Hearing's burden of evidence (preponderance of a doubt) will be elevated to (beyond a reasonable doubt) that of a jury trial.
My meaningless opinion is that merging the Immunity Protection Hearing with the Jury Trial amounts to stripping George of an advantageous opportunity to prove his innocence prior to the State dragging George into a court room. If the defense goes forward with the merging of immunity hearing & trial, it's indicative of much more than a lack of funds.
That would indicate to myself that the defense doesn't trust Judge Nelson or the Florida DCA.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:25 pm 
ADMIN

I think that if the Immunity Hearing and trial are "merged" then this poll is moot.

The "spirit" of the poll was that self-defence/Immunity would be granted before the trial (which I thought was the whole point of it... avoid a trial)

I think if there is a trial at all then DMan wins the bet as I envisioned it.

As I indicated at the outset... A Trial will require a whole new POLL.. and if this farcical notion of weaving in an Immunity hearing with the trial goes ahead... the Trial result Poll will need a lot of options

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:21 am 

Looks like I'm the lone "No - denied at hearing and appeal lost" vote. Sure hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 pm 

I think this is going to trial

"If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him.

Is he still wrong?"

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]