It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm 

spectator wrote:
Hi Packy, one of the things that irritates me about this unique case is the social suicide if one publicly claims anything negative about TM, It's just a horrible one sided affair.

I hear you, Spectator, and I've noticed that too.

Something bugs me and that is people who are so sure it was not self-defense on GZ's part say that the head injuries on GZ are minor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 pm 

packy wrote:

I hear you, Spectator, and I've noticed that too.

Something bugs me and that is people who are so sure it was not self-defense on GZ's part say that the head injuries on GZ are minor.

That is just an indication of their lack of intelligence. It is well known that people have died from just one blow to the head, several instances in the news just recently. Just last year, my SIL died from falling onto a concrete driveway, hitting her head, as she was exiting a car. The self defense law does not hinge upon the severity of the wound or wounds, but on a reasonable belief that one's life is in danger. I know one thing, if someone were pounding my head onto a concrete surface, I would certainly be in fear of death.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 am 
ADMIN

Businesses cash in on Trayvon Inc.

A photographer seeking compensation for a picture she took of Trayvon Martin shows how in times of tragedy, many people and companies end up profiting.

By Frances Robles
frobles@MiamiHerald.com

An iconic photograph of a young Trayvon Martin in his Bulldogs football uniform, staring stone-faced into the camera, has been published in print and online around the world.

The Optimist Club team photographer, Lucricia Woodside of North Miami, owns the copyright to the picture and never authorized its use. Now she is a member of a growing number of entrepreneurs, artists and even some opportunists who have found ways to cash in on a new cottage industry.

Call it Trayvon Inc.

Woodside’s attorney sent letters earlier this month to news organizations and bloggers advising that after the teen’s death, her company, Photos “R” Us, registered the photo’s copyright, and anyone who published it owes her license fees. She seeks $500 from those who published the picture before she registered the copyright and $750 for those who ran it afterward. The lawyer identified at least 300 unauthorized uses of the photo, which was clearly marked as belonging to Photos “R” Us.

Woodside’s attempt to collect demonstrates how in times of tragedy, many people and companies often wind up profiting. From sales of T-shirts to books and controversial hoodie-themed gun-range targets, the killing of an unarmed Miami Gardens teenager stands to make some people, if not rich, at least better off.

Even Trayvon’s parents were criticized for collecting donations and registering trademarks on phrases such as “I am Trayvon.”

“I don’t think it’s exploitive,” said M.J. Bogatin, the photographer’s attorney. “She got, quote-unquote, lucky. What happened to Trayvon is outrageous. If the residuals belong to her as a photographer, I see no moral implications at all.”

Read about many more money grabs
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/01/3 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 am 
ADMIN

I guess I am not supposed to post the picture described here?

Seems nuts to me.... pictures, including that one are freely available on the internet.. at locations world wide.

I wont post the photo... but here is a link to it

NOTE: It shows Trayvon aged 14

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews ... .image.jpg

It looks photo-shopped to me anyway I wonder if the copyright applies to the image itself or for the photoshopping work? :12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am 

I didn't see the copyright or any name on the photo you linked to, Rumpole. Am I blind?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
ADMIN

Copyright on the internet? :24

I do give it some consideration... but things spread far and wide in public I do consider as available to post... at this sort of forum... it is just to inform (and amuse), not to make financial gain so "fair use" clause applies.

I always give credit and link back to articles or other sites where I find stuff etc.. as common courtesy as much as anything.

But I am a bit wary of the money hungry litigants involved in the TM case. The whole case is driven by a desire to sue people down the line.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 pm 
ADMIN

Rumpole wrote:
Still awaiting this ruling..... Maybe Lester will get on with it now that he has more free time? :24

George Zimmerman judge to rule later in unrelated stand your ground case
By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel
August 3, 2012

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... erman-case

Link to case at Clerk's Office
http://www.seminoleclerk.org/CriminalDo ... 0CF001851A

Latest entries:

09/05/2012.... PRES.... DEFENDANT WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
09/05/2012.... MNF.... MINUTES FOR DOCKET SOUNDING BEFORE JUDGE KENNETH R LESTER JR.
09/05/2012.... MNFD.... COURT GRANTED DEFENSE MOTION TO CONTINUE
09/05/2012.... MNFD.... STATE ATTORNEY S. SALMONS/V.PHILLIPS/A. CAMBRON WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
09/05/2012.... MNFD.... DEFENSE ATTORNEY JANCHA,RICK WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
09/05/2012.... DKSN.... DOCKET SOUNDING CONTINUED TO 10/03/2012 AT 0830AM IN COURTROOM 5B, AT CRIMINAL
JUSTICE BUILDING BEFORE JUDGE KENNETH R LESTER JR.
09/05/2012.... MNFD.... ALL CHARGES: DEFENDANT CONTINUED ON BOND

Case Number: 592010CF001851A Judge: LESTER JR, KENNETH R
Defendant Name: ANITA SMITHEY
DOB: 09/1968
Proceeding: DOCKET SOUNDING Courtroom: 5B
Court Date: 09-05-2012 Time: 08:30AM
Court Date: 10-03-2012 Time: 08:30AM

STILL No word on Lester's SYG Ruling

NEXT HEARING Docket Sounding, 3rd October 8:30 AM

Former Zimmerman judge denies 'stand your ground' in Oviedo woman's murder case
By Jeff Weiner and Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel
12:19 p.m. EDT, October 2, 2012

An Oviedo woman who says she shot her estranged husband in self-defense while he was raping her was denied immunity from prosecution under Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law on Tuesday.

The judge who denied immunity, Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester Jr., until recently oversaw the high-profile case against George Zimmerman. Zimmerman faces a second-degree murder charge in the Feb. 26 shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

...more at link
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/loc ... 7514.story

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 pm 
ADMIN

I have been watching for news on this case.

The case details are different from GZ... but even so it is of interest to see how Lester decided.

From the article:
Quote:
In his order Tuesday, Lester wrote that Smithey "failed to demonstrate that she justifiably acted in self-defense."

Lester noted Smithey and Cline "were very friendly during their interaction, going so far as to have consensual sex" and that the evidence made it appear Smithey "shot [Cline] out of anger and then staged the scene... as if she had been raped."

Smithey, the judge wrote, admitted to police that she stabbed herself in the side after shooting Cline, and also "agreed with the statement that she shot [Cline] out of anger, not out of fear of great bodily injury or death or to prevent him from raping her."

I think GZ has a much better argument to make... and every witness and piece of evidence backs his story.

He was ultimately pinned down by TM and in fear of harm or death... additionally, though not "required" he had already sustained serious injury.

A no-brainer for Judge Nelson at Zimmerman's Immunity hearing... it should be granted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:18 pm 
ADMIN

ANITA SMITHEY - Update from Clerk's Office

Link to case at Clerk's Office
http://www.seminoleclerk.org/CriminalDo ... 0CF001851A

Latest entries:

10/03/2012... PRES... DEFENDANT WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
10/03/2012... MNF1... 1ST AMENDED MINUTES FOR DOCKET SOUNDING BEFORE JUDGE KENNETH R LESTER JR.
10/03/2012... MNFD... COURT GRANTED DEFENSE MOTION TO CONTINUE
10/03/2012... MNFD... STATE ATTORNEY S. SALMONS/V.PHILLIPS/A. CAMBRON WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
10/03/2012... MNFD... DEFENSE ATTORNEY DAVID JANCHA FOR JANCHA,RICK WAS PRESENT FOR DOCKET SOUNDING
10/03/2012... DKSN... DOCKET SOUNDING CONTINUED TO 11/28/2012 AT 0830AM IN COURTROOM 5B, AT CRIMINAL
10/03/2012... DKSN... --JUSTICE BUILDING BEFORE JUDGE KENNETH R LESTER JR.
10/03/2012... MNFD... ** CORRECTED TO REFLECT: DEFENDANT APPEARED LATE **
10/03/2012... MNFD... ALL CHARGES: DEFENDANT CONTINUED ON BOND
10/03/2012... MNF... MINUTES FOR DOCKET SOUNDING BEFORE JUDGE KENNETH R LESTER JR.

Case Number: 592010CF001851A Judge: LESTER JR, KENNETH R
Defendant Name: ANITA SMITHEY
DOB: 09/1968
Court Date: 11-28-2012 Time: 08:30AM

NEXT HEARING Docket Sounding, 28th November 8:30 AM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:25 pm 
ADMIN

Rumpole wrote:
I guess I am not supposed to post the picture described here?

Seems nuts to me.... pictures, including that one are freely available on the internet.. at locations world wide.

I wont post the photo... but here is a link to it

NOTE: It shows Trayvon aged 14

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews ... .image.jpg

It looks photo-shopped to me anyway I wonder if the copyright applies to the image itself or for the photoshopping work? :12

An update posted at CTH.....

Quote:
ftsk420 says:
October 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Frances Robles@RoblesHerald
@princss6 Photographer’s lawyer said TCTH made very good case for “fair use” ‘cuz he was critiquing HuffPo coverage. Won’t pursue that one.

But they are going after everyone else. Guess the Treehouse knows what they are doing after all huh Robles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 pm 
ADMIN

Discussion Continues at.......

George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin Discussion thread #2
http://randomtopics.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=584

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55