It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:43 pm 

(WORK IN PROGRESS)

This is very fast and dirty. Still under construction, but these are my initial thoughts. I will be by to clean up soon.

For my capstone paper I will be looking into the mainstream media and the effect on the public’s perception of the George Zimmerman trial. A critical review, this paper will use the State of Florida and Defendants court discoveries in The State of Florida Vs. George Zimmerman as the measure for the amount of factual information that the media has passed to the general public. The information received by the public will be measured through a series of true or false questions posed to a random sampling of the general population (Demographic data needed-Census initial, County reports-secondary). This will be used to establish the baseline knowledge of the population on various issues that were present during the trial. After a baseline is set through surveys any discrepancies between the discoveries allowed in a court of law and the general held beliefs of the public will be analyzed for media effect.

The initial targeted survey interview will be brief and located in various public areas. (malls, parks,____) Individuals approached will be broken in to categories by age (estimated, 10 year increments) and sex to conform to the demographics of the area. An individual will be asked if they know anything about the George Zimmerman trial. If they reply “Yes” a secondary question of “Can you summarize the key points of the case in one sentence?” will be asked. If an individual automatically replies when asked about the case their first statement will be used in pace of the secondary question. This will allow us to find the top of the mind issues that people feel about the case. The surveys will be structured as a set of X true or false questions. Each interviewee will then be asked one true or false question. Such as “There was iced tea involved in this case.” This is designed to check the factual data that the general population has concerning the trial. The actual location that individuals get their news will not be asked in this study as it would lead to self-reporting issues as well as being unneeded in analyzing the mainstream effect to be discussed here. This would however be a very interesting area to do further studies in to determine if certain news outlets have a higher rate of accuracy.

After the data is collected discrepancies can be critically examined. This will be accomplished through the use of media articles and headlines about the case compared to the discoveries from the case.

I am expecting that sections of Jack Cashel’s (sp) book will be utilized along with various online blogs and periodicals such as CTH, RT, D-man, Nettles, etc. for research to help narrow the questions. The primary arguments however will be directly from the media in the form of quotes from articles that illustrate or caused public held opinions. These opinions will then be distilled and critically evaluated against the legal reality of the trial discoveries.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:59 am 

Oh got confused but now I see a quote was edited or something.

Hope you do get organized soon because I believe you blog will be interesting, Guywiththerod. And good luck with your biopsy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:39 pm 

I think it would be interesting to add a category for people based on demographics who decline to take the survey.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:16 am 

Deb that is a great idea! I was debating If I was going to have a declined checkbox to see that percentage of the population won't even touch the subject but that is much more useful. I might as well code them all like the rest. Thank you. :)

I also am kicking around one open ended question.. "How do you identify yourself?"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:37 pm 

guywitharod wrote:
Deb that is a great idea! I was debating If I was going to have a declined checkbox to see that percentage of the population won't even touch the subject but that is much more useful. I might as well code them all like the rest. Thank you. :)

I also am kicking around one open ended question.. "How do you identify yourself?"

JMO, I wouldn't go there. Estimates on age/ethnicity can be factored thru your own observations without making people more uncomfortable with a subject that is already uncomfortable.

I would love to see a sample of your questions. I am pretty much the token Caucasian in my 'hood and I can get some feedback from my neighbor. We talked about Zimmerman more than I expected and tho we didn't see eye to eye, he was open to my verbal argument and I never gave him the "I told you so" either.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 am 

^^^ I agree, that's why I was toying with it. I would prefer not to get in any form of altercation while surveying.

Working up questions slowly. Here is the start of the literature review though, nothing is properly cited or ordered. Also some of the links are starting to die in certain websites so I might be on here hunting down links to articles (mainstream, other) and discoveries etc.
So feel free to drop by if I am online say "Hi" :51 (to check if I am awake. :roll ) If any of you have thoughts or sites I will be adding to this list as a work in progress.

Literature Review

'If I had a Son': Race, Guns, and the Railroading of George Zimmerman by Jack Cashill (Author)

Florida v. Zimmerman: Uncovering the Malicious Prosecution of my Son, George Robert Zimmerman (Author)

Websites that have additional supplemental or primary information. I will be adding mainstream website articles so if you have a great bad headline or article feel free to point me in the right direction.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/
viewforum.php?f=48
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/snettles12 ... n-incident
http://diwataman.wordpress.com/
http://forums.talkleft.com/
http://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.c ... affidavit/
http://annettekblog.wordpress.com/
http://www.cashill.com/
http://trayvonmartinfoundation.org/
http://gzlegalcase.com/index.php/court- ... -discovery
http://gzlegalcase.com/index.php/court- ... -discovery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm 

jordan2 recommended a link in the main GZ thread, and you may want to check out Massad Ayoob's blog. Another from the main GZ thread that may be helpful is The Unmeritorious Prosecution of George Zimmerman by Marty Hayes, J.D.

Actually, skimming some of the GZ discussion threads wouldn't be a horrific idea, but it would be time consuming. Maybe it would help to do a search of RT using a link at the top, right side of each page.

Please be sure to let us know when you have enough material. Until then, I'll try to remember to bring links here when I run across something that may help. It's like I know I've seen a zillion (or more!) articles that would work, but the titles and/or places I've seen them are just outside of my mental reach, kwim?

Ok, who said, "It's much easier to list the things that are not outside of her mental reach"? :Gslap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:38 pm 

I adore Mas Ayoob. I would go thru the TL forum but I am biased towards it. Lot of reading to do also but no political bent to it. Also, no trolls!

http://www.talkleft.com/tag/George%20Zimmerman This is a link to all of the posts made by Jeralyn out on the main page about Zimmerman. Not from the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 pm 

That should say Bibliography not literature review up there in the post two up.

Thanks for the links jordan2 and liesel. I had not dug into Truett at all. I have read Ayoob before, if he is the one who writes primarily on handguns. I believe that my first exposure to him was in American Handgunner where I think he used to/may still write monthlies. The one by Hayes I had not seen before.

I presented the basic idea that I outlined as the primary post for this blog in class today (with declines category noted, Thanks DebFrmHell). It all looks good, the only comment that was made is that I might want to collect survey data on media exposure levels as well as primary media outlet. The thought being that data collection is a area that it is better to collect more than needed vs. missing something. This could however slightly shift the focus of the paper. I know that there are scholarly works out there that are peer reviewed on the topic of FOX news and viewers information rates. This could be useful in creating parallels in a media critique, at least as far as style and function.

I actually found this place (RT) several months before posting here...(I lurk) I stayed and started to post here because it (I) fit. RT seemed to have a good mix of logic and experience without being too focused like many of the other sites. (TalkLeft, CTH, both great reads BTW just slightly more specialized in audience) I have to say that CTH did amazing work with this case through FOIA requests and so many other aspects. Basically they stomped mainstream journalists on a daily basis. I almost changed the paper to focus on the crowdsourcing that occurred there and the implications from a communication standpoint.

I have most of the GZ discussion threads from here, CTH, Nettles, D-man, and McDaniel read along with a few I sporadically check. Like you said, it is pulling where and when things arose that is the issue. Especially when trying to remember what site had the comment with the link into which offsite article as this case developed. :doh

Other than questions for the survey that I am working up, I am going to be skimming for mainstream articles that have bad information, misleading headlines etc. to be used as the media side of the case. One potential problem is edited articles, had I known that I was going to do this project it would have been interesting to document the evolution of a online story through edits.

Thanks for the interest, time, and thoughts all! :91 My professor is really excited about this project. Apparently he was in New York at the time of the verdict and as a non-native (Hungary) he was taken aback by the reactions. He primarily works with the spiral of silence theory now and did political polls over there and here. I bet he has serious questions about how vocal TM supporters are/were Vs. GZ supporters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:00 pm 

I was typing DebFrmHell, lol :Gslap GMTA Thanks for the link! I agree on the TL site very informative to the actual workings of the courts/lawyerly aspects. It is one of my semi frequent bookmarked sites. I think that Jeralyn does a very solid job of presenting things in a manner that is digestible to laymen yet keeps the conversation at a high level of expertise in the field. Some of the comments at her site and at the other sites mentioned are actually where I "met" most of you here at RT. (more lurking) :34

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:37 pm 

Well done, guywitharod! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 pm 

guywitharod - this isn't about GZ, but is about media narratives. Thought it may help. Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:30 am 

Just stopped by to see how you are doing, GWAR. Hope all is calm, (well at least for a couple of minutes.) :D

You have to take what you can get!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:58 am 

liesel wrote:
guywitharod - this isn't about GZ, but is about media narratives. Thought it may help. Good luck! :)

Very good article and I wish everyone could read it.

Hope you are doing well, Guywitharod, and moving along with your ideas. So many good links in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:26 am 

I hope it helps, packy, thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:01 am 

GWAR! How goes the questionnaire and the thyroid? Just checking in to see what's up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:41 pm 

Thank you, been really dragging ass lately so nothing new to post on this blog. I head in tomorrow for the removal. :NN22 I will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:25 am 

Survey Questions Start-up page
1. How often do you follow the news? 1-5 Likert scale 1=none, 5 =constant
2 What is your primary news source? check box : online, TV, radio, print, word of mouth, none
3. If you follow the news please write in your primary source by name in the space provided, if you have none please write none. Examples CBS, CNN, FOX, etc. ______________
4. Was an iced tea involved in this case? Yes, No, or unknown check box
5. What was Trayvon Martin carrying? Please check one. Skittles and iced tea __Skittles and fruit punch___None of the above___
6. What color was the outer layer of Trayvon Martins clothing? Write in blank___________ or choice box of: light colored, dark colored, or unknown
7. How old was Trayvon Martin at the time of his death? please select one age group. 11-13, 14-16, 17-19, or unknown,
8. Where was the gunshot wound located? debating write in space or check box with: back, chest, head, arm, leg or unknown.
9. Did George Zimmerman have any injuries? Yes , No, or unknown checkbox
10 If George Zimerman had injuries what were they? If none write none if unknown write unknown______ .
11. At what range was the firearm discharged? Pleases select one range group. 0-2 ft. 2-4 ft. 4-6 ft. 6-12 ft. 12-24 ft. or unknown
12. How many shots were fired in this incident? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more, unknown.
13. Was the person in the lighter colored jacket on the top or the bottom of the altercation before the shot according to an eye witness? Top___ Bottom____ unknown____
14. Do you know what the verdict was in the case? ____________ yes, no unknown
15. Did the jury make the right decision in this case? Yes, No, Unknown
16. Do you agree with the verdict? Yes no unknown, write in

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:39 am 
ADMIN

I have not caught up with this (or almost any) thread at RT.

But..... just a comment on last post.... proposed questions.

Beware that "was iced tea involved?" could be answered in the affirmative... because it was certainly involved in the reporting and in interviews etc with players in the case and so-called experts, reporters. anchor persons, bloggers and forum posters etc etc.

I am thinking a question like "Was SYG involved?" would be good... with the same proviso... The question would need to be worded something like "Was SYG an issue at trial (Did GZ claim that he could have fled, but chose to "Stand his ground" as he had a right to do once attacked (as per invoking Fl statute xxxx) )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 pm 

#5 is kind of ambiguous. I think the WMFJC should be mentioned but not as a fruit punch. It is kind of confusing.
#s 9 and 10 seem to be asking the same question just phrased differently. Maybe combine them into one question "Are they aware that Zimmerman had injuries...yes, no, unknown.
#13 might contaminate your questions/results.

Everyone and their mother has seen Zimmerman in the mug shot. During the trial he was in primarily dark suits...I am undecided. The trial coverage had the recent photos of him and without following the previous year could cloud perceptions.