It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
IANAL but common sense is enough to see the dangers in hearsay evidence. And what was used in this case specifically was particularly risky because all the so called "independent" witnesses had seen all of the media circus and trial of Drew in the Media for 3 years.

The only reason they reopened the Savio case was that talking heads had convicted Drew of murder of Stacy, but had no evidence. The only reason they exhumed Kathleen's body is that they already had preconceived notions that they would find evidence of foul play.
To involve Baden in an autopsy was nuts since he of all people had preconceived ideas.. and had been making money off spouting his notions in the media for 3 years. It was he who pushed for the exhumation.. something of a media stunt. Even the legit autopsy is flawed from a scientific point of view.. because it was done with preconceived notions and expectations.

Yes I hear you and agree.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:46 pm 
ADMIN

Appeals court upholds firing of Drew Peterson's son
By Stacy St. Clair Tribune reporter
11:39 p.m. CST, December 13, 2013

Drew Peterson's son is expected to drop his fight to get his police badge back now that a state appellate court has ruled he demonstrated poor judgment after the 2007 disappearance of his father's fourth wife.

Stephen Peterson has 35 days to appeal the decision, but his attorney said it was unlikely that the Illinois Supreme Court would accept the case. The state's highest court historically has refused to hear appeals involving police officer terminations.

"We're disappointed," attorney Tamara Cummings said. "We're going to discuss our options, but at this point, there aren't that many left."

Stephen Peterson, 34, was fired from the Oak Brook Police Department in 2011 after village officials found that he failed to disclose important information and potentially obstructed an Illinois State Police investigation into the disappearance of Stacy Peterson, his father's fourth wife.

In one instance, Stephen Peterson did not tell authorities that his father gave him checks totaling $236,800 shortly after Stacy disappeared or that Drew made his adult son promise to take care of his school-age siblings if anything happened to him.

Detectives have said that knowing about that exchange could have benefited their investigation, but the younger Peterson insisted he didn't know that his father was a suspect at the time of that conversation.

...more at link
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 2722.story

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:47 pm 
ADMIN

Drew Peterson, expected to file appeal next month, has a lot to say
By Stacy St. Clair, Chicago Tribune reporter
7:33 a.m. CST, December 26, 2013

Drew Peterson is expected to formally challenge his conviction next month — and his attorneys apparently have plenty to say about it.

Peterson's lawyers recently submitted their third request for permission to exceed the 50-page limit imposed on appeal briefs in Illinois — only to be swiftly denied by the 3rd District Appellate Court for the third time.

In a motion filed this month, Peterson's attorneys said his case has generated more than 11,000 pages of court records, including 3,000 pages stemming from the landmark hearsay hearing held two years before his murder trial. The trial transcript contains more than 5,000 pages, according to the filing.

The 3rd District also prohibits defendants from using more than 15 pages to outline the facts of the case, a limit that Peterson's lawyers say is unfair given the history of the headline-grabbing legal drama.

"Even if he were only to summarize the trial proceedings in his statement of facts, (Peterson) still could only write one page for every 300-plus pages of transcript," the motion stated.

Peterson's lawyers asked that the appellate court allow them to submit 50 pages outlining the facts of the case and an additional 125 pages to argue why his conviction should be reversed.

Will County prosecutors did not object to the request, but Peterson's attorneys received a written communication from the court over the weekend telling them that their request was again denied.

...more at link
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 9063.story

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
ADMIN

Drew Peterson's attorneys prepare appeal
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Sarah Schulte, News Team

December 26, 2013 (WLS) -- Attorneys prepare to appeal Drew Peterson's conviction for the murder of his third wife and they have just over two weeks to put together a complicated case.

January 14 is the deadline to file an appeal. Because there are thousands of pages of court documents, Peterson's attorney was hoping the court would allow him to go beyond a page limit for the appeal. But, that request was recently denied.

...more at link
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=9372993

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:43 am 
ADMIN

Drew Peterson's attorneys file appeal challenging his conviction
Monday, January 13, 2014

January 13, 2014 (WLS) -- Drew Peterson's attorneys have filed an appeal challenging his conviction.

In a 55-page brief, Drew Peterson's attorneys argue that his conviction for the murder of his third wife Kathleen Savio should be thrown out and that he should be given a new trial.

The appeal, filed in the far West Suburban Third State Judicial Circuit, argues that the Will County Court made many errors during the trial in the summer of 2012 that led to a jury finding the former Bolingbrook Police Sergeant guilty of murder.

The lead argument in the appeal involves Divorce Attorney Harry Smith. Peterson's attorneys argue that because Savio and Peterson's missing fourth wife Stacy both had hired Smith, anything they told him was protected by attorney-client privilege. The privilege, which survives after the death of a party, means Smith could not divulge what they had told him in court. Also by calling Smith to the witness stand, Peterson argues that he received ineffective counsel. The appeal argues that the defense tactic actually helped the prosecution's case against Peterson.

The conviction led Peterson to dump his lead attorney, Joel Brodsky. The appeal also claims Brodsky committed a conflict of interest with a media deal. It argues Brodsky was more concerned about his fees than defending Peterson.

...more at link
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=9392109

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm 
ADMIN

Peterson lawyers cite attorney, judge mistakes in appeal
11:55 a.m. CST, January 14, 2014

Drew Peterson
continued the uphill battle to overturn his murder conviction this week, as his lawyers filed an appeal arguing that both his former defense attorney and the trial judge made mistakes that prejudiced the jury against him.

In a filing mailed to the 3rd District Appellate Court late Monday, Peterson's team states that Will County Judge Edward Burmila erred when he admitted controversial hearsay evidence and allowed a pastor to testify about conversations he had with Peterson's fourth wife, Stacy. It also criticizes Burmila for permitting divorce attorney Harry Smith to testify about a telephone call in which Stacy indicated Drew had killed his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

These errors, taken in their totality, stripped Peterson of his right to a fair trial, the appeal states.

...more at link
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 7232.story

Drew Peterson's appeal to overturn murder conviction (pdf 83 pages)
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1 ... al-351.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 pm 
ADMIN

Drew Peterson Appeal: Lawyer Claims Ex-Policeman Didn't Get Fair Trial Due To Hearsay
By MICHAEL TARM 01/13/14 10:19 PM ET EST

CHICAGO (AP) — Drew Peterson's lawyer argues in an appeal mailed Monday to a regional appellate court that a judge and a defense attorney made critical errors during the trial that ended with the former Chicago-area policeman being convicted of killing an ex-wife, denying him a fair trial.

...more at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/1 ... 95267.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 pm 
ADMIN

Let me say up front. I think Drew is a scumbag... and that he murdered two wives.

I followed the case closely from the time news broke of Stacy Peterson disappearance.

I am BIASED... I am convinced he did it, BUT...........

I also followed the trial for the Murder of Kathleen Savio and I DO NOT think the prosecution proved a case beyond reasonable doubt... and furthermore.. the law change and unique use of hearsay evidence was a a travesty of justice. And so... IMO the verdict should be overturned.... furthermore... WITH PREJUDICE.. I think that "double jeopardy" should apply given all that transpired at the trial.

I would say... better luck next time if the State has enough evidence (as they have suggested) to pursue a charge in the Murder of Stacey... but they DO NEED to have evidence that proves guilt... certainly more than a biased (lynch) mob mentality.. which the Savio Murder conviction relied on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:54 am 

I'm with you, Rumpole. He may have done in both wives but when they change a law (the hearsay law) to suit their needs we are in big trouble and it does seem the hearsay is a big part of what the jury relied on. And where was the presumption of innocence in this case. Very scary.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:14 am 

I agree with you 'Rumpole' and 'packy'. I think the guy is evil and likely did kill his wives but from what evidence I saw and heard of the case if I had been on the jury I would have found him not guilty because I too don't think the prosecution proved him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I have a major problem with the lack of real evidence in the case and the reliance on hearsay evidence that seems to be of the type that isn't allowed in most cases.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:17 pm 
ADMIN

Drew Peterson facing loss of police pension
11:42 a.m. CST, January 24, 2014

Drew Peterson soon could find himself fighting to keep his pension, as an investigator hired by the Bolingbrook Police Pension Fund has found there's enough evidence to begin forfeiture proceedings against the retired sergeant.

Attorney Charles Atwell forwarded his decision after a nine-month review that included examining court transcripts and other records to determine whether Peterson’s murder conviction meant he should be stripped of his pension. In a brief letter sent to village officials the earlier this month, Atwell said state statutes would support holding a hearing to consider terminating the benefit.

Under Illinois law, the board could revoke Peterson’s $79,000-a-year pension if it finds he used his law-enforcement powers or skills to drown his third wife, Kathleen Savio, in 2004.

...more at link
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 6965.story

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:04 am 
ADMIN

Board to consider if Drew Peterson will lose police pension
By Stacy St. Clair and Geoff Ziezulewicz Tribune reporters
5:13 p.m. CDT, March 20, 2014

The Bolingbrook Police Pension Board this afternoon voted to hold hearings to determine whether retired sergeant and convicted killer Drew Peterson should lose his retirement pension.

The five-person board voted unanimously to conduct the hearings, which could begin as soon as the summer.

“This is going to take some time,” said pension board attorney Richard Reimer.

...more at link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 4070.story

Drew Peterson Might Lose $79,000 Police Pension
March 20, 2014 9:59 AM

BOLINGBROOK, Ill (CBS) – Officials in southwest suburban Bolingbrook could begin an effort to strip former cop Drew Peterson of his pension, following his conviction for killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

WBBM Newsradio’s Regine Schlesinger reports the Bolingbrook Police Pension Board was meeting Thursday to determine whether it should begin forfeiture proceedings against Peterson, who retired as a police sergeant in 2007.

In order to revoke Peterson’s $79,000-a-year police pension, the board would have to show he used his police skills or powers to kill Savio in 2004.

...more at link

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/03/20/ ... e-pension/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am 

You are so on the ball, Rumpole. I came to add this info but alas you already had it. It seems they should wait until after the appeals before going through all of this to deny the pension. I think it's possible he may have done his wives in, but since they used that new ruling ("Drew's law") in order to permit hearsay I doubt they could have really proved it without that so it's BS to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:19 am 
ADMIN

Hi Packy.

I only just spotted this...I could easily miss Drew updates... you might well get the scoop next time. :)

Yes we seem to think alike on matters Drew. Guilty, but not properly convicted according to the law and the Judicial System we cherish. Many are not concerned... happy to see him convicted, but I think it is important to play by the "Judicial Rules" for all our sakes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:19 am 

Agreed but making up new laws like in this case may have nasty ramifications for many of us in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:23 pm 

http://patch.com/illinois/bolingbrook/p ... te-court-0

Prosecutors Make Case on Drew Peterson Conviction to Appellate Court
Drew Peterson has already been locked up for five and a half years.
By Joseph Hosey (Patch Staff) Updated November 6, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Prosecutors on the Drew Peterson case filed a 60-page appellate brief in hopes of thwarting the wife-killer’s bid to get a new murder trial.

Peterson’s lawyers will have two weeks to respond before appellate judges in Ottawa take a look at the case.
Peterson, 60, was found guilty in September 2012 of murdering his third wife, Kathleen Savio.

More at link

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:14 am 

Drew Peterson's Lawyers Appealing Murder Conviction
OTTAWA, Ill. — May 21, 2015, 5:41 PM ET

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/drew ... n-31210514

Drew Peterson's murder conviction in his third wife's 2004 death should be overturned because of improper use of hearsay evidence and mistakes by his former attorney, lawyers for the former suburban Chicago police sergeant told a state appeals court Thursday.

The ex-Bolingbrook officer was sentenced in 2012 to 38 years in prison for killing Kathleen Savio. He remains a suspect in the 2007 disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson, whose case prompted officials to re-open their inquiry into Savio's bathtub drowning.

Peterson's lawyers claim that Will County Circuit Judge Edward Burmila should not have allowed jurors to hear secondhand testimony from a pastor about conversations he had with Stacy Peterson, the Chicago Tribune ( http://trib.in/1ShZnNx ) reported.

A Third District Court of Appeals judicial panel did not immediately issue a ruling after Thursday's hearing.

Appellate attorneys are also challenging the trial judge's decision to allow Savio's divorce lawyer, Harry Smith, to testify about an alleged telephone call with Stacy Peterson in which she claimed her husband killed his ex-wife. The attorneys also argue that former defense attorney Joel Brodsky provided ineffective counsel and put his desire for publicity over his client's interests — claims that Brodsky denies.

...For the rest of the article click on the link

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:24 pm 

they should of hung this dude a long time ago..he is a menace to society..just like someone else we know..

doesn't surprise me he is still trying to kill someone...IDIOT!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:00 pm 

Here is the latest on Drew Peterson.

Peterson trial pushed back to November
Defense files to retain expert witness

By Pete Spitler
The Herald Tribune

Posted Jul. 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM

http://www.randolphcountyheraldtribune. ... /150709648

(excerpts)

During a motions hearing Tuesday at Randolph County Courthouse, it was announced defense attorney Lucas Liefer had filed a motion for a continuance on June 18 and also a petition to approve expert witness retention and funding.

Judge Richard A. Brown granted the continuance and petition, with the parties apparently agreeing to a Nov. 16 trial start date with jury selection to begin on Nov. 13.

The parties have an Aug. 24 deadline to file any more motions, with motion hearings to begin Sept. 1. The following day has also been set aside if additional time is needed.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Motions also on file include:

• To permit impeachment (challenging the truthfulness of an individual testifying at trial) of Peterson about his prior first-degree murder conviction if he chooses to testify in this case.

• To admit trial evidence that Peterson previously offered a person $25,000 in 2003 to “take care of” his ex-wife, Kathleen Savio, whom he was convicted in 2012 of killing.

• Limit impeachment and prevent cross-examination of the prosecution’s witness regarding the facts or circumstances of the crime he was convicted of.

The parties have previously agreed to keep audio excerpts from taped conversations between Peterson and unnamed informant “Individual A” under seal to prevent prejudicial pretrial publicity.

For the rest of the article click on the link.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04 pm 

Hi SheStone :28

Thanks for the updated news!
I am looking forward to following this trial.
Can't wait to hear the informant tapes. :D

NO MORE delays!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next