It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:08 am 

I need to hear more evidence, but it is quite suspicious behavior. Why shoot through the door instead of yelling that you have a gun and to "come out with your hands up" or telling the person locked inside the bathroom that you're calling the police? Also, it didn't occur to him that the person he shares his bed with could be in the bathroom since she wasn't in the bed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm 

There's an interesting twist to this story.

As Olympic icon Oscar Pistorius faces a murder trial for shooting his girlfriend, his older brother is also charged in the death of a woman.

Carl Pistorius is accused in the 2010 death of a female motorcyclist, Pistorius family attorney Kenny Oldwage said.
Culpable homicide refers to "unlawful negligent killing," South African police say.
Prosecutors say Carl Pistorius was driving recklessly in Vanderbijlpark, South Africa, when he crashed with the motorcyclist in the daytime.
Oldwage disputes allegations that his client was driving recklessly and said the motorcyclist rode into Carl Pistorius' vehicle.

Oscar's brother, Carl Pistorius, was initially scheduled to go on trial Thursday -- during the middle of his brother's four-day bail hearing, but it was rescheduled so he could support his brother.

More at link: http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/24/world/africa/south-africa-pistorius-brother/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:41 pm 
ADMIN

Substance found in Pistorius' home identified
GERALD IMRAY
Last updated 06:47 28/02/2013

Oscar Pistorius' representatives have named the substance found in his bedroom after the shooting death of his girlfriend as Testis compositum, and say it is an herbal remedy used "in aid of muscle recovery."

A product called Testis compositum is also marketed as a sexual enhancer, good for lack of stamina. Some online retailers advertise oral and injectable forms as testosterone boosters.

South African police say they found needles in Pistorius' bedroom along with the substance, which they initially named as testosterone. Prosecutors later withdrew that statement identifying the substance and said it had been sent for laboratory tests.

Pistorius family spokesperson Lunice Johnston said in an email on Wednesday that the athlete's lawyers confirmed that the substance is Testis compositum.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... identified

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 pm 
ADMIN

Oscar Pistorius judge’s cousin ‘killed herself and poisoned her two children’
By HARRY HAYDON

Judge ... Desmond Nair

THE judge who granted bail to Oscar Pistorius has revealed his cousin is suspected of killing her two children before committing suicide.

Magistrate Desmond Nair said the woman, whose body was found at her home on Sunday evening along those of her sons, is a first cousin.

Her brother Vishal Maharaj identified her as Anusha Maharaj and cops said she and her children died by ingesting a substance. Suicide notes were also found.

The news is another dramatic twist in the murder case against the Olympian known as the Blade Runner.

Pistorius’ brother, Carl, faces charges of “culpable homicide” over a 2008 car accident that killed a female motorcyclist.

Detective Hilton Botha, the former lead investigator, is facing seven counts of attempted murder stemming from an on-duty shooting.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel was arrested for fraud while was pursuing a corruption case against South Africa’s top cop. The charge was later dropped.

Pistorius’ attorney, Barry Roux, reportedly once represented a former police chief who was accused of supplying toxins to be used on anti-apartheid activists.

And the athlete’s aunt Micki is a criminal profiler who claims to have extrasensory powers that help her detect killers.

Pistorius, 26, held a private memorial at his uncle’s house for girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Tuesday

The double-amputee Olympian is charged with premeditated murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day.

....more at link
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ldren.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:47 pm 
ADMIN

Reeva was NOT pregnant: Model's family says post-mortem proves media speculation is untrue

• The National Enquirer reported on Monday that the argument was sparked by the news that Pistorius was about to become a father
  • But today family spokesman vehemently denied the claims
  • Athlete held vigil at his Uncle Arnold's home in Pretoria Tuesday night after being freed on bail
  • Family said: 'Oscar specifically requested the memorial service'

By Thomas Durante
PUBLISHED: 01:48 GMT, 27 February 2013 | UPDATED: 13:49 GMT, 27 February 2013

Reeva Steenkamp’s family has categorically denied that the model was pregnant when Paralympian Oscar Pistorius shot and killed her.

The National Enquirer reported earlier this week that Steenkamp told the athlete that she was pregnant to placate him after he accused her of cheating on him.

But today family spokesman Mike Steenkamp denied the reports were true and said the cover girl's mother June would have known.

'The post mortem would have revealed if Reeva was pregnant and it did not reveal anything like this. Maybe it comes from the other side, to garner and build up some sort of support for Oscar,' Mr Steenkamp told Times Live.

...more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... amily.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 pm 

This is one of the strangest cases I have ever seen. Part of me feels he's guilty but then another part of me says he could be innocent. The thing that jumps out at me is why would someone who broke into your house use the bathroom and lock the door. I think since there is allegations that she cheated on him that she could have said something like "Your half the man he is" since that's true he could have got pissed and killed her. I do think he lived in fear he had no legs and the crime rate there is through the roof but some things just don't make sense right now.

"If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him.

Is he still wrong?"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:28 pm 
ADMIN

I have NOT delved into detail... I just came to the case since the hearing was on.... and popular.

I will say that there is need to consider the Context of South Africa since end of apartheid and the upheaval.. and often failures maintaining law and order. A lot of home invasion, car jackings.. many areas tourist no-go areas etc.

I imagine many affluent residents had understandable paranoia about home invasion type crime.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:55 pm 

I agree but I'm having a problem with where she was shot. Last place I think a burglar is gonna be is in the bathroom

"If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him.

Is he still wrong?"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:06 pm 
ADMIN

Withe the caveat still.. I have not looked at detail....

I am assuming the thought was that somebody MIGHT have gained entry via a toilet window? Or else a bathroom window and then "hid" in toilet stall.

Again... I don't know... but I can imagine waking up... a bit disorientated... (vulnerable as an amputee)..... dark... hearing noise and the whole thing going down while "half asleep"... perhaps effected by booze or drugs as well? Not too much time to analyse likelihood of bad guy being in bathroom etc.

VERY unwise and reckless use of firearm.. but there are factors his defence can suggest. Maybe manslaughter?

No doubt details will come out when this gets to trial.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm 

Uh oh...I didn't know that he suspected her of cheating. That makes me suspect him more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 am 
ADMIN

Oscar Pistorius in 'confidential' assault claim lawsuit talks as reports he collected guns

OSCAR Pistorius, charged with murdering his girlfriend, is holding "confidential" talks to resolve a lawsuit against a woman who had accused him of assault.

"There are confidential settlement negotiations under way," his lawyer, Gary Pritchard, said.

The Paralympic and Olympic sprinter is suing his former neighbour Cassidy Taylor-Memmory, who in 2009 said he slammed a door at her during a party at his house.

He was arrested and spent a night in jail, but police later dropped the charge.

"It was a couple of years back. He claimed damages to his reputation from her," Pritchard told AFP of the 2.2 million rand ($240,000)lawsuit.

...more at link
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/ ... 6588778976

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:18 pm 
ADMIN

Oscar Pistorius racks up £200,000 legal bill
Published: Sunday, Mar 3, 2013, 12:19 IST
Agency: ANI

Paralympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius’ legal fees have gone up to a massive 200,000 pounds in just two weeks after his arrest for the murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in the early hours of Valentine’s Day.

However, the Blade Runner, who had spent at least 100,000 pounds on legal representation and a bail amount of 75,000 pounds, is ready to do whatever it costs to clear his name, as he is one of the heirs to the wealth of his millionaire elephant-hunting family, the Daily Star reports.

According to legal expert Professor Tom Coetzee, the current amount is the only beginning of legal costs for Pistorius, who is set to go on trial on June 4, as he will have to repeatedly meet with his lawyers until the date of the trial.

But, sources said that money is not an issue with the Paralympic star as members of the Pistorius business dynasty, which was founded by Pistorius’ grandfather Hendrik in 1944 with a limestone mining company, will bankroll the sprinter’s sky-rocketing legal costs.

The industries in which the family operates include tourism, farming, property, transport and hunting, the report added.

...more at link
http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_os ... ll_1806771

Conversion:
£200,000 = US$300,000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm 
ADMIN

Oscar Pistorius' father says family need guns because the ANC government fails to protect white people
Henke Pistorius said his family could not rely on the police to protect them and owned guns for their own safety

4 Mar 2013 09:25
By Andy Rudd

Oscar Pistorius' father says family need guns because the ANC government fails to protect white people
4 Mar 2013 09:25

Henke Pistorius said his family could not rely on the police to protect them and owned guns for their own safety
Oscar Pistorius appears at the Magistrate Court in Pretoria Oscar Pistorius appears at the Magistrate Court in Pretoria
Getty

Oscar Pistorius needs guns because the ANC government fails to protect white people, his father has said.

Henke Pistorius said his family could not rely on the police to protect them and owned guns for their own safety.

He said: "Some of the guns are for hunting and some are for protection, the hand guns. It speaks to the ANC government, look at white crime levels, why protection is so poor in this country, it's an aspect of our society.

"You can't rely on the police, not because they are inefficient always but because crime is so rife."

...more at link
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ly-1741722

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 pm 
ADMIN

Not everyone surprised at Oscar Pistorius' fall from grace
By Drew Griffin and David Fitzpatrick, CNN Special Investigations Unit
March 6, 2013 -- Updated 1743 GMT (0143 HKT)

....Snip.....
The South African athlete's spectacular fall from grace shocked many who were inspired by his remarkable story of overcoming adversity to become an Olympian and a national hero.

But not everyone.

"Here, I think, you had a troubled athlete," said South African sports journalist Graeme Joffe. "Not so much this incredible role model for the rest of the world -- no question about that -- but deep down, this was a troubled athlete."

Pistorius case brings South Africa gun culture to global spotlight

Joffe is one of the few South African journalists who has been critical of Pistorius. He said the PR machine behind the man they call Blade Runner has all but made him untouchable.

....more at link
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/06/world ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:34 am 

kjnelson wrote:
I already find him innocent.

When I first saw footage of this story, I found him believable, but now I'm seeing a few red flags. :Q30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:51 am 

Mal, I haven't watched much footage yet.
I never once believed cma or jodiarias, but I did believe Oscar.
But, that doesn't mean I won't change my mind!!
I need to get updated!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:41 pm 
ADMIN

Reeva Steenkamp met with ex lover two days before she was shot dead by Oscar Pistorius
11 Mar 2013 22:41

The 29-year-old model dated Warren Lahoud for five years and never lost touch, it was revealed today

By Ben Rossington
7 Comments

Reeva Steenkamp met with ex lover two days before she was shot dead by Oscar Pistorius
11 Mar 2013 22:41

The 29-year-old model dated Warren Lahoud for five years and never lost touch, it was revealed today
Tragic: Reeva and Pistorius Tragic: Reeva and Pistorius
Rex

Reeva Steenkamp met an ex-boyfriend shortly before she was killed by lover Oscar Pistorius – who kept phoning her as they chatted.

The 29-year-old model dated vegetable exporter Warren Lahoud, 27, for five years and never lost touch, it was revealed today.

Mr Lahoud asked about the phone interruptions as the pair drank a coffee two days before the Valentine’s Day killing.

He said: “I said, ‘Is everything ok? I mean he’s phoned twice already, every 20 minutes’.

"I asked her that question. She said, ‘there’s nothing wrong’.”

He added: “She didn’t seem unhappy. She always said that she wouldn’t be with anybody who she felt unhappy with.

“Reeva had a beautiful loving heart, she gave everything, and was friendly to everyone. She really made you feel good and welcome.”

Mr Lahoud said he met Pistorius twice with no issues between them. He said: “It was fine.”

Paralympian Pistorius today applied to change bail conditions so he could travel abroad, which prosecutors will oppose.

The 26-year-old denies premeditated murder after shooting Reeva in the early hours at home in Pretoria.

....more at link
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... mp-1757025

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:04 am 
ADMIN

Oscar Pistorius case: Reeva Steenkamp's parents face eviction from Port Elizabeth house
March 15, 2013 9:44AM

THE parents of Oscar Pistorius's slain girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp are being evicted from their home, a month after their daughter's death.

"They have been given notice on their home by the owners,'' Reeva's uncle Michael Steenkamp told AFP.

"They are going to be vacating that house soon.''

Since their daughter was shot dead at Pistorius's Pretoria home on Valentine's Day, Steenkamp's parents have retreated to their home in the southern coastal city of Port Elizabeth.

Michael Steenkamp said he was not sure of the reason for their eviction, but said the owner may want to sell the modest home, located in a quiet outlying coastal suburb.

...more at link
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 6597893206

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:56 pm 
ADMIN

The Oscar Pistorius Murder Charge Has Already Inspired a TV Documentary, Airing Later This Month
By Julie Miller
2:00 PM, March 14 2013

One month after South African Olympian Oscar Pistorius shot his girlfriend to death on Valentine’s Day, TLC has announced that it will be airing a documentary about the double-amputee athlete, known as the “Blade Runner,” and the murder, which Pistorius says was an accident, on March 27. The hour-long program already aired in the U.K. under the title Oscar Pistorius—What Really Happened?, after being turned around in just over two weeks by BBC. Along with never-before-seen footage, the program will include exclusive interviews and information from those who were close to the track star’s late girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp. American viewers will watch what is being described as “a unique version of the documentary,” The Hollywood Reporter reveals, under the new title Blade Runner: The Untold Story.

...more at link
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars ... ocumentary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 pm 

I'm assuming they didn't interview him about the murder for the documentary. Look where that got Jodi Arias.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next