It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:47 am 

Maybe it would be really helpful to see what kind of a threat Reeva would have been encountering if there had been a delirious enraged Oscar that night.

It is a visual of the Tattoo I described above and and the ambulatory reality Oscar had to work with for the acrobatics he would have had to pull off. Tell me this is somebody a virtual yoga athlete who was being threatened with her life, wouldn't have been able to find a way to neutralize or do something other than cower in a toilet. :N20

The prosecution is flailing around trying to put jello on the wall with a box of nails. Here is your horrific Andre The Giant Valentine's Day massacre-er that Reeva would have had to be in unavoidable, unquestionable and paralyzed fear of. :N20

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7fd3 ... 1_1280.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:58 am 
ADMIN

Thanks aavi... good hi-res pic showing Oscar's stump and illustrating how DAFT it is to imagine he was chasing Reeva around on his stumps... :lol

You can use [img] button if you want pic to show in post :cool
(Though... to be fair.. that pic was a bit tricky... too large and needed resizing.)

I will put this pic in the Reference thread too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:35 am 

On a side note I have read about how ambulatory Oscar was on his stumps and how he went about without them as a child so he must have been at no disadvantage with his prostheses off. While the part about Oscar as a child is true (partially he ws still mobile to a degree without them if need be) , the adult Oscar on his stumps is another totally different law of physics.

With his bilateral amputation they put the skin from his heels over a portion of his stumps, as a youth that skin was strong enough and his body small enough, to allow him a pretty good semblance of balance for short times because the weight on his stumps was slight and his center of gravity was lower to the ground. As he got older and his body weight increased, and his center of gravity shifted, he became more and more unbalanced on his stumps. He is terribly unbalanced on his stumps.

Another thing (or two) if Oscar and Reeva had been fighting for hours at what point in the argument did Reeva say, “Time out now Oscar, no more yelling, I need a snack”(rather than Reeva having a midnight snack that Oscar was unaware of) .

Eh? Senseless stuff.

And back to Oscars stumps. We are to believe that Oscar was having a row (a terrible screaming enraged row) with Reeva, but he at some point said, “Time out now Reeva, no more yelling, I am am going to take my legs off, since I am in such an agitated and angry state I feel I should make myself feel vulnerable as well.”

Nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:47 pm 

Had a bit of time to waste earlier so made a little tongue-in-cheek interpretation of what Judge Masipa would probably like to ask Gerrie Nel, given the opportunity...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:58 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks Steve...

I think Nel is actually WORSE than you depict... he is not that specific :D

Needs more "cowbell" ... if there are three versions.. then I put it to you... there should have been pics of at least 3 Tea-breaks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:11 pm 
ADMIN

Thanks again, Steve....... Any excuse to post my little YT thing....

Pistorius Trial - Nellie the Elephant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm 

I think Nellie the Elephant is so funny.

I would still like to know how many neighbours and so called witnesses heard any screaming row between Reeva and Oscar, because thus far, they heard a lot - yet not one of them mentioned on the witness stand in court this horrendous row.

My posting will be as and when because at the moment I have a house full of visitors staying for a short time - between you and me, I'll be glad to get the house back to myself LoL :51

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:54 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Wroughead... nice to hear from you... enjoy the visitors... Cyber stuff can wait. :95

I don't think there was an argument...Estelle van der Merwe heard something... I think she was trying to be honest in her testimony... but it was one voice and not necessarily from OP's house... and it was not continuous from 2 to 3 am... Baba's evidence was "nothing amiss" at 2:20. Other than that there is no evidence of the sound of an argument from OP's house or anywhere else. Van der Merve could be "honest" in her evidence, yet mistaken in so many ways... as witnesses often (usually) are. It is far from a basis (beyond reasonable doubt) for the State speculation that there was argument starting around 2:00AM... with OP chasing Reeve around on his stumps for over an hour :doh
Then "cornering" her in the toilet and deciding to shoot her? :wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:12 pm 

We of course didn't see it because of Oscar testifying as he did without the cameras being able to show him.

But when Barry Roux had Oscar do the demonstration of removing his legs and stand in front of the door, you could tell murmurs of shock were going through the galley. It demonstrated how wobbly he was on his stumps and I think that was an OJ equivalent Kodak moment for Roux. It also demonstrated that without his legs, Oscar's height was just barely higher than the door handle.

This you can bet was one image Nel didn't want the 3 deciders to see.

Then he turns it into a two-fer by having him show that--standing on his prosthesis--he can kick way up to that mark that the prosecution thought was a ruse. But whoops! He apparently hits it dead on. :87

Just coincidentally the mark Vermeulen didn't seem to have much interest in. I wonder why Vermuelen.

Image number two Nel didn't want Thokozile to see :34

Well played Mr. Roux.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm 

Spot on Steve and I hadn't seen Nellie the Elephant so thanks on that too Rumpole.

Last edited by Carmelita on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Carm... silly song, but knowing it as I do it's been going thru my head since the trial started :)

You answered a question I had... you CAN see it in USA... it's "Blocked in some Countries" but YT have stopped telling WHICH countries :59

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:03 pm 

Hi Rumpole, it played fine for me. Funny song and funnier still with Nel and the zooming in on his "looking down his nose" face.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:04 pm 

Steve....love your Nel comic strip!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:17 am 

Rumpole wrote:
Van der Merve could be "honest" in her evidence, yet mistaken in so many ways... as witnesses often (usually) are.

This is so true. I've had such fun in the past trying to explain that witness testimony can be incorrect without the witness intentionally lying.

If we took all the witness statements and testimonies as being factually correct it would be impossible to reach a conclusion.

I also further extended this proposition to OP's testimony...

...it had an expected result.

:Q5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:23 am 
ADMIN

Yes Steve.... or perhaps... :2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:39 pm 

:heart HA what I've been missing! Computer down, husband sick.
LOL here in OR. Feels GREAT!!! Thanks Steve and R.
Love the "editing".
Missed all of you. :heart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:53 pm 
ADMIN

Hi Joni :give

You are not missing much... the trial is on hold all this month... while the Shrinks evaluate OP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:43 pm 
ADMIN

Reprising a post by Minor4th (Accepted and respected attorney) summarising her take on how the prosecution had done in proving their case.

This post dates back to early May, and so before most of the Defence case so far presented, and well before Nell decided to boost the Defence case.

Minor4th wrote:
I do not think the State has yet proved murder beyond a reasonable doubt for the following reasons:
  • The initial crime scene photographs (between 5:55 a.m. - 6:21 a.m.) are not reliable as depictions of an untouched crime scene because of the presence of several SAPS personnel handling evidence during the time of the initial photographs
  • The evidence and testimony suggests the gunshots happened at least 5 minutes before the cricket bat hit the door. If this is true, the screaming heard by ear witnesses could not have been Reeva
  • Aside from the screams, the only other evidence that even suggests "intention" to kill Reeva is Van Der Merwe's hearing a loud female voice in the hour preceding the shooting. While this is some circumstantial evidence, by itself it's not enough to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
  • There's no evidence that there was any kind of fight or acrimony between OP and RS on the night of the incident.
  • The evidence suggests that OP and RS were very fond of each other and enjoyed each other's company. RS expressed that she loved OP and there were loving-type messages exchanged on that day.

On the other hand, the state has gained some ground during the defense case - especially during OP's testimony. They have cast doubt on OP's version and his defense. I can't rule out the possibility that the state may still be able to prove their case by the time it's over. I am genuinely having trouble making any firm conclusions either way right now.

I do believe the state has presented enough evidence for a conviction for culpable homicide for these reasons:
  • Portions of Oscar's version seem improbable, and his testimony indicates to me that he has not told the complete truth - but I still believe it's reasonably possible that he thought there was an intruder in the bathroom who was going to attack him.
  • His testimony indicated that he might have been able to safely get himself and Reeva away from the perceived threat by exiting the bedroom. Before his testimony, I considered his actions more reasonable because I thought it would have been difficult or impossible for him to navigate the stairs quickly on his stumps -- but he did not mention this in his testimony, so that was apparently not one of his considerations.
  • His testimony was not real clear that he actually did shoot with the intention of lawfully defending himself. Although he was rehabilitated somewhat, he never made a conclusive statement that he was shooting to defend himself.
  • He approached the perceived danger and he stated that it's not his personality to run away.

Culpable homicide is going to be a judgment call for Masipa - I think there's evidence to support a conviction and there's also evidence to support an acquittal depending on how she interprets the evidence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:55 pm 

About reprising a succinct account of the evidence either proving shots came first or disproving bats came second?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:06 pm 
ADMIN

Johannes Vermeulen State door expert was quite clear that the bat strikes came after the shots.

It is pure speculation and a silly logical distortion to try and TWIST that clear evidence into "What if some bat strikes were before and some after" The evidence is that the bat strikes were after the gunshots. It is OP's version and it is the State expert testimony.

Nel was trapped by Roux into stating in open court categorically that the State Version is that gunshots were "second bangs" (just after 3:17)... I think they could have dismissed the charges at that point. It is impossible for the gunshots to have been at that time with cricket bat and all the rest after that before 3:19 phone call.
Nel has avoided explaining first bangs... or explaining the fact that NOBODY heard the "bat on door" after the 3:17 shots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 58  Next