It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:00 am 

I know someone who is a JSO officer & currently he's working in the duval county courthouse as a bailiff. The judge he's currently assigned to is judge Russell "hang em high" Healey LOL He's also one of MANY in that courthouse that can't stand Angela Corey. Anyway, he's even said it do n't look good for Dunn. I've just started reading up on this case only because he's come home talking about it & I'd just like to wait for trial to see/hear ALLLLLL the evidence before I decide if I think he's guilty/not guilty. But I do agree about him firing at a vehicle that was attempting to flee...not good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:05 pm 
ADMIN

Hearing today?

I found a link to a twitter feed that may be a source of some update on this case.

https://twitter.com/JacobLong_FCN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:15 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:22 pm 
ADMIN

Judge sets motions in Michael Dunn murder trial of Jordan Davis
11:25 AM, Dec 12, 2013
Jacob Long

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- New motions have been filed that could shake up the murder trial of Michael Dunn.

During Thursday's pretrial hearing, Judge Russell Healey:

• Denied the defense motion to have Michael Dunn's jury visit the gas station where Jordan Davis was shot out of security concerns.

• Granted the defense motion to ban shirts and bracelets that showed Jordan Davis support in the courtroom, stating that it could influence the jury.

• Will allow the state to let family members of victim remain in courtroom before and after testimony at trial.

The murder trial will be held in courtroom 406 of Duval County Courthouse beginning February 3, 2014.

...more at link
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/loca ... s-Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:55 pm 

Found this for bullet trajectories front and rear of the Red Dodge.

IANA-CSI!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 pm 
ADMIN

As Pre-Trial Phase Ends, Michael Dunn Likely To Try 'Stand Your Ground' Defense
By Melissa Ross and Patrick Donges

Michael Dunn, the man charged in the shooting death of Jacksonville teen Jordan Davis, is in court this week for two final days of pre-trial hearings.
[....]
Former Assistant State's Attorneys Sam Garrison, current criminal defense attorney at the law firm Kopelousos, Bradley and Garrison, and Randy Reep, principal at The Law Offices of Randy Reep, joined Melissa Ross to discuss the next steps in the Dunn case.

The case has become a flashpoint over racial politics and "Stand Your Ground" laws in Florida and has drawn national attention for it's similarities to the murder of Trayvon Martin.

...more at link
http://news.wjct.org/post/pre-trial-pha ... nd-defense

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:33 pm 

Even with the presumption of innocence and the fact that one not need be injured to claim SYG, I don't see how firing into a retreating vehicle would qualify.

Any one of the bullets from the side entry into the back seat could have been the lethal shot. If there is a GS wound to the back, as stated by LE,...game over. So far, I haven't seen anything to show reasonable doubt.

I still haven't found a copy of the autopsy report. Maybe I will try Weiner or Stutzman again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:05 pm 
ADMIN

Shame about the headline... since Zimmerman case was NOT about SYG..... :wall
The Dunn case invokes SYG... Zimmernman case DID NOT.

Another Stand Your Ground showdown?
Dec. 15, 2013 1:07 PM
by Rick Neale, Florida Today

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- Michael David Dunn lived the beachside life Northerners dream of: oceanfront condominium, successful software-engineering career, a pilot's license, a loving fiancee.

The day after last Thanksgiving, Dunn was in good spirits when he attended his son's wedding at a historic home overlooking the St. Johns River in Orange Park, a quaint Jacksonville suburb.

But after the wedding, Dunn got into a parking lot dispute with teenagers at a gas station that ended with a 17-year-old dead and Dunn charged with murder.

At first blush, the 47-year-old Dunn appears to be the kind of guy you'd welcome as a next-door neighbor, said John Phillips, the lawyer representing Davis' family.

"It's hard to try to construct somebody that's had a night like that, who seemed very normal coming in - the average person on the street - and then becomes, to some extent, a vicious killer," Phillips said.

"Recklessly firing 10 shots at a gas station, on one of the busiest shopping days of the year," he said.

Phillips said Dunn views Florida's Stand Your Ground law as a Monopoly "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

That's not the man Dunn's daughter, Rebecca, knows.

Describing her father as kind, loving, adventurous and "crazy-intelligent," she calls him her best friend and No. 1 supporter, besides her mom. The 21-year-old recalled how he used to wake her up so they could watch the sun rise together on the beach.

"I feel like I'm in an endless nightmare now," said Rebecca, who has received death threats since the shooting.

Police portray the South Patrick Shores resident as an out-of-control gunman who became enraged over loud rap music booming from a nearby car, grabbed a 9mm pistol from his glovebox and fired two volleys into a Dodge Durango containing four black teens. The gunshots killed Jordan Davis and narrowly missed two other boys.

Dunn told detectives he acted in self-defense after he heard threats and thought he saw Davis raise the barrel of a shotgun above the SUV's rear passenger window. No gun was found, police said.

Dunn's murder trial is scheduled to start Feb. 3 in a Jacksonville courtroom. After George Zimmerman's high-profile acquittal last summer for fatally shooting Trayvon Martin, Rolling Stone magazine has labeled Dunn's case Florida's other major Stand Your Ground showdown.
[...]
Wearing a yellow short-sleeved collared shirt and striped shorts, fidgeting and wiping his hands on his knees, Dunn related his side of the story - but neither detective bought his version of events.

Rather, they said details of Dunn's story didn't match those at the crime scene. Neither the surviving boys nor independent witnesses at the gas station said Davis had a firearm or tried to exit the SUV - in fact, one of the boys later said Davis couldn't have exited a rear door because the child locks were engaged.

"If there was a shotgun coming up at you, we would expect you to do what you did. The problem that we have is, there is no shotgun. That's the bridge that we've got to get across," a detective told Dunn.

"You keep dwelling on this shotgun as if there's one at the scene. If there was a shotgun, a BB gun, any type of gun at the scene - hell, if there was a water gun that was black that looked real at the scene. ..." the detective said.......

...more at link
http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/us ... le/4029387

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:37 pm 
ADMIN

As Pre-Trial Phase Ends, Michael Dunn Likely To Try 'Stand Your Ground' Defense
Thu December 12, 2013
By Melissa Ross and Patrick Donges

Michael Dunn, the man charged in the shooting death of Jacksonville teen Jordan Davis, is in court this week for two final days of pre-trial hearings.
[...]
"What you're seeing at this stage is an attempt by the court to resolve some of the more procedural motions that need to be taken care of with any trial, especially one that is as serious as the charges facing Mr. Dunn," Garrison said of the two days of scheduled hearings.

Those motions will likely include requests for the jury to visit the crime scene and rules on who may be in the gallery during the trial, often referred to as "housekeeping" motions.

It is yet unclear whether Dunn will attempt to use the state's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law in his defense, but Randy Reep says it is likely.

"In a tough case like this, it's not wise to put the defendant on the stand to testify prior to the real trial, when there isn't a high likelihood of succeeding," Reep said, referencing the trial and acquittal of George Zimmerman.

...more at link
http://news.wjct.org/post/pre-trial-pha ... nd-defense

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:50 am 

Was Dunn (the guy with the pistol) driving or, if you'll forgive the use of the term in this context, "riding shotgun"?

He may not have had a duty to retreat, but hanging around to get into a gun battle instead of putting it reverse and hitting the gas seems a bit counter-intuitive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:40 am 

IIRC, and I am too tired to go look... Wasn't it a couple of days before LE went to search the area that the SUV pulled into before returning to the gas station?

10 hours...no break! Sorry, tired.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:07 am 
ADMIN

Lest I get any agro, let me say....I am NOT on "Dunn's side"... happy to discuss this case from either "side".

My guess is Dunn was the driver "he reached for the glove box" to get the gun.

The rationale of SYG is that in turning to run (or trying to start and then reverse a car in a hurry), you COULD expose yourself to danger, serious injury (death) as you retreat. That is the POINT of SYG... rather than retreat you use force (including lethal force). In this case... assuming Dunn actually DID think a shotgun was about to be fired at him.. he might well have been blown away before he started the car and reversed very far.... hence he instead SHG and shot (multiple times)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 pm 
ADMIN

3-judge panel hears case of Dunn information delay
By Larry Hannan Tue, Dec 17, 2013 | updated Wed, Dec 18, 2013 @ 6:39 am

TALLAHASSEE | A Jacksonville judge’s decision to delay the release of all information in a high-profile murder case drew a skeptical reaction from a three-judge panel with the 1st District Court of Appeal on Tuesday.

Judge Russell Healey has delayed all discovery and motions from being released to the public in the Michael David Dunn trial.

Healey’s decision drew objections from The Florida Times-Union, First Coast News and WJXT TV-4.

Dunn, 47, is accused of killing 17-year-old Jordan Davis at a Southside gas station last year in a dispute over loud music. Dunn is white and Davis is black, adding to the national attention of the case.

Healey took action after the Times-Union and television stations reported on letters Dunn had written from jail after getting them as part of a public records request filed with the State Attorney’s Office. The letters complained about black people, Davis and the “daddy of the thug.”

Healey originally said he would delay the release of further discovery until he had a chance to review it. But after the news organizations objected, he said all discovery would be delayed for 30 days.

...more at link
http://members.jacksonville.com/news/cr ... S4.twitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:13 am 
ADMIN

Media wins court battle to keep Dunn-related documents public
8:47 PM, Dec 18, 2013

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida's 1st District Court of Appeals unanimously granted a request by Jacksonville media outlets and overturned a local judge's decision to delay the release of public records in the trial of Michael Dunn.

The three-judge panel determined Duval County Court Judge Russell Healey "acted with proper intent" when he ordered the delay, but nonetheless vacated his October decision to delay the release of Dunn discovery until he could personally review them.

...more at link
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstorie ... nts-public

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 pm 

This is good news. Maybe I can actually get my mitts on that autopsy report.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:21 pm 
ADMIN

Yes Deb..... please find all the docs you can.... and Give us the links... K? :give

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 pm 

Appeals ruling in favor of media outlets
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013 ... dunnjordan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:09 am 

I found a Larry Hannan from the Times Union and he said they were going to cover it gavel to gavel. naturally I begged for links to discovery. I am a shameless hookah for a link.

:29 :29 :29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:00 am 

Well this certainly was not in the news.....The family of Jordan Davis dismissed their civil suit against Michael Dunn

33 -- 7/1/2013
7/2/2013
MOTION TO STRIKE PORTIONS OF PLAINTIFF'S COMPLAINT (DEFENDANT'S)
34 -- 7/17/2013
7/21/2013
REPLY TO AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES (PLTF'S)
35 -- 10/4/2013
10/6/2013
NOTICE OF HEARING (PLAINTIFF'S) 12-10-2013@10AM RM 705
36 -- 11/14/2013
11/14/2013
NOTICE OF SERVING PROPOSAL FOR SETTLEMENT TO DEFENDANT
37 -- 12/5/2013
12/5/2013
NOTICE OF CANCELLATION OF HEARING (PLAINTIFF'S) SET FOR 12/10/2013 AT 10 AM IN ROOM 705
38 -- 12/30/2013
1/1/2014
STIPULATION OF DISMISSAL (JOINT)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32  Next