It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 am 

Rumpole, if docs start getting posted, it may be a good idea to go ahead and start saving them in one place, just in case, kwim? :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:24 am 

cherpa1 wrote:
I have a lot of interest in this trial. Of course, the Traybots are doing the little black boy routine again, totally disregarding what part the 4, 17 to 19 year olds had to play in the tragedy as they cursed and threatened Dunn. Can Dunn show fear of those guys? I dunno. The radio business is annoying while the only comfort for those disturbed by the decibels is that those listening to the loud music are losing their hearing and will be sorry later as I am sure these guys are sorry they did not leave the music turned down. It was the teenager shot that insisted his pal turn the music back up.

That's just so disgusting, cherpa1. I don't care what color the participants are and certainly wouldn't feel it something relevant enough to be discussed at length, mentioned in every post, etc. It's their racism showing. In trying to hide their racism, they repeatedly call attention to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:27 am 

flareon wrote:
In my opinion, this case isn't anything like the Trayvon Martin case except that it involves a black young man.

I have posted about this "hey, look at me I'm enlightened" meme on political boards but nothing shows it more than this case. You can always tell when someone is doing this and it becomes more than silly. It is tantamount to people who always seem to preface their remarks with my black friend, my black son - anything that purports to show that they are enlightened. LOL

Unless something surprising comes up in court, this is a clear cut case of murder. Mr. Dunn was angry and he acted on that anger. He left the scene - I agree it was because he was drunk - and his story does not comport with the scene when the police arrived.

I can't imagine that a jury will find anything other than guilty in this case.

Hiya, flareon! I've posted similarly here at RT numerous times. I so very much agree. In fact, my post just above this one is in a similar vein.

As far as guilt/innocence, I haven't seen enough info to form an opinion, but hopefully, some will start coming to this thread. Magically. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 am 

REMINDER - As noted in my signature, differences of opinion are allowed here. We don't all have to agree on things. Often, imo, it's better for those who disagree to thoroughly discuss issues, because then all sides get a better understanding of the issues involved.

Please do not feel that your views aren't appreciated if they differ from the views of other posters, regardless of the poster, or whether your views differ from a moderator*, or even admin! In some instances, your different views may be much more helpful to the discussion than a chorus of "me too". :)

In addition to all of that, it seems that posters in this thread are fairly evenly divided at this point. That's a great time to make your views known and perhaps help some of us fence sitters jump to one side or another. :)

RT has no worries about the hand-picked, smart posters here debating any issues, so there won't be any of those silly and often hypocritical warnings to play nice you've come to expect elsewhere. Nor will RT have any secret threads for posters to spew nonsense without challenge.

Those of us on the fence are very much looking forward to great debates on this case! :Q23

*Except Maltese Mama - don't cross her! :Gslap :lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:50 am 

This is good to Know!

:Q10

I have not drawn sides yet, altho, I must admit at first I thought GUILTY but then I heard some other things so i will wait and observe. And see what charges are needed, if any, but so far I am pretty sure there will be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:06 am 

Hiya, BertaBlue! That's kind of where I am - I've heard enough from both sides to know I don't know enough yet to agree or disagree with either. BTW - I updated that post since you read it; there's an important caveat at the *. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:09 pm 
ADMIN

liesel wrote:
Rumpole, if docs start getting posted, it may be a good idea to go ahead and start saving them in one place, just in case, kwim? :)

OK.... you've got the job :cool

I think I read that the trial is expected to take just 5 days. So I kinda think at this stage one thread will suffice as it does for most cases.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:11 pm 
ADMIN

Michael Dunn trial pushed to early next year
Author: Hailey Winslow
Published On: Aug 15 2013 10:14:53 AM EDT Updated On: Aug 15 2013 05:08:38 PM EDT

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - At a pretrial hearing Thursday for Michael Dunn, the man accused of shooting and killing 17-year-old Jordan Davis, attorneys agreed to reschedule the trial from next month to early in 2014.

Dunn is charged with murder in the death of Davis during in a dispute over loud music outside a Gate station last November.

Dunn claims self-defense after thinking he saw a gun in the SUV that Davis (pictured, right) and other friends were in, but police said no weapon was found in or around the vehicle.

Dunn's attorney asked for a continuance in the case and it was unopposed by the state attorney's office. Defense attorney Cory Strolla said he has to interview about 100 witnesses to get ready for the trial.

No trial date was set, but it was not expected to take place until January or early February.

,,,,more at link
http://www.news4jax.com/news/michael-du ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:51 pm 

So, Nelson isn't the judge - "A hundred witnesses by next month? Use nights and weekends!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 pm 

This is the Discovery for those interested in the Jordan Davis case:

http://www.news4jax.com/blob/view/-/195 ... erials.pdf

The real money shots are on pgs. 20-21 where it is described that the Red Durango was pulling away with Dunn firing into the back of it. There is no SYG defense when you continue to fire as the "threat" (and I use that term very loosely describing the boys in the SUV) has retreated. If he goes for SYG, it should be laughed out of court...

In my esteemed opinion and we all know I think highly of myself. :D

DISCLAIMER:
I haven't finished reading it all. It is about 114 pgs. long. I haven't found anything from Reciprocal Discovery yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 am 
ADMIN

Accused shooter of Jordan Davis complains about minorities in Jacksonville, insists in letters he fired in self-defense
Posted: October 17, 2013 - 6:01pm | Updated: October 18, 2013 - 10:04am

By Larry Hannan

The man who shot a Jacksonville teenager in a dispute over loud music complains about the black people he’s in jail with, writes derisively about 17-year-old Jordan Davis and his father and says he’ll get acquitted unless the jury is stacked with black people, jail letters from Michael David Dunn show.

An attorney for the Davis family called the letters “shockingly racist.”

Dunn also tries to convince his girlfriend, who was with him that night but didn’t witness the shooting, that he did see a gun despite not mentioning it to her.

The letters, obtained from the State Attorney’s Office as public records, had the recipients’ names blacked out. But the indications are they were to his girlfriend, parents, a grandmother, a daughter and several friends.

...more at link
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013 ... z2i270oldB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:43 am 
ADMIN

Michael Dunn's trial in Jordan Davis shooting set for Feb. 3
The judge's review of public records in case remains an issue
Posted: November 7, 2013 - 6:33pm | Updated: November 7, 2013 - 7:43pm
By Larry Hannan

The high-profile murder trial of the man who said he shot 17-year-old Jordan Davis in self-defense in a dispute over blaring music is set to begin Feb. 3 in Jacksonville.

Judge Russell Healey scheduled the date at a hearing Thursday. Michael David Dunn, 46, is charged with first-degree murder and three counts of attempted murder.

...more at link

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2 ... -set-feb-3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:46 am 
ADMIN

Judge revises order in Michael Dunn/Jordan Davis case on releasing public documents
Posted: November 19, 2013 - 8:12pm | Updated: November 20, 2013 - 8:57am

A judge has revised his order on how material will be released to the public in the high-profile murder trial of a Brevard County man who killed a 17-year-old Jacksonville teenager.

Michael David Dunn, 46, shot Jordan Davis in a dispute over loud music.

Last month following the release of jailhouse letters from Dunn, Judge Russell Healey said he worried that pretrial publicity would make it difficult to seat a jury in Jacksonville. He told lawyers on both sides that from now on nothing will be made public in the case until he reviews it.

That decision drew objections from The Florida Times-Union, First Coast News and WJXT TV-4. The media organizations asked Healey to withdraw his order, arguing that it didn’t follow Florida public record laws that say materials are public as soon as the prosecution hands them over to the defense in a criminal case.

Thursday the judge modified his order and said all material would be released to the public within 30 days of being handed over to him if the prosecution and defense don’t file a motion arguing that it should be kept confidential. If either side objects to releasing information, a hearing will be held to consider the situation.

...more at link
http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2 ... ing-public

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:48 am 
ADMIN

Taxpayers will foot the bill for some of Michael Dunn's defense
Posted: November 21, 2013 - 12:38pm | Updated: November 22, 2013 - 6:31am
By Larry Hannan

Florida taxpayers will be paying $6,500 to the man accused of killing 17-year-old Jordan Davis.

On Thursday Judge Russell Healey declared Michael David Dunn to be indigent, or broke, and said the state would pay $3,000 for his attorneys to obtain copies of depositions taken in the case and will also pay to hire investigators for $3,500 to look into Davis’ death. Healey took this action after attorney Cory Strolla told him that Dunn is completely destitute and his family can’t provide him with any more money toward his defense.

...more at link
http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2 ... ns-defense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:04 am 

I haven't read up on all of this case but firing after the kids were retreating and those jailhouse letters make it look real bad. I'm not sure where I stand yet but I may try to follow this one. Why in the hell the police didn't do a grid search for several days is beyond me. I think they waited too long, too, for a search for a weapon in the OJ case when he was accused of killing his wife and friend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:34 pm 

Read through most of the evidence and statements. From what I read, this guy is guilty and even if he had an all white jury, they will most likely find him guilty. The victims had no weapons and he continued to shoot at the vehicle as they were trying to get away. Just because they play loud music ( which I can't stand either) and just because they call you names or tell you off, doesn't give you a right to shoot at them. Unless his attorney can come up with a weapon in their vehicle, this guy is toast.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:39 pm 
ADMIN

I think you are right Froggie.

I have NOT got involved.. only read news reports as they pop up.. so as always I reserve full commitment until I see what gets presented at trial,, but from what I have read guilty seems the correct verdict... just a shame that Traybots will see it as some sort of win and compensation for the TM case... which it is not of course.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:50 pm 

His letter to Grandma

http://www.news4jax.com/blob/view/-/224 ... -1-pdf.pdf

Letter to his daughter...

http://www.news4jax.com/blob/view/-/224 ... -3-pdf.pdf

Letter to an unknown person (name redacted)

http://www.news4jax.com/blob/view/-/224 ... -2-pdf.pdf

I have to laugh at the letter to his daughter, he claims his attorney told him he has a better chance at self defense claim than George Zimmerman did. Ahhhhh I think he needs to find a better attorney LOL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:08 pm 

Dunn said he was threatened and saw a gun. There was a time period where the guys in the car could stash a weapon. The driver of the car was on probation for a Felony. These guys were not choir boys either. I would find Dunn Not Guilty and think the trial is going to be a surprise to the Traybots/Jordanbots and the McBridebots. My opinion only, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:12 am 

cherpa1 wrote:
Dunn said he was threatened and saw a gun. There was a time period where the guys in the car could stash a weapon. The driver of the car was on probation for a Felony. These guys were not choir boys either. I would find Dunn Not Guilty and think the trial is going to be a surprise to the Traybots/Jordanbots and the McBridebots. My opinion only, of course.

There is still the pesky little fact that he was firing into a retreating vehicle. He is going down. All IMO, of course.

The best part of all this is that Corey wants to try it herself. A case she should have no trouble winning and the rehab of her reputation after Zimmerman. People are up in arms trying to get another Prosecutor because they don't trust her.

:Q23 Perfection!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next