It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:09 pm 
ADMIN

The Michael Dunn trial will be live streamed. Jury selection will not be live streamed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:16 pm 
ADMIN

Attorneys debate use of photos in Michael Dunn retrial
Posted: 9:25 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014

By Leslie Coursey

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. —

The man accused in the shooting death of Jordan Davis is in court Thursday for a final pretrial hearing.

Dunn walked into the courtroom dressed in an orange jumpsuit and listened closely as his attorneys began arguing over photographic evidence.

One photo they tried to keep out of the second trial shows the windshield of the red SUV that Dunn admitted to firing into on the night after Thanksgiving in 2012.

Attorneys debated over a second photo showing the inside door panel of the SUV.

The judge ruled the photos are not prejudicial and will be allowed at trial, as well of those of Dunn's gun.

But the judge ruled the photograph of Dunn's holster will not be allowed to be shown to the jury during the retrial.

The judge also allowed the photo of Jordan Davis at the morgue.

The state argued the jury should see the "youth" in his face.

"Bendy," the foam doll used by prosecutors to show the bullet trajectories will also make a return to the courtroom.

...more at link
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/ ... ial/nhPw8/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 pm 
ADMIN

Leslie Coursey@LeslieANjax
ASA John Guy arguing def computer graphics could "create a reality for the jury that is not correct.

This sounds promising.(If Judge is not hood-winked)
IMO at the trial the defence FAILED to present evidence, ballistics etc which make a nonsense of state contention. It was impossible for Davis's door to have been closed when shots fired. The ME conclusions etc stemming from door closed were all wrong too. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:21 pm 
ADMIN

SHIT! The fix is in!!

Judge: Def cannot use animation, but can use photographs in his testimony. Def team looks disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:23 pm 
ADMIN

HOPE!

But keep in mind this is Angela Corey and John Guy Prosecution

#MichaelDunn def wants to readdress issue regarding computer animation/gfx. Judge allows. Later date.

#MichaelDunn final pretrial is over. Jury selection to begin Monday at 9:30am.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm 
ADMIN

Trial preview.....

Dunn faces second trial in loud-music murder case
Rick Neale, FLORIDA TODAY 4:04 p.m. EDT September 20, 2014

South Patrick Shores software developer Michael Dunn has been jailed since November 2012, and the 47-year-old will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars for firing 10 bullets at a quartet of black teenagers in a sport-utility vehicle.

But this week, Dunn returns to the courtroom. The former oceanfront condominium resident will be retried for first-degree murder for killing one of those teens: Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old who was sitting in the right rear passenger seat.

Both began arguing about loud hip-hop music blaring from the SUV at a Jacksonville gas station on Nov. 23, 2012. Dunn testified that he thought Davis threatened him with a shotgun or stick-like weapon, so he opened fire with his 9 mm pistol, striking Davis three times. But police did not find a firearm in the SUV.

In February — during the highest-profile trial involving a Brevard County resident in recent years — Dunn was convicted of three counts of first-degree attempted murder and one count of shooting or throwing a deadly missile.

However, the 12 jurors deadlocked on the murder charge, unable to reach a unanimous decision. Their mixed verdict fueled heated opinions from HLN's Nancy Grace and other national columnists and commentators about race relations and Florida's self-defense gun laws.

Monday, selection of a second jury begins at the Duval County Courthouse in Jacksonville. Once again, television networks plan to construct a temporary "media city" across Broad Street from the courthouse to cover the proceedings.

...more at link
http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/ ... /15963709/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:36 pm 
ADMIN

Jury selection has started.. not streamed.

I wont try and do blow by blow, but may post the odd nore in the Re-Trial thread

Michael Dunn - Retrial Murder 1 - RETRIAL UPDATES
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1260&p=81858#p81858

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:57 pm 
ADMIN

Michael Dunn renewed the motion for change of venue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:09 pm 
ADMIN

Jury selection continues today

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:20 pm 
ADMIN

Judge hopeful jury selection will end tomorrow. Opening statements Thursday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 pm 
ADMIN

Michael Dunn jury has been chosen. 8 men. 4 women. 2 black. 10 white.

Opening Statements tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm 
ADMIN

John M. Phillips@JohnPhillips

Last Jury had 8 whites, 2 blacks, an Asian and Hispanic. Hearing this one looks to be somewhat potentially similar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:49 am 

I will be busy most of tomorrow, so I will be checking back in later. Thanks for what you do!!!! Hugs!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:39 am 
ADMIN

Hi Mimi

I will (as always) update a READ ONLY thread.. but can comment discuss here in this thread.

Michael Dunn - Retrial Murder 1 - RETRIAL UPDATES
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1260&p=81918#p81918

And Video replays when available

Michael Dunn (Murder 1) - RETRIAL Video Replays
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=1261

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:44 am 
ADMIN

Just watching end of yesterday that I missed.

I REALLY seems shonky that Elia Harris (Davis Gfriend) did not show up, though subpoenaed, and so they just got someone to sit in and pretend/ act the testimony from last trial. Including previous answers to cross.
It sounds like both sides agreed to this and Judge got Dunn himself to endorse this procedure?
They will read an instruction that says "previous testimony being read" but surely some in Jury might well realize that there was a previous trial!!! And that is not supposed to be raised.

I would have thought that defence would object. If State lose a witness its THEIR problem.

As it turns out it was crap testimony. I can't see why they needed it at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:55 am 
ADMIN

Story causing delay at Dunn trial.. worry about a sitting juror..

AN INTERVIEW WITH A DUNN JURY REJECT

A one-time Folio Weekly contributor was in the pool. He’s not bullish on the prosecution’s chances

By AG Gancarski
Posted 9/26/14

Richard David Smith III is a name familiar to Folio Weekly readers, who saw his byline on almost a weekly basis a few years back. Last week, he came very close to serving on the latest Trial of the Century of the Week — the Michael Dunn retrial that tops our local news every evening. But it didn’t quite happen.

Smith spent three days at the courthouse for jury screening, a process he describes as “very long” and filled with “odd questions” from “too many lawyers trying to be comedians,” making “a lot of jokes about budget cuts.”

Some of those japes came from Angela Corey, who seems intent on improving her public image with this case. Folks on hand were treated to cornball quips like “I might break into song,” a joke she made while being told to hold the mic by the judge.

Many of the questions, Smith says, had to do with “race and gun ownership” — a trend reflected in the composition of the jury, many of whom have guns. It seemed to him — and to me — that the sweet spot in jury selection, those agreeable to prosecution and defense, led to a preponderance of gun owners with children. Given the fact that 10 of the 12 jurors are white, clearly there were factors other than race that came into play.

“I think the defense wanted white males, particularly gun owners,” he says. “I couldn’t quite figure out what the prosecution was looking for other than minorities and/or people with children.”

During the jury selection process, Smith asked for and received a private sidebar. When he divulged that he had written for Folio Weekly in the past, he says, “Angela Corey expressed great sensitivity to things that had been written about her there.” [Editor’s note: Ha.]

“She said, ‘you know they have written a lot of negative, unfair things about me in that magazine, right?” he says. [Editor’s note: Eye roll.]

Smith, of course, has never written about Angela Corey for Folio Weekly or any other publication so far as I’m aware. “I said it wouldn’t affect my impartiality,” he says, adding that “the fact that I brought it to the attention of the court voluntarily should have said something to her.”

An interesting side note, according to Smith: “A 400-pound white schoolteacher who was sitting by me really hated [Corey’s] humor, and made the joke that ‘she would have a hard time proving to a court that I am fat; there would still be reasonable doubt.’” That guy made it onto the jury, Smith says.

Smith also has doubts about the prosecution: “The bigger question to me is, ‘Is the prosecution competent enough to prove the case?’” He also believes he would have made a solid juror, even though his impression of Michael Dunn himself was that of a “stoic monster with a permanent frown carved into his face, like a reverse Joker.”

“If you think about it,” he says, “I would have been an ideal juror for this case. I am white, my wife is black, and our two sons are mixed. I am pro-Second Amendment. As a journalist, by trade I am objective. I am a stern believer in presumed innocence, agreeing with Benjamin Franklin’s statement that it is better 100 guilty persons should escape than that one innocent person should suffer. The crime took place within walking distance to my house. Basically, I was the perfect ‘peer’ in this case, yet was not selected. What does that tell you about the judicial system in Florida?”

...more at link
http://folioweekly.com/AN-INTERVIEW-WIT ... JECT,11021

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:57 am 
ADMIN

THIS seems to be passage that has halted trial

Quote:
An interesting side note, according to Smith: “A 400-pound white schoolteacher who was sitting by me really hated [Corey’s] humor, and made the joke that ‘she would have a hard time proving to a court that I am fat; there would still be reasonable doubt.’” That guy made it onto the jury, Smith says.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:27 am 
ADMIN

Trial gets underway again in a few hours.

Thinking about this case (and cases in general). Many people seem to dislike Dunn and regard him as guilty because of that. I can't say I like him either, but the personality of the defendant should not be an indicator of his guilt. Judges often include in Jury instructions words to the effect that decisions should NOT be made on whether or not you like a particular witness (including the defendant). Nor based on the likeability of the lawyers on either side. Neither should decision be made on emotional feelings about "the victim" or their family. It is irrelevant that the victim was attractive (or ugly). This sort of "Emotional bias" is what True Gossip Forums like to offer in discussion of a case. It should not be part of the proper evaluation of evidence in a court of law. Unfortunately, having said all that, and even with Judges instructions to juries, EMOTIONAL PLEAS do find there way into trial. John Guy's MO is to play on emotions. He specifically argued to the Jury in his GZ closing argument that he wanted Jury to deliberate based on emotion (and not the facts of the case). Guy is (IMO) a dishonest and very poor lawyer and prosecutor. However such lawyers do manage to operate successfully on that basis. Judges allow emotional argument, and Juries are swayed by it despite instructions on the law and their duty as Jurors. It is not uncommon for prosecutors to put aside their duty to get at the truth of a case in favour of a desire to "win" at all costs. Corey is of course the Queen Bitch in that regard.

So... even though Dunn is perhaps disliked, he is entitled to the justice of a trial based on evidence, and the application of appropriate laws. Even if his version is in part fabricated, he is still "innocent until PROVEN guilty, beyond reasonable doubt" He has claimed SD, that he was in fear for his life as Davis threatened him with a "gun" (or object that looked like a gun). The onus is on the State to disprove this. As I have opined.. the cops dropped the ball by not securing or investigating the WHOLE crime scene. That HAD to include the plaza car park where the Durango and occupants drove to. It simply had to. The Cops blew it. Just to illustrate this point. IF the Durango and occupants had remained at the shooting scene in view of witnesses and cops had turned up and secured the area that they did. I would have no argument to make in regards the POSSIBILITY of a gun., and it is the (reasonable) POSSIBILITY that there was a gun that the occupants ditched, that the defense is entitled to rely on. The fact is that the whole crime scene was not secured, that the car drove off to another location (then returned), provides REASONABLE DOUBT.. which is all the defense should require.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:51 pm 
ADMIN

LIVE COVERAGE: Michael Dunn Retrial
By Rhema Thompson

The state has rested its case on the fourth day of testimony in the retrial of Michael Dunn.

It was a combative and jarring last day of testimony for the state as former associate Medical Examiner Stacey Simons detailed the gunshots that left 17-year-old Jordan Davis dead.

Simons was the state’s 27th and last witness in the second trial of Michael Dunn. She was questioned by attorneys on both side for more than three hours.

Dunn is accused of fatally shooting 17-year-old Jordan Davis at a Southside Gate gas station during a confrontation over loud music. Dunn has claimed he acted in self-defense, and in February, a jury deadlocked on whether to convict him of murder.

As photos of Jordan Davis’s lifeless body flashed across the courtroom screen, his father Ron Davis stared straight ahead refusing to look. Davis’s mother Lucia McBath was not in the room.

Questioning became tense at times between Simons and defense attorney Waffa Hanania, as she drilled Simons on her credentials.

Hanania had initially objected to parts of Simons testimony, arguing she was not qualified to analyze ballistics. Again, she challenged Simons qualifications to re-construct a crime scene Monday.

...more at link
http://news.wjct.org/post/live-coverage ... lY.twitter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:53 pm 
ADMIN

The full transcript of courtroom conversation regarding the Juror dissmissal

Dunn Excerpt 9-27-14
http://www.scribd.com/doc/241351548/Dun ... pt-9-27-14

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next