It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:14 pm 

I found a picture of a man with a shotgun wound to the face that is beyond pretty graphic. As far as I know, he survived but the wound is quite similar to the description on the autopsy.

The point I am trying to make is that Thurswell repeatedly used the term "blew her head off" while there is no evidence that this did indeed happen. It isn't the only inflammatory statement he has issued.

EDIT RUMPOLE: Photo has gone from link

While I do not condone the statements by Thurswell, I am finding hard to condone the actions of Mr. Wafer. I don't believe they can get their Murder 2 conviction but if the Prosecution is willing to offer a plea, I would be the first to take it. That locked screen door...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm 
ADMIN

What actions do you not "condone" ?

What are you gonna do if someone is pounding on your door at 4AM? Cower IN YOUR OWN HOME (Hide under the blanket maybe?), and HOPE the cops get there? I think he showed bravery to open the door.... see who was there... perhaps tell them to "go away" at the very least.. but be prepared for a real bad bastard to be there when you open the door... in a VERY heightened emotional state... I'd have the safety off and the trigger half squeezed myself... shame the gun went off. However.... we all have the right to expect to be left alone in our home at night... and not have to deal with drunks banging on the door... she initiated this "confrontation"... "being drunk" is a reason, but NEVER an excuse, for doing something stupid (or lethal).

Oh... and I am a VERY reasonable person.... but a man's home is his castle....

I am not suggesting you SHOOT any drunk that shows up at 4AM.... but you certainly have a right to be armed... and if an accident happens... then it's the drunk's fault for being there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:48 pm 
ADMIN

And.... "looking for help" is BS

She had help at her car... twice... she went away and came back and went away again. If anything, my guess is she was looking for a place to hide from the cops. May have "thought" she was home... who knows... we'll never know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 pm 
ADMIN

Anybody heard from Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson yet.... they can't be far away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:00 pm 

FroggieLegs wrote:
Yep it's over 250k. The defense asked for 100k The Prosecutor's didn't object but judge gave 250k

I think we will be back in the donation defense fund business again.
That will drive the Trays crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 pm 
ADMIN

Theodore Wafer Arraignment Nov 15 2013

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
ADMIN

I have given this case it's own FORUM.... so that we can have multiple threads. Separate threads for Reference stuff, documents etc. and any hearings etc

The "Reference" thread is LOCKED (No Discussion)... please PM me if you have stuff to add.

Reference Thread
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=1109

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 pm 
ADMIN

Renisha McBride segment on OutFront (Sunny Hostin & Danny Cevallos comment) Nov 15 2013

I agree with Danny Cevallos.... Sunny Hostin is a race baiter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:27 am 
ADMIN

I wonder what , if anything her (allegedly) dead cell phone will reveal... here we go again.
The Family attorney says it was dead... but was it dead at the time of the crash... and before? Did she phone any of her family or friends? There was 3 and a half hours... was she picked up... brought back? WHERE is her phone now? etc etc etc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:10 am 
ADMIN

Here is an Interesting few posts from Websleuths... They seem to have a LOT more sense at WS than they do at InSessions2 (formerly Justice Quest)
liljim wrote:
i think the argument is going to be, as discussed up thread, that the only thing you need to consider is what happened after he opened the door.

if he knows his outer door is locked, if she isnt actively trying to come thru the screen or known to be holding some sort of weapon, then a person can conclude, based on evidence that we have not seen much of yet, that he had no reason to fear for his life/great bodily harm/her imminent entry into his home.

i believe there will be something in his statement that will support this, at least i would hope so or maybe he has been overcharged...

i hear noises that sound like a break-in in the middle of the night,
instead of calling 911 i decide to arm myself and investigate immediately = ok by law.

choose to open my door to see what is going on on my property, instead of staying inside = ok by law.

choose to aim my weapon at someone i find on my property and interrogate them as to what they are doing = ok by law.

firing my weapon at the person either purposefully or accidentally = not necessarily ok by law unless i have an honest and reasonable fear that they are about to kill or serious injure me, or that they are in the process of trying to gain entry to my house in which case i am automatically given the benefit of the doubt that it is reasonable to assume grave danger will follow.

so if i do end up firing my weapon and injuring/killing the person it is up to a prosecutor to look at all the evidence and interrogate me to decide if i am being honest and reasonably feared these things.

liljim wrote:
but i will add this, i remember a case where someone was dressed up in a halloween costume and went to the wrong house for what he thought was a party, a man shot him claiming basically just that he looked weird and was moving in a strange manner, and he was found not guilty.

he admitted that the guy was not trying to get in the house or attack him, or so close to him as to be an imminent threat, just that he looked really weird and scary.

i dont know what state that was in tho so the particular laws there would obviously have a huge impact on the verdict. (hopefully i have not butchered the details of this case, i think that is pretty close)

And somebody found the case... quoting a snippet from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Yoshihiro_Hattori
SwampMama wrote:
"Yoshihiro Hattori , November 22, 1975 – October 17, 1992) was a Japanese exchange student residing in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States, at the time of his death. Hattori was on his way to a Halloween party and went to the wrong house by accident. The property owner, Rodney Peairs, shot and killed Hattori, thinking he was trespassing with criminal intent. The controversial homicide, and Peairs's subsequent acquittal in the state court of Louisiana, received worldwide attention."

I remember this case because it was local and thought of it also.

Websleuths posts on this page
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showth ... 02&page=14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:04 am 

Being as he said the gun went off accidentally, he can't claim self defense. Well he can but I doubt he will win on that. I think he is screwed if forensics say that there is nothing wrong with the gun.

Just so you know, Michigan also charges 2nd degree murder to drunk drivers that kill someone too. Let's not forget, Michigan also charged and got a conviction of an 11 year old with murder 2. Nathaniel Abraham was 11 when he shot a shotgun that he claims he aimed at a tree and ended up killing someone. Forensics even said the shotgun had a messed up barrel that when shot, it went in a different direction than where it was aimed and even said there was no way he could of purposely aim the gun at the other person and hit them at that distance. The judge had the ability to sentence him as a juvenile, or as an adult, or a blended sentence of both which means as a juvie till he was 20 then place him in adult prison. The judge sentenced him as a juvie.

I honestly don't see this guy walking away or getting a lighter sentence.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:20 am 
ADMIN

Thanks for the cheery prediction :)

You can probably tell I am on the poor guy's side :)

And seeing the same old Traybot Worriers from the GZ case post the same sort of nonsense about this case has strengthened my feelings of support.

Being a "hopeless romantic" I can, and do, imagine myself in the place of various players in cases. It is easy for me to imagine some drunk banging on MY door at 4:00 AM..... if it was some bad dude.. calling the police would likely be futile. Too little too late if it WAS a home invasion of some type.

Calling cops and hoping is one option... but trying to take care of things yourself (then calling cops) is another... legitimate and legal option. In NZ I would NOT have a gun... but I sure as hell would if that option was available.

I can also imagine BEING the drunk.... and (sober later) I would consider myself VERY lucky if I was not met with a very negative reaction by the home owner. Being dead would be a bit much... but maybe in a country where home owners may well be armed... it should be a HUGE deterrent to us drunks?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 am 
ADMIN

WXYZ report.... first I have heard that Wafer managed to "bond out" and so was not incarcerated

Ted Wafer charged with the murder of 19-year-old Renisha McBride

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 am 

I don't mean to be a downer, really I don't. I just don't trust Michigan court system to do anything positive. I knew the minute I saw who the prosecutor was that she would charge him to the fullest extent. Guess it comes from living in Michigan. I honestly don't believe he killed her on purpose. I don't know whether he accidentally shot the gun or it went off on it's own. All I know is from experience (not criminal) with the Michigan judicial system, I have zero faith in them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:16 am 
ADMIN

I accept that Froggie :give

We STILL have not seen much of the evidence... her cell phone for instance... though I do agree the case will (should) be focused mainly on the brief time around the actual shot. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:52 pm 
ADMIN

Legal wrangling ahead in Mich. porch shooting case
Posted: Nov 16, 2013 8:40 PM Updated: Nov 17, 2013 10:42 AM
By MIKE HOUSEHOLDER
Associated Press

DETROIT (AP) - The way Renisha Marie McBride's young life ended Nov. 2 is not in dispute: A homeowner in suburban Detroit fatally shot the 19-year-old in the face as she stood on his porch before the sun came up.

Almost every other aspect of the case is not as clear-cut.

Did race play a role in the shooting? What exactly happened on that doorstep? Did the homeowner reasonably believe he was acting in self-defense?

Police and prosecutors say Theodore Paul Wafer fired once with a 12-gauge shotgun through his screen door at McBride.

The 54-year-old airport maintenance employee, who faces murder and manslaughter charges, is free on bail awaiting a Dec. 18 hearing that will determine if the case should go to trial.

Ron Bretz, a Cooley Law School professor and former criminal defense attorney, says the case may boil down to a single word.

"It's got to be reasonable," he said. "The question is: What would a reasonable person do in these circumstances?"

That may be the key question in determining Wafer's guilt or innocence, but much else is left unknown about a case that features legal and societal implications.
[...]
Defense lawyers are expected to argue that Wafer feared for his life when a drunken McBride - toxicology reports put her blood-alcohol content at well above the legal limit for driving - came to his door in the middle of the night hours after crashing her car blocks away in Detroit. Those factors contribute to Wafer's "very strong defense," said his lawyer, Mack Carpenter.

...more at link
http://www.wkrg.com/story/23986214/lega ... oting-case

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:08 pm 
ADMIN

Renisha McBride segment on CNN's Legal View Nov 15 2013 (has clips of investigation at house)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:12 pm 
ADMIN

Law Firm representing Theodore Wafer

Carpenter Law - Case Victories

The cases described below are examples of the results Mack Carpenter and Cheryl Carpenter have received for our clients. We cannot promise you a particular outcome since every case is unique. What we can promise you that we will fight and zealously defend you.

http://carpenterlaw.us/case-victories.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:31 pm 
ADMIN

(3RD UPDATE) DEARBORN HEIGHTS: Man charged in shooting death Renisha McBride
Published: Sunday, November 17, 2013
By Scott Held
Press & Guide Newspapers

DEARBORN HEIGHTS — The man police believe fatally shot Renisha McBride was ordered held on bond Friday afternoon.

Theodore Paul Wafer, 54, from Dearborn Heights, was arraigned before 20th District Judge Mark Plawecki, who set bond at $250,000 cash/10 percent. He is facing charges of second-degree murder, manslaughter and felony firearm.

Wafer, dressed in a gray T-shirt and jeans, stood mute during the brief court appearance. Attorney Mack Carpenter entered a plea of not guilty on his behalf and a preliminary examination of the evidence against his client was scheduled for 9 a.m. Dec. 18.

Carpenter, who is representing Wafer with his daughter, Cheryl Carpenter, asked Plawecki to set bond at $100,000. Citing the nature of the charges, the judge agreed with prosecutors’ request for the higher amount.

Officers were sent to Wafer’s house at the corner of Outer Drive and Dolphin after he called 911 at 4:42 a.m. Nov. 2 and told the operator he had shot someone.

Five officers arrived and the first found McBride, 19, of Detroit, lying on the front porch with a gunshot wound to her face. She exhibited no vital signs and was not armed.

According to a police report, Wafer walked out the side door of the house with his hands out to his sides when officers arrived. Wafer allowed officers to search his house, where they found a Mossberg 12-gauge pump-action shotgun with a pistol grip inside near the front door.

A spent shell casing was nearby.

....more at link
http://pressandguide.com/articles/2013/ ... =fullstory

BBM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:34 pm 
ADMIN

"Mossberg 12-gauge pump-action shotgun with a pistol grip"

Nice gun... ideal to have on hand for intruders in the night and self defence.

12 Gauge Pump Mossberg 500 Persuader Pistol Grip Shotgun Review

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next