It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:21 pm 

Heinous, cruel, depraved manner will be deliberated upon tomorrow, according to attorneys on ABC.
This is where I think she will lose again. Heinous, cruel, depraves as one can get. :WW

Also, shut down any money making for her or her family. If a suit is filed and won (no brainer)
any $$$ jodiarias could make will go to Travis's family. Hell yes, it's a good day. :28

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:21 pm 

Maltese Mama wrote:
I thought convicted felons couldn't profit from their crimes, anyway, per the Son of Sam law?

As with so many of our laws, I think that depends on the individual state? Don't know about Arizona. I'll try to google.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:22 pm 

LET's Watch it again!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:26 pm 

Nancy Grace just showed footage of the family's as the verdict was read.
WOW, hope it's out there for on video! Very tearful! :95 :rose

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:26 pm 

Something quick and I just heard from a commentator that the state of Arizona will probably work on this (the prisoner from profiting)

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/son-of-sam-laws

Gravano argued that seizure of royalties from Underboss violated the First Amendment under Simon & Schuster. An Arizona appeals court rejected his arguments in State of Arizona v. Gravano (2002), ruling that the Arizona forfeiture statute, unlike a Son of Sam law, was not specifically targeted at expressive works. The court explained:

Thus, whether proceeds of an expressive work are forfeitable under the statutory scheme does not depend on the content of the work, and the Underboss royalties owed to Gravano may be subject to forfeiture regardless of the message conveyed in the book if a causal connection between racketeering and the proceeds exists. Accordingly, the forfeiture statutes as applied here are content-neutral.

Gravano appealed to the Arizona Supreme Court, which declined to review the decision. The U.S. Supreme Court also declined to review a further appeal. “I think what most states will do is what Arizona did,” says attorney Freeman. “They will avoid the Son of Sam laws altogether and find another way to forfeit a criminal’s assets, such as going under a RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) statute. Arizona cleverly went through the state RICO law. I think more prosecutors will find creative ways to get around the constitutional problems imposed by the Son of Sam decisions.”

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:27 pm 

Mama I believe you are correct. Perhaps, this civil action is to protect Travis A. and family from future seediness via books, made for t.v. dramas, etc...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:27 pm 

Attorney on Live video says he doesn't think they can take away the twitter account because it's done through a third party proxy.

:stamp

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 pm 

Infamous Serial Killers - Son of Sam Law & Jodi Arias Murder Trial, Verdict is In, Who Profits?

May 8, 2013

Read more: http://www.nationalledger.com/politics- ... z2Sjszhnqa

But a report notes that the state of Arizona has a "Son of Sam" law that prevents convicts from profiting off the publicity of their crimes.

There is a big "but" though, one pundit speculates Arizona's "Son of Sam" law may violate the U.S. Constitution and may not be enforceable based on other such laws that have been overturned around the country.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:31 pm 
ADMIN

This thread is close to 1000 posts....

I'll let it dribble on today...... new thread starting tomorrow... for penalty phase etc.

Don't get lost on your way to thread #7 :cool

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 pm 

There are 3 other women on death row right now. Jodi will hopefully be the fourth!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:39 pm 

I think this jury will give her death. This is a very red conservative state. I don't think any liberals were on that panel. Anyway we can hope.

The family's wrongful death civil suit takes care of any profits to Jodi and her family. Like Goldman, it is the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:39 pm 

Live with Chris Hughes.

"Family feels great . We can't bring Travis back but we got the right verdict. Very intense, everyone holding hands in the courtroom."

Asked what he thought of Jodi's reaction: Chris Hughes saw her "smirking at the jury, but it's her, what do you expect?"

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:40 pm 

Remote wrote:
There are 3 other women on death row right now. Jodi will hopefully be the fourth!

There is only two now. One of them recently got her verdict overturned after 22 years on death row. Not the one Juan put on death row though.

Last edited by murderbythebook on Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm 

Can't do much about the twitter, all they could do would be to take away the phone- her phone calls.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm 

I do believe they will recommend death, but they seem divided.

5 jurors - premeditated
7 jurors - commentator thinks these could convict of 1st degree, but based on felony murder charge

commentator thinks Martinez will shift his presentation during the felony phase.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 pm 

murderbythebook wrote:
There is only two now. One of them recently got her verdict overturned after 22 years on death row. Not the one Juan put on death row though.

That's what I thought I had read some time back, but this commentator (lawyer) said that....I'm sure he could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:44 pm 

kjnelson wrote:
Can't do much about the twitter, all they could do would be to take away the phone- her phone calls.

Looking forward to the Sheriff's (hopefully Arpaio??) press conference at 7:30pm EDT

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 pm 

Thanks for all the Son of Sam law info. I was unaware of the constitutionality issues with it. (Ridiculous!) Makes sense now why they are suing civilly.

I don't care about the tweets anymore. If Donovan tweets for Jodi now, I can imagine the return tweets she'll get. The gloating and responses should put an end to it. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 pm 

Notice everyone, that after the verdict is read and the jury is dismissing,
jodi turns to look at them, she stands behind jennifer.
Watch the look on jens face, she is freaked out that jodi is standing behind her, (expecting to get her throat slashed.)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:50 pm 

Remote wrote:
I do believe they will recommend death, but they seem divided.

5 jurors - premeditated
7 jurors - commentator thinks these could convict of 1st degree, but based on felony murder charge

commentator thinks Martinez will shift his presentation during the felony phase.

5 premeditated.
7 both premeditated and felony.

I don't believe that shows them divided. It looks like that burglary argument Juan gave them worked.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next