It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm 
ADMIN

Sidebar.... I believe it is normal to NOT interrupt closing arguments.. to some extent... but what can you expect from Lavit?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
ADMIN

Lavit's turn...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:16 pm 
ADMIN

Lavit playing the race card for all he is worth....

Daphne is the one giving all sorts of real assistance... "Now... she is the WHITE girl... uncle in law enforcement... she's not charged with anything... lets be fair to everyone, folks" (black jurors)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 pm 
ADMIN

Lavit finished... got back to his chair... and remembered "one more thing".... started to quote from The bible - Genesis... there was objection... now he is quoting from "To Kill a Mockingbird"... man found guilty who was innocent... in wrong place at wrong time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 pm 
ADMIN

LUNCH... the Prosecution get another go... then jury instructions... then deliberations.

Resume at 1:15 PM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:10 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 pm 
ADMIN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:35 pm 
ADMIN

Judge Blackwood now instructs jurors on the law.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm 
ADMIN

Judge is releasing alternate jurors, Jury retire to deliberate......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:45 pm 
ADMIN

Day 5: Jurors deliberate in Vanessa Coleman retrial
Posted: Nov 20, 2012 5:07 AM

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - Jurors began deliberations in the case against Christian-Newsom defendant Vanessa Coleman Monday afternoon.

Closing arguments began in the morning and lasted through the early afternoon. Earlier on Monday, the defense called Vanessa Coleman's parents to the stand before resting their case.
...snip....

Prosecutors give closing arguments

After a brief recess, Assistant District Attorney Takisha Fitzgerald began giving closing statements.

She outlined the timeline of events in the deaths of Christian and Newsom and reviewed the evidence that tied Coleman to the crimes.

She argued that Coleman could not have been in fear for her life because she chose not to leave the house at any point or return to Kentucky with her friend, Stacy Lawson, when she offered.

She said that the other men left her at the home alone with Christian, including the time the men left to kill Christopher Newsom.

"If it wasn't for Vanessa Coleman those four guys couldn't have taken Chris Newsom to the train tracks," the prosecutor said. "Ms. Coleman, at that point of time, is the only captor."

Fitzgerald argued that Coleman had to have heard Christian being tortured in the house because of the severity of Channon's injuries.

The defense argues for acquittal in closing arguments

Attorney Theodore Lavit reminded jurors of their mission outlined during jury selection in Jackson.

He cautioned jurors against finding Coleman guilty because she was present in the Chipman Street house or by association because she was with the other defendants.

"I want you do judge this fairly," he said. "She was just caught up in something."

Lavit argued against the prosecution that Coleman had any involvement and said there was no proof to connect her to the crimes.

During the statement, Lavit repeatedly referred to Coleman as an 18-year-old girl to emphasize her age.

Lavit got heated at times, raising his voice loudly. He said the state did not meet its burden of proof in the case.

He acknowledged that she lied in her first interview, but said the majority of her given statements were consistent.

"We wouldn't be here if Vanessa's story didn't have some warts on it," Lavit said. "Every case has warts on it, or it wouldn't be a case."

"I wish Vanessa hadn't lied. I wish Vanessa hadn't touched the bindings from where her skin cells came off," he continued.

Lavit compared Coleman to the character Tom Robinson in the classic book "To Kill a Mockingbird", saying she was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.

He said that some of the diary entries were written in the presence of Cobbins.

"It represents, ladies and gentlemen, the immature words of an 18-year-old who was unable to try to process what she had witnessed down here," he told jurors.

Lavit said Coleman was afraid of Cobbins.

"She said, 'I was scared out of my mind.' Well, who wouldn't be," he said.

The jury broke around midday for lunch.

Assistant DA Leland Price speaks to jurors

After a lunch recess, Assistant District Attorney Leland Price spoke once more to jurors.

He advised them to go over the evidence that had been presented to them.

He said that Coleman had to know that Christian was being brutalized and raped by the other men because she heard Christian say "no, stop don't do that".

Price said Coleman had to have known because she testified that Christian walked as if she was sore.

He argued that while Lemaricus Davidson kept his former girlfriend, Daphne Sutton, from entering the room where Christian was held, he did not require the same of Coleman.

Price once again showed jurors images from Coleman's diary written after the crimes.

"What better way to get in her mind, to know what she's thinking than by looking at her journal," he said, before reading some of the entries.

Price said the diary did not indicate someone who was held against her will or someone who was afraid of her boyfriend.

Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood then read the charges against Coleman and gave instructions for reaching a decision before turning over to deliberations around 3:15 p.m.

....more at link
http://www.wate.com/story/20136786/day- ... sa-coleman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:48 pm 
ADMIN

I thought that Takisha Fitzgerald and Leland Price did a great job (Lavit..... not so much)

But...... I have not been impressed with some Jury decisions lately.. so we can but wait and see.

It would be a travesty if Coleman got much less than 50 years... in fact she should ideally spend the rest of her life in prison.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:52 pm 
ADMIN

A recap of the case and previous trials

The four indicted were:

• George Geovonni "Detroit" Thomas (b. January 23, 1983), 24, who faced a total of 46 charges. Thomas was indicted on 16 counts of felony murder growing out of the rape, robbery, kidnapping, and theft of Christian and Newsom, 2 counts of premeditated murder, 2 counts of especially aggravated robbery, 4 counts of especially aggravated kidnapping, 20 counts of aggravated rape, and 2 counts of theft.

• Letalvis "Rome" Cobbins (b. December 20, 1982), 28, who faced the same 46 charges as Thomas. He has also been charged with assaulting a correctional officer while incarcerated pending trial. In 2003, Cobbins was convicted of third-degree attempted robbery in New York state. He and Davidson are brothers. Cobbins was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

• Lemaricus Devall "Slim" Davidson (b. June 13, 1981), 30, who faced the same 46 charges as Thomas. Previously Davidson had just completed a five-year sentence in Tennessee on a previous felony conviction for carjacking and aggravated robbery on August 5, 2006.

• Vanessa Coleman (b. June 29, 1988), 18, who was arrested by the Lebanon Police Department in Lebanon, Kentucky. She faced 40 Tennessee state charges. Coleman was indicted on 12 counts of felony murder growing out of the rape, robbery, kidnapping, and theft of Christian and Newsom, 1 count of premeditated murder (of Christian only), 1 count of especially aggravated robbery (of Newsom only), 4 counts of especially aggravated kidnapping, 20 counts of aggravated rape, and 2 counts of theft. She was convicted and sentenced to 53 years in prison on July 30, 2010. She described her time in Knoxville as "an adventure."

In each indictment, the large number of rape counts were included to provide a range of options for prosecutors, not to reflect the number of rapes which actually occurred.

The 5th Suspect:

• Eric DeWayne "E" Boyd, 34, was arrested in connection with the fatal carjacking, though not indicted by the Knox County grand jury. Boyd faced federal charges in United States district court as an accessory after the fact for helping the suspects evade the police. Later, Boyd was also accused by Thomas and Cobbins of rape and murder, and a search warrant was obtained for his DNA. The accusations by Thomas and Cobbins did not result in state charges against Boyd, but he is serving 18 years in federal prison on his conviction as an accessory to the carjacking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:46 pm 
ADMIN

Jamie Satterfield:

How long did the last VC jury deliberate? - two days

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:02 pm 

Any predictions as to the jury verdict? I'd speculate that according to the evidence I heard, "Nessa" should again be found guilty but the fact that she was given this retrial doesn't inspire confidence in our justice system these days. I hope we're not going to be looking at a hung jury Thursday evening. The Newsome & Christian families have already been through 5 state trials & Eric Boyd's Federal Trial. It's hard to watch Gary Christian (Court Officer also) rocking to & fro while testimony was in progress, I can't imagine the anxiety Mr Christian's being subjected to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm 
ADMIN

I am NOT going to predict... but I hope she gets 53 years again.

The facts are clear to me.. but I have seen 5 trials now, and read most of what has been written on the case.
I think the Prosecution laid it out well (again)... but did the Jury get it?

As I have commented... Lavit comes across as a nasty angry man.. who is clearly spinning facts... but that's just me.. maybe some see him as a forceful lawyer doing his best for his client? For me Lavit's performance would make me MORE inclined to convict any client.

After the Pinellas Pinheads... I would not PREDICT what a Jury is going to decide.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:43 pm 
ADMIN

Jamie Satterfield:

Jury going home for the night

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:47 pm 
ADMIN

Jamie Satterfield:

Drive home tune "Whisper My Name" by Randy Travis. If you've heard the song, you know why

Randy Travis - Whisper My Name

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:36 pm 
ADMIN

VERDICT WATCH

STATE OF TENNESSEE V VANESSA COLEMAN

Live Streaming Links:

http://www.wate.com/category/173163/liv ... eman-trial

http://www.wbir.com/video/breakingvideo.aspx

http://www.local8now.com/live

Updates and News links:

http://www.knoxnews.com

http://www.wbir.com

http://www.wate.com

Follow on Twitter:

Jamie Satterfield (Knox News)
https://twitter.com/jamiescoop

Stephanie Beecken, WATE
http://twitter.com/StephBeecken

Hillary Lake, WBIR
http://twitter.com/hillarylake

Gene Patterson
http://twitter.com/gpatterson12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:40 pm 
ADMIN

Jury still deliberating after break for lunch.

They have a question ... returning to court

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next