It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:04 am 
ADMIN

In-depth: Coleman verdict

Knoxville attorney Don Bosch joins us to break down the verdict in the Vanessa Coleman trial.

http://www.wbir.com/video/1980537473001 ... an-verdict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
ADMIN

Vanessa Coleman's sentencing date has been set to Feb 1st at noon [ET]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 am 
ADMIN

Vanessa Coleman blames 'bad guys,' drugs in plea for sentencing leniency
By Jamie Satterfield
Posted January 29, 2013 at 9 p.m.

She's beat the blues, kicked the drugs, cooled that temper and recognized the siren's call of bad boys.

So says Vanessa Coleman in detailing her rehabilitative efforts behind bars since she was charged in the January 2007 torture slayings of Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23.

State Probation Officer Susan Wilder this week filed what's known as a pre-sentence investigation report on Coleman in the run-up to a sentencing hearing Friday for Coleman after a jury in November deemed her guilty of facilitating the kidnapping, rapes and death of Christian.

The probation report is designed to help Senior Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood decide just how much time Coleman should garner.

Her defenders are urging leniency to the tune of 20 years. Prosecutors are pushing for maximum, stacked sentencing for a total of nearly 50 years.

Coleman was sentenced after the first trial to 53 years but no longer faces that hefty a punishment because the second jury, which hailed from Jackson, Tenn., cut her a break on some of the lesser charges.

In the report, Coleman confessed she was a six-joint-a-day marijuana smoker and used as much as a half-ounce of cocaine a day in the days leading up to the slayings.

"She said she was influenced by 'bad guys,' " Wilder wrote.

...more at link
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jan/2 ... s-in-plea/

Coleman's sentencing hearing is at 12 noon ET, Friday Feb 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:37 am 
ADMIN

Parole possible for Vanessa Coleman if defense gets wish
6:36 PM, Jan 30, 2013

Vanessa Coleman, the only woman convicted in the brutal murders of a Knox County couple, will be sentenced for the second time for her part in the crimes on Friday.

Channon Christian and Chris Newsom were carjacked, raped, and murdered in January 2007. Three men, Lemaricus Davidson, Letalvis Cobbins, and George Thomas were convicted in their deaths, along with Vanessa Coleman.

t will be up to Special Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood to sentence Coleman. He will look at several factors in deciding how much time she should spend behind bars, and attorneys on both sides have filed paperwork to support their opinions in the matter.

Prosecutors are pushing for the maximum, saying her admitted drug use "clearly establishes a long history of criminal behavior." Prosecutors also cite the extreme physical and psychological cruelty that Christian was subjected to during the crimes, and that Coleman did nothing to prevent it.

They also cited passages from Coleman's journal, calling her time in Tennessee a "big adventure." Coleman has claimed that she was also a prisoner in the Chipman Street house where Christian died, and could do nothing to stop the crimes.

In court filings, Coleman's attorneys ask for the minimum sentence on every count, and that they be served concurrently. Prosecutors tell 10news that would mean Coleman would get 15 years for the charge of facilitation of 1st degree murder, at 30 percent. That is a Class A felony charge with a sentence of 15 to 25 years. Credit for the six years Coleman has already served behind bars, would make her eligible for parole now.

...more at link
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.as ... yid=251862

Document: Sentencing Enhancement and Mitigation Factors (43 pages)
http://www.wbir.com/pdf/12912_coleman_sentencing.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:03 am 

I haven't been keeping up, but have seen snipets, but have to post about
this:
>six-joint-a-day marijuana smoker <

Sorry to say that all 6 joints of weed will do is put her to sleep. Maybe why she's fat,
but no way 6 joints of marijuana made her do this.... k?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 am 
ADMIN

Yes but cocaine as well... in the trial it came out they were smoking "Wet Blunts" which is dope with other shit.

Besides... I know Canaby smokers are generally "mellow" but people can be soooooo.... mellow they are almost unconscious.. don't really know what they are doing and inhibitions lowered too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:41 am 

I was thinking that about the coke.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am 

I have to stress blame on the cocaine.
I defend canaby.
Canaby would never exhibit this action.

>don't really know what they are doing>
Never- canaby smokers are never out of it to the point they don't know what they're doing, its not rational.
They pass out, but just sleep, never to out of it to not know what they are doing.
Canaby ALONE does NOT effect in an evil way.
that is my 2cents.
Canaby smokers write books.
The worst they do us mess up a lot on the computer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 am 

May I also say that NO ONE in their right mind would even used 6 joints per day.
Maybe 6 joints per year......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am 
ADMIN

Vanessa Coleman set for sentencing in Christian-Newsom retrial verdict
Posted: Feb 02, 2013 2:14 AM

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - Vanessa Coleman is scheduled to appear in a Knox County courtroom Friday to learn of her sentence for her role in the abduction and slaying of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom.

Coleman was convicted in November on 13 of 17 counts of facilitating the torture, rape and murder of Channon Christian.

...more at link
http://www.wate.com/story/20932370/pros ... sentencing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:08 pm 

she got 35 years, which isn't enough, IMO .... with time served already, she could be out in about 5 years .. Just hope she stays in there !!!! I'm sure the parents & others will be at EVERY parole hearing!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 pm 
ADMIN

If you are still around... do you have a link?

I will go look anyway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 pm 
ADMIN

Judge sentences Vanessa Coleman to 35 years
By Jamie Satterfield
Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:04 p.m., updated February 1, 2013 at 2:32 p.m.

Deena and Gary Christian clutching a photograph of his murdered daughter Channon Christian 21
listen as Judge Judge Jon Kerry Blackwood announces the sentencing of Vanessa Coleman on Friday
February 1, 2013. (J> Miles Cary/News Sentinel)

A judge minutes ago sentenced Vanessa Coleman to 35 years in the January 2007 torture-slayings of Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23.

A jury in November deemed her guilty of facilitating the kidnapping, rapes and death of Christian.

It was the second time Coleman had been tried in the case. She was initially convicted of similar facilitation charges in a May 2010 trial, but a new trial was ordered up in the wake of a pill scandal involving the judge who presided over the original proceedings.

Coleman's lawyers had argued for leniency — a 20-year sentence — claiming she'd beaten the blues and kicked the drugs. Prosecutors had asked for maximum, stacked sentencing for a total of nearly 50 years.

Coleman was sentenced after the first trial to 53 years but no longer faces that hefty a punishment because the second jury, which hailed from Jackson, Tenn., cut her a break on some of the lesser charges.

...more at link
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/feb/0 ... sentenced/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:22 pm 

sorry Rump ... I had just read it, & didn't pick up the link .. I live in TN so it's a big deal here, course I'm not in Knoxville .. I read about the sentencing on Facebook ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:23 pm 

I know one thing, I'd be EXTREMELY pissed off, if I were the parents .. This bitch should have gotten what she was sentenced with the first time . .. over 50 years, ugh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:26 pm 
ADMIN

close wrote:
sorry Rump ... I had just read it, & didn't pick up the link .. I live in TN so it's a big deal here, course I'm not in Knoxville .. I read about the sentencing on Facebook ...

It's OK I have links at my finger tips on this lot... I followed it all last time and this time.

YES she got off lightly with 50 years before.... I am SURE she was very involved.. even more than was specified at trial.

She is a waste of space.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 am 

Weed was not Vanessa Coleman's problem .. IMO, it was most likely crack cocaine. If there's a hell, I hope she rots in it .

Edit Rumpole:
Seems there are THREE naughty girls in this thread.... Close, kj Nelson, and Maltese Mama
Interesting chat on dope smoking and smileys... but the thread went off the rails :95
The chat is great... moved to "Daily chat" thread. I am bringing back the odd comment that related to Vanessa Coleman
:24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:35 am 

35 years are you kidding me? Wasn't she the master-mind of it all? :93

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:32 am 

She was there and I think just as guilty but so sad that time passes and she gets a break. Sure seemed like a pure hate crime to me but maybe I feel this way because the "lamestream media" kept the news about this case down over all. I suppose if they were on or coming off of wet sticks then they could have become detached from reality and more aggressive if they had PCP in them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:01 pm 
ADMIN

The doped up Baumgartner has a lot to answer for.

In the first trial things were laid out much more clearly.... you got a better sense of the horror, and I think Coleman's participation in things.... partially because the WHOLE events were there, including stuff about Chris Newsom.... even though Nessy "got off" on charges relating to Newsom... it was important to hear that evidence and so describe all the horrors.

This latest trial was somewhat limited in describing events because a lot of the evidence was inadmissible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next