It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 pm 
ADMIN

Hi rt. I do look for headlines... they don't change, but I just found an update.

Ridgeway suspect to be transferred to adult facility
6:05 PM, Nov 27, 2012

By Blair Shiff / KUSA, WBIR partner

New Mugshot

On Tuesday, the prosecution and the defense debated whether Austin Sigg will be moved from his current juvenile facility to an adult facility. Currently, Sigg is being held in Mount View Youth Detention Facility. Prosecutors and the defense in the murder case of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway gathered in court Tuesday morning to argue this. In the end, the court decided to transfer Sigg to Jefferson County Detention Facility in Golden.

The Attorney General's Office filed the petition with the court on behalf of the Department of Youth Corrections asking for Sigg's transfer to an adult facility. Judge Stephen Munsinger said Sigg is to be transferred "as soon as practical."

The 17-year-old suspect Sigg appeared in court Tuesday. He turns 18 on Jan. 17.

Both families were in court. When Sigg walked into the courtroom, he smiled at his mother. Jessica's family was also present; they were all wearing purple. Neither family showed much emotion.

The courtroom was extremely secure as at least 20 deputies circled the room.

....more at link
http://www.wbir.com/news/article/243222 ... t-facility

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:01 am 

Thanks Rump. There was a time when we took both major Denver newspapers and I watched the local and national news all the time while I was listening to and participating in all the radio talk shows. Then one day I passed the torch and quit all those.... Now I watch FOX to get the truth, particularly about what's going on in Israel, but I don't do local news.

The last time I watched the local news they had an animal abuse story and I vowed I'd never watch local news again. If I told you about that story you wouldn't sleep for the rest of your life. I felt abused by the station after watching it. It really did put me in some kind of emotional shock, and I'll forever be pissed at them for showing that story.

So....for some strange reason this young killer chose to be evil, rotten to the core and ruin other people's and his own life and break his mother's heart and a lot of other hearts too. No good comes out of any of it. Society just must be protected from him forever.

"Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour." Leviticus 19:15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am 
ADMIN

Sadly though.... this just one case amongst many that we could follow.

I'll keep an eye out for news, but I don't expect much until we get closer to a trial.

Perhaps there will even be a plea and no trial to speak of?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:43 pm 

If I'm not disremembering (yes, that's an actual word...ugly but true) I believe he has made a confession. I hope so, we can't really spare the money to prosecute him.

"Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour." Leviticus 19:15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:42 pm 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway's 'killer' faces another sexual assault charge after 'physical force and threats used in girl's abduction'
By Associated Press
PUBLISHED: 20:42 GMT, 12 December 2012 | UPDATED: 20:42 GMT, 12 December 2012

Prosecutors said today that they have filed an additional sexual assault charge against the teenage boy accused of kidnapping and killing ten-year-old Jessica Ridgeway.

Austin Sigg, 17, allegedly used physical force and threats to sexually assault the Colorado girl, according to the latest charge.

Jessica was abducted as she walked to school in the Denver suburb of Westminster on October 5. Her body was so gruesomely dismembered that police struggled to identify the body.

....more at link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... harge.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 am 

How awful. Poor Jessica. :97

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 am 
ADMIN

Judge: Closed hearing, new charges in Jessica Ridgeway case
By Kirk Mitchell
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/12/2012 09:03:46 AM MST

GOLDEN — In an exceedingly rare move, a judge has ruled that the public will not be allowed to attend a preliminary hearing in the case against a 17-year-old accused of murdering 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway.

"The preliminary hearing will be sealed. It will be closed," Judge Stephen Munsinger said. The preliminary hearing scheduled for Feb. 22 will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to try Austin Sigg for murder.

Munsinger's decision came unexpectedly Wednesday morning as he ruled on numerous motions by Sigg's defense attorneys.

The move violates the public's First Amendment right to attend court hearings, Colorado Press Association attorney Chris Beall said.

Beall said that this type of order is frequently challenged on Constitutional grounds and he is consulting media clients including The Denver Post about what action to take.

...more at link
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/ci_ ... is-morning

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:32 pm 

It is so sad.

And it is curious as to why they ordered to close the preliminary.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 am 
ADMIN

Austin Sigg trial should be open to public
The community ought to be allowed to attend hearings for Jessica Ridgeway's suspected killer.

Posted: 12/29/2012 12:01:00 AM MST
Updated: 12/30/2012 12:04:19 AM MST

Jefferson County District Attorney Scott Storey's request that an upcoming hearing for the 17-year-old accused of killing Jessica Ridgeway be open to the public is an encouraging development in a high-profile case.

A judge had previously made a rare — and in our opinion extreme — decision that the public wouldn't be allowed to attend the preliminary hearing for Austin Sigg, accused of abducting and killing the 10-year-old Westminster girl.

...more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_22 ... pen-public

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 am 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway hearing to remain closed
Reporter: Associated Press
Posted: Sat 10:54 PM, Jan 19, 2013

GOLDEN, Colo. (AP) -- A judge is denying the media's requests for access to a key hearing for a teen accused of killing a 10-year-old suburban Denver girl and attacking a jogger.

Judge Stephen Munsinger ruled Friday that the preliminary hearing for Austin Sigg will remain closed to the public to ensure Sigg has a fair trial and to protect the privacy of the alleged victims and their families.

Munsinger had ruled earlier the hearing would be closed so that reports of the hearing wouldn't influence potential jurors. On Friday, he denied requests from prosecutors and media organizations including The Associated Press to reconsider.

Sigg is accused of kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway of Westminster in October and of attacking a jogger in Jessica's neighborhood in May.

...more at link
http://www.nbc11news.com/localnews/head ... 27661.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 am 
ADMIN

Supreme Court to hear media's case over Austin Sigg hearing
Posted: Thu 3:02 PM, Jan 31, 2013

DENVER (AP) -- The Colorado Supreme Court will consider arguments in the media's request for access to a key hearing for a teen accused of killing a 10-year-old girl and attacking a jogger.

The court Thursday granted the media's request to argue for access to the Feb. 22 preliminary hearing for 18-year-old Austin Sigg.

Judge Stephen Munsinger says he closed hearing in order to ensure a fair trial and protect the privacy of the victims and their families. Prosecutors and media organizations including The Associated Press, argue that Munsinger issued his ruling without hearing evidence or considering alternatives to preventing the public from attending a court hearing.

Sigg is accused of kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway of Westminster in October and of attacking a jogger in Jessica's neighborhood in May.

http://www.nbc11news.com/news/regionaln ... 67871.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:48 am 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway case: Colorado high court orders judge to explain closed Austin Sigg hearing
By Kirk Mitchell
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/31/2013 01:04:24 PM MST

The Colorado Supreme Court is ordering a Jefferson County District Court judge to explain why he closed the preliminary hearing for the man accused of killing Jessica Ridgeway.

Judge Stephen Munsinger has until Feb. 11 to file a brief with the Supreme Court in the case against Austin Sigg, 18, according to Steven Zansberg, attorney for several local news organizations including The Denver Post, The Associated Press and 9News.

Following Munsinger's response, Zansberg's office will have five days to respond to the judge's brief. The Supreme Court will then decide whether to uphold Munsinger's order or open the court hearing to the public, Zansberg said.

Munsinger had rejected a motion from the media to reconsider his earlier decision to close the preliminary hearing.

...more at link
http://www.reporterherald.com/ci_224908 ... ost_viewed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 pm 
ADMIN

Judge Defends Decision To Close Jessica Ridgeway Murder Hearing
February 11, 2013 8:08 PM

DENVER (AP) – A Jefferson County judge is defending the unusual move of closing a key hearing for a teen accused of killing a 10-year-old Westminster girl and attacking a jogger.

Judge Stephen Munsinger on Monday asked the Colorado Supreme Court to clarify standards for closing a hearing.

Munsinger has closed the Feb. 22 preliminary hearing for 18-year-old Austin Sigg to the public. He said he wants to ensure a fair trial and to protect the privacy of victims and their families.

Prosecutors and media organizations, including The Associated Press, argue that Munsinger didn’t hear evidence or consider alternatives before closing the hearing.

Sigg is accused of kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway in October and of attacking a jogger in May.

Sigg’s attorneys say they’ll weigh in by Feb. 19.

...more at link
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/02/11/j ... r-hearing/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:55 am 
ADMIN

Attorneys For Jessica Ridgeway Murder Suspect Back Judge On Closed Hearing
February 19, 2013 6:43 PM

DENVER (AP) – Lawyers for a teen accused of killing a 10-year-old Westminster girl and attacking a jogger say a judge didn’t abuse his discretion in closing the teen’s preliminary hearing to the public.

The judge said last year he would close the hearing planned Friday for Austin Sigg, saying he wants to ensure a fair trial and to protect the privacy of victims and their families.

Media organizations including The Associated Press appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court. In a document filed Tuesday, they argued that a prosecutor already said in open court that Sigg allegedly confessed to killing Jessica Ridgeway in October.

Sigg’s attorneys argue the judge reasonably ruled to close the hearing after balancing the media’s right for access against Sigg’s right to a fair trial by an impartial jury.

...more at link
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/02/19/a ... d-hearing/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 pm 

I think that it's better to have closed hearings for crimes like this against children.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:32 am 
ADMIN

Grisly Jessica Ridgeway murder details revealed, including suspect’s 911 call to police

Posted on: 11:06 am, February 22, 2013, by Will C. Holden and Dave Young, updated on: 07:24pm, February 22, 2013

GOLDEN, Colo. — Jessica Ridgeway’s suspected murderer got on the telephone and told police he killed the 10-year-old girl. The call to 911 was played during his preliminary hearing Friday.

“I murdered Jessica Ridgeway,” Sigg says during the phone call. “I have proof that I did it and I’ll answer all the questions that you want.”

He then told police that he hid parts of her body in the crawl space of his mother’s house. The information came when his mother called 911 to turn her teenage son in to authorities.

In a calm voice she said, “My son admitted to murdering Jessica Ridgeway and attacking the jogger at Ketner Reservoir,” Mindy Sigg told Westminster police. “He has human remains in the crawl space of my house.”

That was on the night of October 23, nearly three weeks after Jessica Ridgeway disappeared.

More details in the Jessica Ridgeway murder case were revealed during the preliminary hearing. The court proceeding was made public thanks to a ruling from the Colorado Supreme Court.

Those new details fell in a timeline beginning when Ridgeway’s backpack was discovered and ending when Austin Sigg’s mother made the 911 call to police.

Ridgeway’s autopsy was also made public, with prosecutors saying it revealed she died of asphyxiation and suffocation by strangulation.

...more at link
http://kdvr.com/2013/02/22/grisly-jessi ... -of-death/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 am 
ADMIN

Austin Sigg 911 tape: 'I murdered Jessica Ridgeway, I have proof that I did'

Judge: Enough evidence for Sigg to stand trial

Posted: 02/22/2013
Last Updated: 3 hours ago
TheDenverChannel.com Team

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - A judge ruled on Friday that there is enough evidence for a teen to stand trial for murder and attempted abduction about an hour after prosecutors played a 911 tape where Austin Sigg admitted to killing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway and to trying to kidnap a female jogger.

The five-minute recording played during a Friday preliminary hearing began with the teen's mother, Mindy Sigg, calling 911 on the night of Oct. 23, 2012.

....More at link
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/je ... ry-hearing

"I need you to come to my house, my son wants to turn himself in for Jessica Ridgeway's murder," the mother tells a dispatcher.

Then the 17-year-old is heard on the tape telling the dispatcher, "I murdered Jessica Ridgeway, I have proof that I did. I'm giving myself up completely, there will be no resistance whatsoever."

The dispatcher then asks the teen if he has a criminal history.

"The only other (incident) was Ketner Lake, where a woman was attacked. That was me," Sigg said.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:39 pm 

Closed hearings for teens seems best to me too.

I remember the Scott Dyleski trial for killing Horowitz's wife Pamela Vitale and how the kid was demonized by the media. And interpretations by paranoid and ignorant people were rampant.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 pm 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway case: Suspect Austin Sigg expected to enter a plea on Tuesday
Sigg faces 18 counts

Posted: 03/12/2013

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - The teenager accused of kidnapping and killing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway is expected to enter a plea in court on Tuesday afternoon.

During last month's preliminary hearing for now 18-year-old Austin Sigg, prosecutors played a 911 call where Sigg admitted to killing Ridgeway and to trying to kidnap a female jogger.

...more at link
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... on-tuesday

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 pm 
ADMIN

Austin Sigg to enter plea in kidnapping, death of Jessica Ridgeway
Posted: 03/12/2013 11:44:32 AM MDT
Updated: 03/12/2013 01:27:12 PM MDT
By Karen Augé
The Denver Post

GOLDEN — Austin Sigg on Tuesday will answer charges that he kidnapped and killed 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway last fall.

Sigg, who turned 18 while in jail, is charged with 18 counts related to Jessica's death, as well as an attack on a jogger at Ketner Lake over Memorial Day weekend last year.

Sigg's arraignment is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. before Jefferson County District Court Judge Stephen Munsinger. Sigg was bound over for trial after a preliminary hearing Feb. 22.

Munsinger had ordered that preliminary hearing closed, but the Colorado Supreme Court reversed the order.

At that hearing, it was revealed that, on Oct. 19, more than two weeks after Jessica disappeared, one of Sigg's neighbors called a tip line and gave police the lead they needed to solve the case

On that day, two FBI agents went to Sigg's home in Arvada, and he submitted his DNA.

During the hearing, a tape was played of a call Sigg's mother, Mindy Sigg, made to police on Oct. 23.

...more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... a-ridgeway

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next