It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:15 am 
ADMIN

Police: Definitive link between May abduction try and murder of Jessica Ridgeway
Posted: 10/22/2012 08:26:27 PM MDT
Updated: 10/23/2012 12:25:15 AM MDT
By Jeremy P. Meyer
The Denver Post

WESTMINSTER — Police confirmed a definitive connection between the attempted abduction of an adult jogger on Memorial Day near Ketner Lake and the murder of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway.

However Westminster police investigator Trevor Materasso would not say what that link is.

"Police need to preserve the integrity of the investigation as much as possible," he said Monday afternoon.

Westminster police held a meeting with television news directors Monday afternoon to ask them to use more discretion about the details being reported about the case.

On Sunday night, Fox 31 reported elements of the case, attributed to unnamed sources, that Materasso told The Denver Post contained "bad information."

"We are confident in the accuracy of our story and stand by it 100 percent," Fox 31's Vice President of News Ed Kosowski said.

...more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_21831856

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:38 am 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway murder: Investigators collect approximately 500 DNA swabs in connection with case
Posted: 5:18 PM
Last Updated: 5 hours and 57 minutes ago
By: Phil Tenser, Jaclyn Allen, 7NEWS

WESTMINSTER, CO - DNA samples have been collected from about 500 people as investigators continue to work through tips and evidence related to the murder of 10-year-old Colorado girl Jessica Ridgeway.

Everyone who submitted DNA samples in the case did so voluntarily, said Westminster Police Department spokesman Trevor Materasso. Samples were collected orally, using a DNA swab.

...more at link
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/ ... -with-case

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:08 pm 

I think if children are going to meet other children and walk to school, they should be taken to that point by a parent or a relative. Our children CANNOT walk the streets ALONE anymore. They are not even safe in their bedrooms as we all know.

About 2 years ago, I had this idea, and told some of my friends who have single daughters who go out on Friday and Saturday nights in groups. If they all leave the Bar at once, they should ALL WALK to one car on the lot, (not separate), and that driver should drive them to each of their cars, and make SURE it starts up, before they leave them.

Even if ONE wants to leave early ... 2 should walk her out to her car and she can then drive them back to the front door of the club and continue on home. No girl should ever be alone anywhere near any Bars/Clubs these days!! They surely are there, waiting - watching. The rape and killing of Aimee Willard back where I live was that way. He was sitting outside the club waiting for a lone girl to leave it. He followed Aimee in his car ... got her on this long winding exit ramp. He banged into the back of her car. Star athlete, Dad a cop, was home on a college break and got together with her old friend's at Smokey Joes. What chance do other have if he got her? That's when I got my gun ... and got NRA to teach me how to use it. I was out at 2:00AM almost every night as musicians always are...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:30 pm 
ADMIN

Suspect arrested in Jessica Ridgeway murder case
By Doug Stanglin

2:22PM EDT October 24. 2012 - Police in Colorado have arrested a 17-year-old community college student in connection with the killing of 10-year-old Jessica

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... o/1654699/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:34 pm 
ADMIN

Police: Suspect in Jessica Ridgeway murder is 17-year-old boy
Posted: 10/24/2012 11:25:11 AM MDT
Updated: 10/24/2012 12:25:56 PM MDT
The Denver Post

Westminster police have arrested a 17-year-old boy for investigation of the kidnapping and murder of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway.

Austin Reed Sigg was arrested late Tuesday night after police received a tip that led them to a home near Ketner Lake Open Space, according to a news release from the Westminster Police Department.

"This morning the Ridgeway family was notified of this arrest," Westminster Police Chief Lee Birk said. "We hope and pray this arrest gives them some measure of closure in dealing with their horrible loss and tragedy."

The Associated Press has reported that Sigg's mother said the boy turned himself in, but elaborated no further.

Authorities also said that charges will be filed against Sigg for the May 28 attempted abduction of an adult jogger near Ketner Lake, which authorities confirmed earlier this week was connected to Jessica's kidnapping and murder.

Sigg will be charged with two counts of murder in the first degree and a second-degree kidnapping charge, among others. He will make his first court appearance Thursday at 10 a.m. in Jefferson County.

According to police documents, Sigg is a student at Arapahoe Community College. On March 23, he won second place in the Crime Scene Investigation division of the Health Occupation Students of America State Leadership Conference competition.

According to arrest documents, Sigg lives about a block west of Ketner Lake Open Space and about 1½ miles south of where Jessica Ridgeway was snatched from the street as she walked to school the morning of Oct. 5.

Police are blocking access to Sigg's home. A search warrant is being served on the home, Westminster police investigator Trevor Materasso said.

Police will release additional information at a news conference at 12:05 p.m. at the Westminster Police Department.

....more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... geway-case

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:28 pm 
ADMIN

The suspect is 17 years old.
So I imagine that over at the Trayvon Zone he is regarded as a mere child?

Probably just needs some love and sympathy... he may go on to be an Astronaut?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:31 pm 
ADMIN

Unbelievably.... this case is now "private" at JQ

I assume with a "suspect" named they can now get down to more serious hate and "lynch mob" posting? And need to hide away under their rock with this case too?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:49 am 
ADMIN

Police: Suspect in Jessica Ridgeway murder is 17-year-old boy
Mother's phone call to police leads to the 17-year-old suspect's surrender

Posted: 10/24/2012 11:25:11 AM MDT
Updated: 10/24/2012 11:59:02 PM MDT
By Chuck Murphy, Jeremy P. Meyer and Jessica Fender
The Denver Post

WESTMINSTER — The police search for the killer of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway led them just a mile from where it began, to the home of a teenager with an aptitude for crime-scene forensics and an interest in mortuary science.

Authorities arrested Austin Reed Sigg, 17, who lived about 1½ miles from Jessica in a neighborhood near Ketner Lake. The arrest was made Tuesday evening after Sigg's mother called authorities and he turned himself in.

"Today, I believe we have taken a significant step toward justice for Jessica," Westminster police Chief Lee Birk said. "We hope and pray that this arrest gives (the family) some measure of closure."

.....more at link
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... geway-case

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 pm 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway Murder Suspect Calm in Court Appearance
By CLAYTON SANDELL and CHRISTINA NG
Oct. 25, 2012

The 17-year-old arrested in connection to the abduction, murder and dismemberment of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway made his first court appearance today, remaining calm as the judge announced that he will be tried as an adult.

Austin Reed Sigg was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of two counts of first-degree murder, one count of second-degree kidnapping and two counts of criminal attempts.

The charges against Sigg are for Jessica's death and for the alleged attempted abduction of a jogger in May 2012.

Though Sigg will be tried as an adult, if convicted, he is not eligible for the death penalty or for a mandatory life sentence without parole, under Colorado law.

Sigg was wearing a bright, light green jumpsuit in court and his hands and feet were both shackled, according to ABC News' Denver affiliate KMGH. He was calm throughout the proceedings, interrupting the judge once to say he had not understood part of the hearing. It was explained to him by his court-appointed attorney.

Several members of Ridgeway's familly were in court, including her mother and aunt. The Ridgeway family was dressed in purple, Jessica's favorite color. Sigg's mother was also in the courtroom.

The teen will be held in a juvenile facility without bond until his next court appearance on Oct. 30 when charges are expected to be formally read.

Sigg's defense asked the judge to put all documents in the case under seal and issue a gag order, according to KMGH. The judge sealed the documents, but did not issue a gag order.

..more at link
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ridgew ... Il01mf4JHg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 pm 
ADMIN

From reports I hear....

He was studying "mortuary Science"
He won 2nd place in a Crime Scene Investigation course
He has confessed to Jessica murder and the attempted abduction of a jogger.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm 
ADMIN

Prosecutor: Teen confessed to Jessica Ridgeway killing
Douglas Stanglin, USA TODAY

12:12PM EDT October 25. 2012 - GOLDEN, Colo. -- Prosecutors say a Colorado teenager has confessed to the abduction and killing of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway and a related attack on a jogger that eventually led to his arrest.

Authorities also said at a court hearing Thursday for 17-year-old Austin Reed Sigg that they have "overwhelming" DNA evidence against the suspect, who kept his head bowed for much of his time in court and said very little.

Jessica disappeared while on her way to school Oct. 5. Her body, described by police as "not intact," was found five days later in an area of abandoned mines in Arvada.

Sigg spoke occasionally with his lawyer and at one point made eye contact at one point with relatives of Ridgeway, who were in the courtroom wearing purple ribbons in the girl's memory, the Associated Press reports.

As soon as Sigg, sporting a goatee and a mohawk, was brought into the courtroom, one of his family members began to sob.

During the hearing, his public defenders kept referring to Sigg, who is being held at Mount View Youth Services Center, as a "child."

The suspect, who will be formally charged on Oct. 30, is being held on suspicion of first-degree murder, felony murder and kidnapping in Jessica's case and faces charges of a criminal attempt to kidnap and murder in the attack on a jogger at Ketner Lake.

Sigg, a student at Arapahoe Community College, was arrested Tuesday evening at his home about a mile and a half from Ridgeway's home in Westminster, Colo.

KUSA-TV reports that police say they found partial remains of the 10-year-old during a search of Sigg's home on Wednesday. I

The Post quotes longtime friends of the suspect as describing him as sweet and "very smart."

If convicted of murder, Sigg would not face the death penalty because of his age.

KCTV reported that this legal reality disappoints Jessica's paternal family, who live in Independence, Mo.

"I think it's all I've got within me not to just want to just burn him, and I mean burn him," Jessica's great-grandmother, Donna Moss, told KCTV Wednesday evening. "I meant literally lit him on fire. Send him to hell in a blaze of glory."

Police in the Denver suburb of Westminster said they took Sigg into custody on Tuesday night after receiving a phone call, apparently from his mother, that led them to the suspect.

Reached by phone, Sigg's mother told the AP that he turned himself in.

"I made the phone call, and he turned himself in. That's all I have to say," said Mindy Sigg, before she broke down in tears and hung up.

Authorities said Sigg also will face charges in the May 28 attempted kidnapping of a 22-year-old runner at the Ketner Lake Open Space.

Police have said the two crimes are connected but haven't elaborated.

In the May case, a woman fought off a stranger who grabbed her from behind and put a rag that smelled of chemicals over her mouth, authorities said. Police haven't determined if the substance on the rag was meant to subdue
the woman.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2012 ... h/1656495/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 pm 

Hard to think about a teenager being able to cut up a body. So sad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 pm 
ADMIN

Yes.... but he was studying "mortician" stuff? Who does that in the first place?

I know morticians are necessary.. but hard to imagine somebody choosing that as a job? And studying it at school?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway Murder Suspect Austin Reed Sigg Calm in Court Appearance

By CLAYTON SANDELL (@Clayton_Sandell) and CHRISTINA NG (@ChristinaNg27)
Oct. 25, 2012

The 17-year-old arrested in connection to the abduction, murder and dismemberment of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway made his first court appearance today, remaining calm as the judge announced that he will be tried as an adult.

Austin Reed Sigg was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of two counts of first-degree murder, one count of second-degree kidnapping and two counts of criminal attempts.

The charges against Sigg are for Jessica's death and for the alleged attempted abduction of a jogger in May 2012.

Though Sigg will be tried as an adult, if convicted, he is not eligible for the death penalty or for a mandatory life sentence without parole, under Colorado law.

Sigg was wearing a bright, light green jumpsuit in court and his hands and feet were both shackled, according to ABC News' Denver affiliate KMGH. He was calm throughout the proceedings, interrupting the judge once to say he had not understood part of the hearing. It was explained to him by his court-appointed attorney.

Several members of Ridgeway's familly were in court, including her mother and aunt. The Ridgeway family was dressed in purple, Jessica's favorite color. Sigg's mother was also in the courtroom.

The teen will be held in a juvenile facility without bond until his next court appearance on Oct. 30 when charges are expected to be formally read.

Sigg's defense asked the judge to put all documents in the case under seal and issue a gag order, according to KMGH. The judge sealed the documents, but did not issue a gag order.

...more at link (including video report)
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ridgew ... Iq2Zmf4JHg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:10 am 
ADMIN

Police look at teen in death of Jessica Ridgeway for 2 other child cases
By P. SOLOMON BANDA The Associated Press
Friday, October 26, 2012

The police in a Colorado town where the body of a missing 10-year-old girl was found said yesterday that they want to question a teenage suspect in two unsolved child enticement cases.

A sketch developed in the September incidents bears some resemblance to 17-year-old Austin Sigg, who’s being held on suspicion of first-degree murder and kidnapping in the death of Jessica Ridgeway, Arvada police spokesman Sgt. Mark Nazaryk said.

The sketch and Sigg’s mug shot wasn’t an exact match, Nazaryk noted.

He also said investigators were trying to determine if Sigg had access to a royal blue, four-door sedan described by witnesses in both cases.

The September child enticement cases involved a man who tried to lure two boys about the same age as Jessica into a car.

No suspects were identified in those incidents.

...more at link
http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/2521 ... t-juvenile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:24 pm 
ADMIN

Austin Sigg, Jessica Ridgeway case: Women report strange encounters with Sigg
Posted: 8:28 AM
By: Deb Stanley, 7NEWS

WESTMINSTER, Colo. - When Emily Alexander’s 11-year-old daughter said she knew who kidnapped Jessica Ridgeway the day after it happened, no one believed her.

“I feel bad I dismissed it. She was right,” said Alexander. “She said, ‘Mom, oh my God. I know who did it: the Goth teenager from the park.”

At the park down the road from their house, Alexander said a teenage boy had been acting strangely, staring at her daughter and walking by their home.

“She pointed him out right across the street from our house a few days after Jessica disappeared,” said Alexander.

But Alexander said she never thought the suspect would be a teenager, until she saw Austin Sigg’s mug shot on the news Wednesday night.

Christie Mueller recognized the stare as well.

“When I saw his mug shot, I literally took a step back, and it just hit me,” said Mueller.

Twice last summer, while running on a trail near Standley Lake, Mueller saw Sigg walking with two friends and something was not right.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/aust ... z2AiJg2RTF

...more at link
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/aust ... -with-sigg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:42 am 
ADMIN

Prosecutors to file charges in Jessica Ridgeway case
By P. SOLOMON BANDA
The Associated Press

DENVER -- A teenager who prosecutors said confessed to killing a 10-year-old girl and attacking a runner at a nearby lake was set to be formally charged in adult court Tuesday.

Prosecutors are expected to charge Austin Sigg, 17, in the slaying of Jessica Ridgeway and in a separate attack on a 22-year-old woman.

...more at link
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/30/38 ... es-in.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:21 pm 
ADMIN

Jessica Ridgeway case: Prosecutors file 17 charges against suspected killer Austin Reed Sigg
Posted: 8:55 AM
By: Thomas Hendrick and Amanda Kost, 7NEWS

GOLDEN, Colo. - The teenager accused in the kidnapping and murder of Jessica Ridgeway has been charged with 17 different counts including felony murder, kidnapping and sexual assault.

Austin Sigg, 17, made his first court appearance in Jefferson County court Tuesday morning.

He was charged as an adult in the case.

Sigg faces a total of 11 charges directly related to Jessica Ridgeway's death. They include: four counts of murder in the first degree, two counts of second-degree kidnapping, robbery and sexual assault on a child.

One of the murder counts is described as after deliberation. The kidnapping and sexual assault charges are each accompanied by a crime of violence sentence enhancer.

An additional six charges were also issued against Sigg relating to an attempted kidnapping of a 22-year-old woman in Ketner Lake on May 28.

In the Ketner Lake case, Sigg is charged with attempted murder in the first degree, attempted sexual assault and attempted second-degree kidnapping. Each of those is also accompanied by a crime of violence sentence enhancer.

7NEWS Reporter Amanda Kost said a shackled Sigg was accompanied by as many as eleven guards inside the Golden courtroom.

Sigg didn't speak during the hearing and didn't look at his relatives.

Also inside the courtroom were eight members of Jessica's family, including her mother. Each wore some shade of purple, Jessica's favorite color.

...more at link
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/j ... -reed-sigg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 pm 
ADMIN

Defense team wants Sigg tried as a juvenile
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:46 pm | Updated: 6:40 pm, Tue Nov 6, 2012.
Ashley Reimers

A new Colorado legal procedure will be put to the test in one of the most high-profile juvenile cases to hit the state.

Through this particular procedure Austin Sigg, the 17-year-old defendant in the murder of Jessica Ridgeway, could end up being tried in juvenile court, rather than adult court.

Jefferson County District Attorney Scott Storey filed for Sigg to be tried as an adult in the case.

But during a hearing on Oct. 30, Sigg’s defense team said they intend to file a motion for a reverse transfer hearing.

This legal procedure, allowed under House Bill 1271, would require the prosecution to make a case as to why Sigg should not be tried in juvenile court.

The defense team would also have the opportunity to present evidence supporting why Sigg should be tried in juvenile court. Judicial District Chief Judge Stephen Munsinger, will make the final decision.

Sigg remains in juvenile detention. The next hearing, a status conference, is set for 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 27.

...more at link
http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/arvada/n ... 77862.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:31 pm 

Anybody know what happened in the 27 Nov hearing?

This fellow needs to be locked up forever. I have no doubt whatsoever that he cannot be "rehabilitated" and would murder again. Very very sad for his mother.

"Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour." Leviticus 19:15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next