It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: U.S. Civil War
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:13 am 

http://www.nps.gov/ande/planyourvisit/n ... museum.htm

Post subject: Re: U.S. Civil War
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:20 am 

this is why I loved living in VA, so much about civil wars there, always something new to see and learn...
we have places here in MS, but so much more to see up there...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:13 pm 

Oh I bet! I'd need multiple trips for Virginia. I really want to do a coupke days/nights in Gettysburg. The ghost walks especially.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:02 am 

Stay tuned for a review of the Drummer Boy Museum in Andersonville. A hidden gem. I was able to talk with curator for an hour and a half. I love speaking with peoe who know their stuff and she did!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:24 am 

HiramAbiff wrote:
Stay tuned for a review of the Drummer Boy Museum in Andersonville. A hidden gem. I was able to talk with curator for an hour and a half. I love speaking with peoe who know their stuff and she did!

Looking forward to it...we love local museums cuz they are usually staffed by volunteers who are either subject buffs or direct descendants of family's who donated items.

Spent the day watching Blue & Gray with hubby. Blows me away to spend Sunday of Memorial Day w/e every year watching another snippet or aspect of what occurred 100 years before I was born. Perhaps the 100 year bit is part of the allure.

It's easy to forget that Arlington Cemetary was General Lee's Property forfeited in the surrender...though not in this series seeing the Appomatox Court House scene is a reminder. As kids we took class trips to Gettysburg and my brother lives near the Appomatox courthouse now...somehow our poured concrete basement walls seem so sterile vs the house we grew up in...it was part of the little known Eastern Seaboard Underground Railroad thru the Catskills and into Canada via 1000 Islands.

Tomorrow at Noon we'll post our new flag to honor all those who gave their lives to ensure our way of life.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 am 

I wish I could upload photos here, that museum had piece of wood from the Appomattox Courthouse on display.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:53 pm 

hand hewn planks are pretty cool huh?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:27 pm 

Anything handmade is cool to me. I am in awe of what people did with wood, metal, material, etc...before automation.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:55 pm 

I come from a long line of artisans. The one thing I cry over losing thru the years is a brass pin my grandmother passed onto me.

It was a center circle with two flares. It was carved with two doves in the center, side crests awaiting battle by my great x4 grandfather for his intended. He carried it home to his 'hobby room' and soldered a pin & 3/4 loop that wasn't very secure 120 years later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:46 pm 

11-hour Documentary begins tonight at 9:00PM ET on PBS (two-hour epsode).

Ken Burns’s ‘Civil War’ After Dylann Roof

By Christopher | The Daily Beast | September 6, 2015

In October 1862, the photographer Mathew Brady opened an exhibition in his New York studio called “The Dead of Antietam.” In it he presented nearly 100 images of the Civil War battlefield that saw what was, up to that time, the bloodiest confrontation ever fought on American soil. In one day, more than 20,000 men had been killed, wounded, or gone missing.

Brady’s assistants, Alexander Gardner and James Gibson, arrived soon after the fighting was over and turned their lenses on the corpses of the Union and Confederate soldiers, capturing the grotesque reality of death in an age when people still imagined that war was a chivalrous affair. Here were the bodies piled on top of each other in “The Bloody Lane,” there were the bloated cadavers of Confederates, their pockets turned inside out by pillagers. One of the most memorable images was of a dead gray horse that looked as if it were resting, and only the caption informed the viewer that both the animal and the man riding it had been killed.

Eventually, most or all of these photographs were available for purchase as “stereo cards” which could be looked at through special lenses until the full depth and horror of the sepia images leaped out at the viewers. The cameras used by Brady’s team, you see, recorded the American Civil War in 3-D.

Filmmaker Ken Burns used a great many of those gruesome pictures from Antietam and the many other battles fought between 1861 and 1865 in his monumental 11-hour documentary film series, “The Civil War,” first broadcast 25 years ago. Now, to mark the silver anniversary of that momentous television event, PBS will rebroadcast it over the course of five consecutive nights, beginning on Labor Day, and in a never-before-seen high-definition version that should be almost as vivid as Brady’s stereo cards.
[...]
After a young loser named Dylann Roof walked into a prayer service at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church and allegedly murdered nine innocent people for no other reason than that they were black and he saw himself in the sick tradition of Confederate-flag-waving white supremacists, comfortable perceptions of the Civil War and its legacy began to change, and very quickly.

More at link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/06/ken-burns-s-civil-war-after-dylann-roof.html