It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:55 pm 
ADMIN

P. Kenneth Burns
BREAKING: Arguments on whether Porter has to testify in #GoodsonTrial scheduled for March 4 in Court of Special Appeals #Baltimore @npr

1 page pdf
http://mdcourts.gov/cosappeals/pdfs/goo ... 5order.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:07 pm 
ADMIN

Doesn't it make you shudder to think these people try other cases, not in the public spot-light and presumably act in the same shonky, corrupt way. Spare a thought for all the other people who suffer corrupt prosecution and activist judges.

Just think.. Bernie (BDLR) has likely stuffed up the lives of many people since GZ and is still at it as I type!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:01 pm 
ADMIN

Brian Kuebler (Verified account)
Court of Spec Appeals sched could mean big delays. While MD law says decision in 3 mos, many attys wait much longer 4 rulings #GoodsonTrial

Once ruling is made in Court of Spec. Appeals, takes 30 more days for the 'mandate,' which is official evidence of the ruling. #GoodsonTrial

Once Mandate from Court of Spec. Appeals is published, only then can losing party appeal 2 highest state court within 15 days. #GoodsonTrial

It sure dont look like they are going to get this done in a hurry?

Mosby should Welease Porter, Goodson, White, Miller, Nero, Rice!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 am 

Mosby proudly building a case on quicksand.

And yes Rumpole it is very scary and sobering that these folks try people and deprive them of their lives and liberties away from the spotlight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:09 pm 

Slow minds end up in quick sands!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:28 pm 
ADMIN

Goodson, White Attorneys Weigh In On Trial Delay
Thursday, January 14, 2016
Robert Lang, WBAL NewsRadio 1090

We are learning more this morning about how the attorneys for Officer Caesar Goodson feel about the delay in his trial.

In papers filed Monday, but posted online last night on the Court's website, the attorneys for Officer Caesar Goodson argue delaying the trial denies Goodson's right to a speedy trial.

The attorneys also and the state has not proven its case that Officer William Porter would testify, or that he would provide the evidence needed to be considered a material witness.

The papers were in response to the prosecution's motion for a continuance in the trial.

On Monday, Judge Barry Williams called that motion filed by the prosecution "moot," since the Court of Special Appeals that ordered Goodson's trial be delayed, so it can consider whether Porter should be ordered to testify.

The Court of Special Appeals has scheduled a hearing on this issue on March 4, and will make a decision after that.

...more at link
http://www.wbal.com/article/136253/3/go ... rial-delay

Goodson Motion: Opposition to State's Motionn for Continuance
http://www.baltocts.state.md.us/highlig ... 011116.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:36 pm 

I thought I understood all this, up until now. :roll

( I'm trying to "keep up" as you say, Rumpole. :) )

I don't understand how Goodson's attorneys can file the motion to deny delay, since the Court of Special Appeals is in process of ruling, and actually halted the trial. Maybe the motion was (required) in response to Prosecution's earlier motion that Judge Williams said is now moot.

My favorite footnote in the motion.

"The State's decision to charge Officer Goodson with seven crimes, including second degree murder, based solely on the testimony of an individual it has publicly called a liar is a decision it chose to make and will have live with."

I see this all going downhill from here on out ... for the Prosecution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:49 pm 
ADMIN

Nice try Molly.... keeping up ok. :)

I assume that Trial business has to proceed.. at least filing motions etc.. even though any decisions are "paused" The state of affairs are no different now than after indictment, before trial date is set. I further assume that the State could apply to proceed with trial (or drop charges) if they "get over" the fact they can not call Porter as a witness. The Court of appeal decision is only in regard to one witness, the trial is good to go apart from that, regardless of decision. IF appeal excluded Porter from testifying.. then I guess this malicious prosecution will still try Goodson.. though they SHOULD maybe drop the charges if that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:38 pm 
ADMIN

Brian Kuebler (Verified account)
New filings in #FreddieGray death cases indicate state may call Ofc Porter in all cases, not just #GoodsonTrial. Could halt every case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:15 pm 

In your opinion, might it be a way to muddy the waters in order to hide their incompetence?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 pm 

I don't know about Rumpole's opinion but IMO it is a stall tactic to find a way to buy jurors, or fix this nonsense witch hunt of a trial to some way save face.

That said if Mosby can find a way out of this she will take it she is going to lose every case if they are tried fairly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:38 pm 
ADMIN

boyntonstu wrote:
In your opinion, might it be a way to muddy the waters in order to hide their incompetence?
Not sure whose incompetence you are referring to? NOT defense lawyers?

There is incompetence aplenty in the prosecution's charges.

I think that progress will be slow, maybe stall altogether, since the combined 6 cases are poorly framed and ridiculously over charged.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:25 pm 
ADMIN

Small reality check

1. IMO a cop SHOULD NOT get in the back of a cop van like that to put set-belt on a perp.. especially an agitated perp.
(Does not apply here but that goes DOUBLE if there are more than 1 perp)
IMO it should be a disciplinary offense if an officer is silly enough to do that.. he puts himself and the public at risk since a perp may well be able to get possession of his gun, taser etc.
2. Freddie Gray did NOT die in the van.. he died days later in hospital. There was treatment at police station, a trip in ambulance and all manner of treatment at hospital which could have (with all best intentions in the world) been a factor in his death.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:00 pm 
ADMIN

Bump..... this trial is next cab off the rank...

Officer Caesar Goodson.. June 6

2 trials down... 4(5) to go.

Great results so far.....

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:11 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Small reality check

GREAT points, Rumpole! I either missed this or forgot about it. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:01 am 
ADMIN

I read the #Freddiegray twitter feed... but of course can not answer any of the ignorant black racist tweets :doh

It is ridiculous to talk of "murder". NOBODY "murdered" Freddie Gray. I have already said that I DO NOT think a cop should even try and fasten a seat-belt in the back of a van, and I certainly do not regard failure to fasten a seat-belt as a crime.
Beyond "not fastening a seat-belt"... NOBODY did any harm to Freddie Gray.

Rational thought (common sense) should alert a person to the fact that IF you stand up (especially if handcuffed) in a steel box on the back of a moving vehicle there is a VERY good chance of falling over and injuring YOURSELF!! If more than just standing up, you start throwing yourself about (as Gray did) then there is close to a CERTAINTY that you WILL injure yourself... and likely seriously.. a fatal injury is very possible. Freddie Gray's own daft actions should be regarded as a "cautionary tale" by other thugs and Dindus that regularly find themselves in the back of police prisoner transport vans.

Rumpole's tip to Dindus:
When you have been placed in the back of a paddy wagon...STFU and sit quietly while the van is in transit. When the van arrives, comes to a halt, and the doors are opened by the nice policeman, move to exit and mind your head on the top of the doorway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:38 pm 
ADMIN

Officer Goodson, van driver in Freddie Gray case, challenges key evidence ahead of trial
Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun

Officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr., the next Baltimore police officer scheduled to stand trial in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray, has challenged the admissibility of key evidence in the state's case against him — including portions of Gray's autopsy and a disputed statement by a fellow officer that Gray said, "I can't breathe," while he was in their custody.

Goodson, the driver of the transport van in which prosecutors say Gray suffered a fatal spinal injury, faces the most serious charges in the case, including second-degree depraved heart murder. It carries a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.

He also faces manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct-in-office charges.

Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams has scheduled a pretrial hearing Monday to consider Goodson's motions and others filed in the case, the court said Wednesday. Goodson's trial is set to begin Tuesday with jury selection.

...more at link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
I read the #Freddiegray twitter feed... but of course can not answer any of the ignorant black racist tweets :doh

Excellent! I hope you will post this at CTH in the next Baltimore post that comes up.

I love the pro tip. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:40 pm 
ADMIN

THX, Molly.

This trial is critical IMO. The driver was to some extent responsible for the safe custody of a prisoner, he is the only defendant that maybe should have had some (minor) charges to answer..... but I stress i can not see that he did ANYTHING wrong. If he gets acquitted it makes a nonsense of the other lesser player cases. They should dismiss all the rest of the cases if Godson is acquitted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:10 pm 
ADMIN

Van Driver Charged In Freddie Gray’s Death Heads To Trial Monday
June 2, 2016 7:45 PM By Mike Hellgren

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The officer facing the most serious charges in Freddie Gray’s death heads to trial just days from now. It could be the pivotal case.

The van driver, Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., is facing more than 30 years behind bars for second-degree depraved heart murder.

WJZ Investigator Mike Hellgren has more on what to expect.

A huge fight over what evidence the jury can hear will start on Monday. Unlike the last trial for Officer Edward Nero, this one will focus more on medical evidence and whether Freddie Gray pleaded for help inside the van.

Prosecutors have placed primary responsibility for Freddie Gray’s death on Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., who drove the transport van. Among the charges he faces: second-degree depraved heart murder, second-degree assault manslaughter and misconduct in office.

Legal analyst Adam Ruther says the state is again using a unique legal theory.

“Officer Goodson is being charged for failing to do something that the state claims he had a duty to do, which is to get Freddie Gray the medical attention that he was asking for,” said Ruther.

...more at link
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/06/0 ... ial-monday

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next