It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:43 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
I take your point, boyntonstu, but in the context of what this ME is trying to PUSH... she is implying it was "homicide" (caused by a person other than Freddie himself.. she is ruling out an "accident" that Freddie caused to himself... which amounts to "suicide" (we presume unintentional) as opposed to her interpretation of "homicide"

'This was not an accident,' is what I was focusing on.

I agree with you, you are correct in your assessment about the ME PUSH.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:16 pm 
ADMIN

Officer Caesar Goodson trial day 3: What you need to know

What is happening today?
  • Baltimore police Officer William Porter testified. He said there was no indication that Freddie Gray required immediate medical attention while being transported in the back of an arrest van, but he acknowledged that officers could have safely secured the 25-year-old detainee with a seat belt.
  • Porter is the second officer charged in the case to be called to testify against a fellow officer with his own charges pending — a rare move allowed after a review by the state's highest court.
  • Porter said on the stand Monday that he told Goodson that Gray should be taken to a hospital. But he also said he never observed any serious injury to Gray. After the van's fourth stop — a time when the medical examiner has determined Gray was already seriously injured — Porter said, Gray used his legs to support his weight as Porter helped him up.
  • Prosecutors have previously accused Porter of lying, and on Monday played clips of Porter's original statement to investigators to show that his account has changed. Porter said he had merely clarified his original comments and that there was no fundamental change in his account.

...more at link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:52 pm 
ADMIN

Freddie Gray case: Officer Porter testifies in trial of Officer Goodson
Justin Fenton and Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Police Officer William Porter maintained Monday that he saw no indication that Freddie Gray required immediate medical attention while being transported in the back of an arrest van, but he admitted officers could have put a seat belt on the 25-year-old detainee.

Porter was called as a state witness on the third day of testimony at the trial of Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., who was the driver of the van in which Gray was injured and faces second-degree murder, three counts of manslaughter and related charges.

Prosecutors have said that officers callously neglected Gray by not restraining him with a seat belt, as required by Police Department rules. Porter, who is also charged in the case, testified that Gray was not combative -- even docile -- as he requested help during a later stop of the van.

"Did you have the opportunity to seat belt him?" Deputy Chief State's Attorney Michael Schatzow asked Porter.

The officer paused before responding: "I guess so."

...more at link

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 pm 

Interesting day of testimony. Sounds like Porter did not contribute anything for the Prosecution and was able to explain the discrepancy of his own trial testimony versus his favorable testimony for Goodson today. Gray was face down on the floor at one stop, guessing, because this is when he tried to injury himself prior to the stop.

"Porter said, Gray used his legs to support his weight as Porter helped him up."

Looking forward to Donta Allen's testimony.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:50 pm 
ADMIN

Officer Caesar Goodson trial day 4: What you need to know

What happened Tuesday?
  • Detective Michael Boyd reconstructed the route of the police van carrying Freddie Gray by using surveillance footage and his own memory. He told Officer Caesar Goodson’s attorney that he did not see any evidence that Goodson made abrupt stops, starts or turns while transporting Gray.
  • Six witnesses — including Boyd — took the stand for the prosecution Tuesday. Crime lab technician Thomas Wisner, serologist Virginia Cates and DNA analyst Thomas Hebert were called to establish that Gray's blood was found in the back of the van.
  • Stacey Lyles-Foster, the acting warden of the Central Booking and Intake Facility in Baltimore, testified that detainees brought to the facility by police van are given quick medical assessments, and rejected if medical personnel there do not believe the detainee would be able to "withstand" the 24-hour booking process before receiving care. She testified that 612 detainees were rejected in 2014 of 42,852 brought to the facility. In 2015, she said, 619 of 32,782 individuals were rejected. On cross examination, Lyles-Foster said Gray had been rejected at the facility for medical reasons in December 2014. She said medical personnel believed he was having a possible overdose.
  • After the midday break, the defense was allowed to call two medical experts who questioned the autopsy finding that Gray’s death was a homicide. Dr. Jonathan Arden, former medical examiner and current forensic pathology consultant, said he did not believe Gray was injured until the final leg of the van transport — after Goodson and other officers had checked on him multiple times. Dr. Joel Winer, a neurosurgery expert, testified that Gray's injury "isn't something that occurs through evolution," but would have been immediate — leaving Gray "floppy like a dish rag or a jellyfish" and unable to sit up, as Porter has testified he did at the fourth and fifth stops.

...more at link

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:51 pm 
ADMIN

Brian Kuebler (Verified account)@BrianfromABC2
Arden also said #FreddieGray sustained blunt neck trauma between stops 5 and 6. #GoodsonTrial

Defense expert said #FreddieGray injuries were "fresh" at stop 6 citing body fluids that accompany being paralyzed.

Arden maintained the injury to #FreddieGray was an "immediate and catastrophic event" #GoodsonTrial

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm 
ADMIN

Officer Caesar Goodson trial day 5: What you need to know

What happened Wednesday?
  • The state concluded its presentation after calling 21 witnesses over the course of five days.
  • The defense then filed a motion for acquittal, arguing there is not enough evidence for the case to go forward. Circuit Judge Barry Williams, who Goodson chose to decide his fate instead of a jury, will decide that motion Thursday morning before the defense begins its case.
  • Wednesday’s testimony featured two witnesses: the medic who responded to treat Gray when he was found not breathing at the Western District police station, and Neill Franklin, a retired state trooper who once oversaw training for the Baltimore Police Department. Franklin was called to testify about “retaliatory prisoner transportation practices” and police training.
  • Prosecutors suffered a setback Wednesday morning when Williams ruled that he would allow into evidence a police detective’s notes from an April 2015 meeting with Dr. Carol Allan, the medical examiner who performed Gray’s autopsy. The notes suggest that Allan was considering ruling Gray’s death an “accident” instead of a “homicide,” a claim which Allan said was untrue during her testimony in the case last week.

...more at link
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... ay/trials/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:33 pm 
ADMIN

News & Talk WAOK (Verified account)@WAOK
Prosecution Rests In Goodson Trial; Judge to Rule On Acquittal Motion http://cbsloc.al/1Xqfpcf #FreddieGray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:44 pm 
ADMIN

Freddie Gray case: Prosecutors turn over additional evidence during trial of Officer Caesar Goodson
Kevin Rector and Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun

Evidence disclosed for the first time Wednesday in the trial of Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., the van driver charged with second-degree murder in the death of Freddie Gray, suggests that the doctor performing Gray's autopsy at one point intended to rule his death an accident.

Assistant medical examiner Dr. Carol Allan ultimately ruled the death a homicide. She has stood by that ruling during Goodson's trial, testifying that she never felt Gray's death was an accident.

"The word 'accident' never crossed my lips to anyone, other than to say, 'This is not an accident,'" she said on the stand last week.

But the new evidence shows that, at a meeting last year, a police investigator noted that Allan suggested at one point that Gray's death was an accident.

Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams ruled Wednesday that the new evidence could be introduced at trial, despite being inadmissible on its face. He's allowing it in an effort by the court to "fashion a remedy" for the fact that the prosecution -- and the police, as an extension of the state -- had not turned over some evidence during discovery.

Allan's ruling that Gray's death was a homicide has served as part of the basis for the prosecution's charges against Goodson and five other Baltimore police officers in the case.

Gray, 25, suffered a fatal injury while being transported in the back of a police van on April 12, 2015, and died a week later.

Williams last week ordered prosecutors to go back to their case files and search for any evidence they had not yet disclosed to the defense. That followed Williams' finding that prosecutors had violated discovery rules by not disclosing information about another witness in the case.

....more at link

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 pm 

:eek

But the new evidence shows that, at a meeting last year, a police investigator noted that Allan suggested at one point that Gray's death was an accident.

The most damning at this point.

I hope when Ofc. Goodson is acquitted, he files a lawsuit also.

I'm reading today's testimony on the website. Trying to find something I saw earlier in the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:13 pm 
ADMIN

Nasty.. dishonest Prosecutors seem to be the norm.... Mosby and Angela Corey(and her dog BDLR) come to mind.... but even they are outdone for shear personal nastiness when you look at Gerrie Nel in the Pistorius case.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:47 pm 

@NeillFranklin was the State's afternoon witness, their "rough ride" expert, officially called to testify to 'retaliatory prisoner transportation practices'.

I'm highlighting reporters Justin Fenton, Kevin Rector's comments at Baltimore Sun website.
Go to link for more of today's testimony: http://live.baltimoresun.com/Event/Offi ... e_2?Page=6

--------------------------------------
Franklin was not asked by state if Gray actually got a rough ride. Wasn't shown video or asked about video of the van's trip.

Franklin just suggested under def questions that Gray was hurt on street, which is not in evidence and not state contention.

Wow. This cross examination of rough ride expert is...um... not going well for the prosecution.

Fraling: In review of CCTV, see any unexpected acceleration?
Franklin: No.
Fraling: Deceleration?
Fraling: Turn?

Fraling: In your expert opinion, did Goodson give Gray a rough ride?
Franklin: "I can't say for sure."

Fraling asked Franklin if in his review of CCTV, he saw evidence of unexpected starts, stops, turns. "I did not,"Franklin said

"It's not your contention that Ofcr Goodson in any way engaged in a rough ride?"
"I can't say for sure."

Fraling: What's a 10-15?
Franklin: IDK
Fraling, 1 eyebrow up: "Aren't you testifying as an expert on general orders..policies & procedures?"

(Kevin Rector: A 10-15, by the way, is police code for a request for a wagon. A bunch of the attorneys for the other officers were in the courtroom watching this all go down. They looked... pleased.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:46 pm 
ADMIN

DAY 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:49 pm 
ADMIN

Mike Hellgren (Verified account)@HellgrenWJZ
Next #GoodsonTrial witness: Donta Allen, detainee in Van with #FreddieGray @cbsbaltimore

I hope defense get the POS witness to tells the truth... the version before he remembered "Snitches get Stitches"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:20 pm 
ADMIN

Justin Fenton (Verified account)@justin_fenton
Allen, who is currently serving 10 yrs in prison, takes stand in blue jumpsuit, handcuffs. Says he doesn't remember anything frm 4/12/15

"I dont recall anything from that day." Def asks him to look at transcript of his police interview to refresh memory. "I dont know nothing"

Back to Donta Allen. Because he said he didn't remember anything, the video of his interview with police is being played..

You can read the transcript of Allen's interview here. Starts at page 13: http://tinyurl.com/zl4egyp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:53 pm 
ADMIN

I have not heard anybody make the OBVIOUS point....

IF this was a "rough ride" damaging/killing van passengers... how come Donta was NOT affected?

Donta Allen did not suffer even a bruise... he survived to have his day in court and get locked up in prison where he belongs. Freddie COULD have done the same only he CHOSE to throw himself about and damage himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:19 pm 
ADMIN

Justin Fenton (Verified account)@justin_fenton
Allen wouldn't answer any of defense questions, but perked up and answered prosecution cross..

Allen crossed by prosecutor Bledsoe, whose partner is the TV reporter who did an interview where Allen recanted his police statement

Allan says in court that he doesn't know if Gray was banging his head - couldn't see - but it was "loud enough" to hear #GoodsonTrial

#GoodsonTrial Court is done for the day. Defense has NOT rested. Donta Allen testimony done

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:52 pm 

I forgot that Bledsoe has a partner who was a reporter (involved). Ah ha!

This is lead detective Taylor who testified today. She "dropped a dime" on Bledsoe that caused the prosecution misconduct hearings last week. Taylor was in the meeting with ME at the time ME said death was an accident, made notes, submitted them to Bledsoe and they weren't turned over as evidence (until yesterday).

She was appointed to the case, after the lead detective took a medical leave. Prosecutors tried to get her off the case, but they don't have the authority.

In testimony today, chief prosecutor accused Taylor of "sabotaging" their case. (I guess by her telling the truth.) Taylor said Bledsoe lacked integrity and the ME lied. :eek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:57 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
I have not heard anybody make the OBVIOUS point....

IF this was a "rough ride" damaging/killing van passengers... how come Donta was NOT affected?

This is so true! It should be the main point in closing arguments.

You should be a foreign consultant for the defense attorneys, Rumpole. Seriously, straight face.

;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:44 pm 

A good summary write-up on today's testimony and more. Frailing must have kids who ask "Why?" a lot. ;)

Donta Allen Testifies, Claims Forgetfulness In Sixth Day Of Goodson Trial
By Robert Lang | WBAL NewsRadio 109 | June 16, 2016

5:45 p.m.

Donta Allen told defense attorney Matt Fraling in redirect he was in fact under the influence of Xanax and heroin when he gave his statement to police, and lied at the time about his substance use.

Fraling asked Allen to read some of that statement to police. He read potrions where he told police about the banging he heard from the other side of the van. At one point, Allen asked why he was being told to read it aloud.

"Because I said so," Fraling said, to prosecutors' objection.

Judge Barry Williams then admonished Fraling to ask another question, and it was after that that Allen made the admission about his drug use on the day he spoke with police.

More at link: http://www.wbal.com/article/170972/2/go ... prosecutor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next