It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:13 pm 
ADMIN

Freddie Gray Cops Charges – Justice or Political Theater?
Posted by Andrew Branca Friday, May 1, 2015 at 3:15pm

Prosecutor so far discloses little evidence in support of charges.

The announcement today by Maryland state’s attorney for Baltimore, Marilyn J. Mosby of numerous charges brought against the six officers purportedly involved in the death of Freddie Gray is rich in political theater and shockingly lacking in evidence of criminal malfeasance.

A solid foundation for this having been a partisan political, rather than reasoned legal, decision is laid out succinctly by the counsel for the Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police who noted:

While I have the utmost respect for you and your office, I have very deep concerns about the many conflicts of interest presented by your office conducting an investigation in this case . . . . These conflicts include your personal and professional relationship with Gray family attorney, William Murphy and the lead prosecutor’s connections with members of the local media. . . . Most importantly, it is clear that your husband’s political future will be directly impacted, for better or worse, by the outcome of your investigation. . . . In order to avoid any appearance of impropriety or a violation of the Professional Rules of Professional Responsibility, I ask that you appoint a Special Prosecutor to determine whether or not any charges should be filed.

...more at link
http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/05/fr ... l-theater/

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 pm 

Anyone else get the idea Mosby was addressing a commencement audience? Like the charges were a graduation!

This is your day... Blah blah blah to protestors

OTH hearing the concurrent investigation including 12-14 hour days may be reassuring to the BGI she is appeasing but it offends a place deep inside me to know this is another case that jumped to the head of the line as waiting investigations. How many victims of suspects known or unknown without the same ties to community as these suspended cops have had their justice delayed which is justice denied.

The presser this morning on top of the Mayor promising that three women would get justice...yeah this whole thing is intentionally being handled to inflame and incite civil unrest in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:30 pm 
ADMIN

Five of the six officers are in custody, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said later.

What happened to 6th one?

Poor sods..

I assume each individual will have a separate trial?

A bond hearing?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:40 pm 
ADMIN

The Charges

Officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr.(Van Driver) - Second-degree murder, the most serious crime facing the six officers; he was also accused of manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office.

Lt. Brian W. Rice - manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment.

Officer William G. Porter - manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office

Sgt. Alicia D. White - manslaughter, assault and misconduct in office

Officer Edward M. Nero - assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment

Officer Garrett E. Miller - assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:43 pm 

Theater at it's finest. I do question her charging all 6 officers. How many are AA and how many are white? Did she charge all six because she didn't want the "protesters" mad at her if she didn't charge the white officers?

Still to many questions and not enough answers :wall

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:24 pm 
ADMIN

It looks like 3 of each... 3 AA and 3 NOT AA :roll

See Court info thread.........

BALTIMORE COURT DOCKETS ETC (NO DISCUSSION)
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=1399

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 pm 
ADMIN

The Baltimore Six – Three Black, Three White, Officers – Detail Charges and Bail Information….
Posted on May 1, 2015 by sundance

Alan Dershowitz responds to Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby saying her decision was entirely based on politics and “crowd control.”

Dershowitz said “this is a very sad day for justice” and that Mosby acted out of a “desire to prevent riots.” It will be “virtually impossible,” he predicted, for the six officers involved to get a fair trial.

Malzberg | Dershowitz - A Sad Day for Justice Motivated by Crowd Control, Any Conviction Unlikely

And as for murder charges, Dershowitz said there’s “no plausible, hypothetical, conceivable case for murder” and “this is a show trial.” He predicted that Mosby might get removed as prosecutor and Baltimore citizens may get upset if and/or when they “move to a place with a different demographic.”

...more at link
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/201 ... formation/

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 pm 
ADMIN

From CTH....

Quote:
BobNoxious says:
May 1, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I keep watching and hearing clips from the presser and all I hear at most is some type of “failure to render aid” (which is questionable as a crime depending on jurisdiction) and/or failure to follow dept. policies type accusations- all things that sound more civil in nature; not criminal.

But the most important thing the officers have going for them is the CLAIMS OF THE OTHER PRISONER who has repeatedly said in MULTIPLE TV interviews that he HEARD Gray BANGING himself into the cage. That testimony is going to be key.

Furthermore, in order to make a successful prosecution on many of these counts (assuming she sticks w/ them) then she is going to need several officers to roll over and deal- without it she has very, very hard case (it’s already hard so maybe I should say impossible). If these cops stick together then this whole thing could blow up.

Finally, even the cop hating CNN critics like Toobin, et al., are subtly acknowledging that this prosecutor may have over charged and over played her hand. Sunny, of course, will have none of it, but we all now she is a hack. Gerigos (sp) was on saying the rhetoric from the SA at the presser was very unprofessional and she may have bit off more than she could chew.

I foolishly predicted that no charges would be brought yesterday (although I did point out w/ Baltimore you can never say never) and while I’ve learned my lesson, I still say these charges are baseless and this is an outrage. Think about this- you go t work as a cop and come home charged with murder b/c the idiot you had to take back to the WD decided to thrash around like an idiot in the wagon… and the activist SA wants to appease a mob… That’s scary and would have anyone questioning why on earth they bother putting on that uniform every day.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:08 pm 

The best of my understanding so far, Mosby is claiming that paramedics should have been called at the very least for Gray when Officer White was called in to give a second opinion as to Gray’s health.

What was Gray’s status at that point in transit? Was he asking for an inhaler? Was he unresponsive? If he was unresponsive then clearly the officers present for that evaluation are negligent. Is there anything offered for us on the outside to know what Gray’s health status was at that moment?

Well actually yes one thing. Gray’s paddy wagon mate, Donte Allen, gave an “ear witness” account that Gray was banging about to such an extent that Allen thought Gray was trying to harm himself. Now if Gray was as active as Allen’s words would imply then Gray was not unresponsive during the “wellness” check.

So either all the officers are lying, and Allen either gave a false statement about Gray or the Washington Post article was completely erroneous.

Allen has freedom to lie to every reporter who asks what Allen heard and it is in Allen’s best interest to do so. Self preservation is a powerful motivator. So what did Allen hear? What is the documented evidence of what Allen heard?

The second point; Officer’s broke police procedure by not buckling Gray in, there really is no getting around this one, it will amount to negligence but it cannot be deemed a malicious act. They are looking for a peg to hang their hat on and failure to follow procedure set into the rules 9 days before Gray’s arrest is that peg.

Was the arrest legally sound. I guess that is going to depend on the knife, but again we are not privy to all the information. If Gray was carrying a legal knife, and he ran from the police even if he was in the midst of an alleged drug transaction. What matters as to the law is what is on the paper for the reason for the arrest. They can’t retroactively charge Gray with something.

The driver seemed to take a very long route to get Gray to jail. There are a lot of charges and a lot of defendants, the sister of the driver (Goodman) has already tried to cast blame on the arresting officers.

If there is more to the story than a freak accident by an irate prisoner slamming himself about in the back of a paddy wagon until he fatally damaged himself, there is going to be a deal cut and it will be sooner rather than later with one of the officers who has the least serious charges. I believe the hope of cooperation of one of the lesser charged officers is the reason for all the “lesser” charges. (Other than it made Mosby feel good to charge the officers and to appease the thugs).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:48 pm 
ADMIN

From CTH....

Quote:
A Thinker says:
May 1, 2015 at 10:35 pm

I think one point that hasn’t been noted yet is that there were two phases to this situation, before he went in the van, and after he went in the van. Its becoming more important here, because the three black officers were involved in the “after he went into the van” conduct, and the three white officers were involved in the before he went into the van conduct. The ME’s report apparently states that the broken neck was the result of sliding around in the van, not because of any purported police take down by the white officers. Mosby did her best to treat this whole thing as though they were all involved, all the time, which doesn’t appear true from what we know.
Why this is important is that the charges against the first three cops are the weakest. Her whole argument (and its her opinion, not fact), was that the arrest was “illegal.” That’s a hard hurdle to get over, especially as compared to unlawful. Unlawful is a mistake was made (the “spring assisted” knife wasn’t legal, when it really was, and I noted earlier the disputes over the definitions), its not criminal conduct on the part of the officers. To be illegal, they had to knowingly and intentionally falsely arrest Freddie. Nobody has tried to even make this argument yet, although they’re doing their best to present Rice as a mad man.
This is a key here to demonstrating that the prosecution of those three is out in left field, i.e., she charged to appease the masses, not because they actually committed a crime. Why would she do that? Because otherwise, she would have only been charging black officers, hence, no racism, and no reason for the fed to get involved.
It would be great if we could find out what the knife actually was, because if it actually was spring assisted, it was illegal in Baltimore, and the case against the three white officers goes out the window.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:07 pm 
ADMIN

Charge document Freddie Grey and switch-blade knife...

https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/26382 ... ode=scroll

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:23 pm 
ADMIN

Quote:
Les says:
May 1, 2015 at 10:33 pm

The knife from a different angle between 37 and 38 seconds on this video. I’m not smart enough to capture the image before the news station logo covers the knife.

Was Freddy Gray Murdered by Police?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:08 am 

Rumpole I think what the poster is referring to is a shadow (knife) kind of on an angle underneath the W in the WJZ logo. So your still shot is not broad enough to capture it. I can't tell what it is.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:39 am 
ADMIN

THX Carm :86

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to know... where to look!! :wall

FWIW... not a clear image.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:53 am 
ADMIN

DMan has some better images.....

Quote:
diwataman2014 says:
May 2, 2015 at 12:27 am

Looks like a white cell phone on top of what’s probably the knife, it’s not clear. The bike cop pick them up. Linked below is the best video I could find.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... video.html

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:56 am 
ADMIN

Love this comment.... :lol

Quote:
James F says:
May 2, 2015 at 12:33 am

Maybe the newest version of the obamaphone comes with a built in legal switchblade app.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:03 am 
ADMIN

I saw this on Fox... well worth watching again..

EXCLUSIVE: Friend of Charged Cops on Fox: Freddie Gray Was a ‘Great Witness’ for Us

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:16 am 
ADMIN

22-year-old arrested for damaging fire hose during Baltimore riots
Posted: May 01, 2015 12:31 PM
Updated: May 02, 2015 12:50 PM
By MyFoxDC.com Web Producer

BALTIMORE - Authorities have charged a 22-year-old man for intentionally puncturing a water supply hose while firefighters were battling a fire at a CVS store during the riots in Baltimore on Monday.

Greg Bailey was charged Friday with obstructing firefighting operations, malicious destruction of property and reckless endangerment.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said the suspect used a knife to stab holes in the pressure hose. Firefighters were forced to withdraw and had to reestablish a secondary water supply source.

Authorities say Bailey was already being detained at the Baltimore City Detention Center on unrelated charges.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office released two photos of the suspect on Thursday and were contacted by a Baltimore City Police officer after recognizing Bailey as a suspect from the images.

...more at link

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/28947774/2 ... more-riots

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:54 am 
ADMIN

Exclusive: Baltimore Officer With Inside Info On The Investigation - Hannity

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 am 
ADMIN

Article about Dr Fowler (ME)....

Chief Medical Examiner unflinching in face of death
Fowler doubles as scientist and counselor in statewide role
by Jeremy Arias | Staff Writer
Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2010

It was early in the fourth grade in his hometown of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, that Dr. David R. Fowler realized he wanted to work with corpses.

"My fourth-grade teacher was married to the local hospital's pathologist, and we took a tour of the lab for class that year," he said. "I think the amount of technology in that room and the challenge of the investigative side of medicine became evident to me."

...more at link
http://ww2.gazette.net/stories/09292010 ... _32553.php
The son of a World War II Royal Air Force meteorologist and a women's magazine spokeswoman, Fowler's early passion for science was ignited by the scene he saw in the pathologist's laboratory. He recalled always having been drawn to technology from his earliest experiments with small engines and electronics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 568 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next