It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:05 am 

Thanks Rumpole. I hope he is released and that he is a more measured man. I hope he makes good with the rest of his life and doesn't let his horrific mistake destroy his life.

I'm sure the shadow of the horror and regret of that morning, the smell and feel of Reeva's blood, the realization that it was her in the bathroom and not an intruder, the fact that he shot her to death, will haunt him every moment of his life in spite of what happiness he may experience.

Oscar took the a life, the life of someones daughter, that can never be erased from their hearts. That is a sorrow beyond anything anyone should have to endure. But the image of Reeva's death scorched in the minds of her parents by Nel and his zealous portrayal of Oscar as a raged filled mad man with Reeva cowering in dark toilet terrorized by her beloved, rather than intruders in the house which Oscar is trying to protect her from, sits squarely at the feet of Nel.

I have no words.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:34 am 

Parole Board Recommends Oscar Pistorius Be Released In August

Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic athlete who was sentenced to five years in prison over the death of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, is set to be released on parole in August.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... -in-august

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:09 pm 

Thanks, Carm :28 .. and then I found this.
Reeva Steenkamp's Parents Want Oscar Pistorius to Stay Behind Bars

ABC News | Jun 9, 2015, 7:31 AM ET
By Matt Gutman and Dan Good

The parents of Reeva Steenkamp believe their daughter's convicted killer, Olympic runner Oscar Pistorius, should remain behind bars.

The South African athlete is set to be released from prison on Aug. 21 for good behavior and placed under house arrest after spending 10 months in custody. He was convicted of culpable homicide in September for the Feb. 14, 2013 shooting death of Steenkamp, when Pistorius said he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder and fatally shot her through the bathroom door.

“We have forgiven Mr. Pistorius. ... However, a person found guilty of a crime must be accountable for their actions,” her family wrote to the parole board. “Incarceration of 10 months for taking a life is simply not enough.”

[...]
The terms of the house arrest aren’t known.

While Pistorius could soon be released, he still faces a sizable legal battle. Judge Thokozile Masipa had already granted prosecutors permission to go to the Supreme Court of Appeal, the second-highest court in South Africa, to appeal her decision to acquit Pistorius of murder at trial.

The appeal will now start sometime in November, Supreme Court registrar Paul Myburgh said on Monday.

...more at link
http://abcnews.go.com/International/reeva-steenkamps-parents-oscar-pistorius-stay-bars/story?id=31632197

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 pm 

My point of view :77

Hi Molly :77

It sure would be nice if there was some cosmic equalizer which would smack all those hateful people right in the face for forcing the Steemkamps to live with the scenario of their beloved Reeva’s last moments being those of absolute terror that a man she loved had turned into a mad man and was hunting her down to kill her in cold blood. Her death is horrible enough, her fear was horrible enough without the added chorus of those who would find domestic abuse and cold blooded murder when there is no evidence of it. Shame on each and and everyone who refuses to look at the facts but instead promotes their biased agenda.

Oscar overreacted, he killed Reeva because of that over reaction, Reeva's parents have every right to feel the way they do. I am in no position to tell them anything they lost their beloved because Oscar made a foolish mistake.

But IMO (and the courts) Oscar did not hunt Reeva down, it was a mistake, surely a mistake that 99.9% of people with a normal temperament would not have made, but Oscar, I do believe had a heightened sense of fear, he had a history of overreacting to noises in his home and he was legless when he first heard the noise that set the events of that horrible AM into motion. I think the judge got it right.

Sir Rumpole,

I just want to say thank you for not allowing this place to become a spot of perpetual dull sow fights. I decided to go over to WS just to take some pleasure in the inevitable ignorant :WW over justice being served but not the justice that they in their ignorance and self proclaimed omnipotence knew should have been meted out.

The goose steppers of course did not disappoint me :roll

But holy smokes, before the discussion of self indignation and gnashing of teeth about Osacar’s parole they were just cat fighting with each other about some minutia of the Pistorius case. I didn’t have the will to read the nonsense of their feud but it certainly did make me chuckle.

And as usual the dullest are still the most verbose. Seems some are hoping Oscar is not given a moments rest but is hounded by the press whenever he leaves his Uncles palatial mansion. All because they know what happened that AM after all they have proclaimed themselves "experts" :Gslap What a bunch of monsters.

There is one token voice of sanity there, ha! And just like me they are being accused of being a Pistorius mouth piece :Gslap , I’m sure they will soon be put in a time out chair :69 or maybe not now that they will have read that I have predicated their actions again :17

:63

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:50 pm 
ADMIN

Carm, I imagine if you are in the mood... the nastiness is so ignorant, it can be a source of entertainment.... provided you can control the urge to put them straight. It does no good, and has got ME into trouble in the past.

I imagine they still have high hopes for their champion, Nel? The "appeal" still working it's way thru the system.

At least their is some consistency in a nasty vindictive little shit being their champion.

I have less sympathy for the Steenkamps than you, Carm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:09 pm 

The mood struck, has been satisfied and is now gone, it was exactly what I would expect :roll

:28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:39 pm 

Carm, what is WS???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:49 pm 

and Carm I'm with you, I think he over acted, I really don't think he sat out to kill her...
he was just paranoid about someone getting him....

still a sad situation... :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:39 pm 

Hi Chiclad,

WS is Web Sleuths. It was a tangled path which brought me to Rumpoles :rose . WS is a web site that IMO a disgusting place, lots of bitter hateful folks who define confirmation bias, it is just really a bizarre place. Folks who proclaim that they are "victim advocates" yet "like" a post hoping Oscar was raped and contracted aids.

They all loved Judge Masipa until she actually interpreted the law in a way that didn't agree with their "expert analysis" and yes they really do consider themselves a den of experts, one of them was so arrogant as to say she should put a brass plaque outside her own door she knew so much about "SA Law" :Gslap . As best I can tell they all think they are smarter than the rest of the world, they are intellectually incurious and unmoved by facts that do not fit their own narrative, they let their emotions and biased poison their evaluation of evidence and facts.

Anyhow I was put in a time out chair for 2 months there :Gslap funny it was just enough time for the Oscar trial to be over :35 . I told them to piss off and delete my membership :69 My infraction? I posted facts about the Pistorius case and called them out on their bullshit. It didn't go very well :40 .

Example I would post : It seems that Judge Masipa will not give two of the ear witnesses much credence because they came forward 2 weeks after Reeva was killed and Oscar was already being portrayed as a monster.

Normal response from Team WS :WW :WW :WW you are dumb! You are ugly and are happy that Reeva is dead because you are jealous of her beauty :WW :WW . <<<That is not verbatim but it is close.

How do you have an intelligent conversation with a horde of dullards? You don't.

Then in Masipa's ruling she confirmed my suspicions so then Masipa was a dumb, jealous, senile, ugly, appointed only because of her race Pistorius puppet. :eek (Some even speculated that Masipa had a crush on Oscar :roll

It was actually quite a fascinating circus of abnormal folks to read.

Anyone who has posted with me for any amount of time knows that I am fascinated by personalities and there were a lot of fascinating people at WS.

:63

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:39 pm 

Carm :Gslap ,

I know you could hold your own at WS, but I am so happy that you are now here. :)

I went over yesterday to read after the Parole Board recommendation. I even signed in thinking I might say a word or two. :doh Don't know what I was thinking. I cannot believe that they allow the name calling and bickering to go on and on. Makes me appreciate RT that much more. :89

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:57 pm 

First Woo Hoo Hawks !!!

And yes it was just as I remembered it at WS :98 Lots of hissing and spitting.

It is yet to be seen what Oscar can do with his life once he is out of prison. I hope he allows himself some happiness. I wish there was something more I could hope for, but no amount of punishing Oscar, by society or himself, will bring Reeva back so the best to hope for is some bit of peace for the Steemkamps and that the self righteous mean spirited jackals not howl day and night at their door demanding that the Steemkamps live the rest of their lives in the bitterness of a lost chance at revenge.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:54 pm 

Here is an interesting article I found. The whole article is interesting and informative, but I found the part about his sentencing compared to others from similar situations the most enlightening.

Why parole for Oscar Pistorius is perfectly legitimate
June 23, 2015 12.43am EDT

Author
Kelly Phelps
Senior Lecturer in Criminal Justice at University of Cape Town

(excerpt)

Oscar not odd one out

That Pistorius was sentenced to a portion of direct imprisonment at all displays the extent to which the court classified his conduct as serious. This is evident when comparing his case to other similarly situated cases, where a conviction of culpable homicide has resulted from killing a person in the mistaken belief that they were an intruder.

Most of these cases do not result in direct imprisonment.

In 2003, a Mr Dougherty was convicted of culpable homicide after shooting dead an unarmed man on the street near his house. Dougherty suspected him of robbing his house guests. He received three years’ correctional supervision.

In 2004, Rudi “Vleis” Visagie, a well-known rugby player, mistakenly shot and killed his daughter. She was driving out of the family home in the early hours of the morning. Visagie saw the car and mistakenly assumed it was being stolen and, without checking, fired a shot at the driver, killing his daughter. The National Prosecuting Authority decided not to prosecute this case at all, believing that the tragic circumstance of the accident was sufficient punishment.

In 2013, just days after Steenkamp was shot, businessman and preacher Siyabonga Mdunge concluded a plea bargain with the state for shooting and killing his wife through the toilet door in the early hours of the morning in the mistaken belief she was an intruder. He received a sentence of eight-years’ imprisonment, wholly suspended for five years. This meant he spent no time in prison at all.

Viewed alongside these cases, Pistorius has been sentenced on the harsher end of the spectrum. It appears that the public discontent with his sentence is connected to the fact that many people still believe he murdered Steenkamp. However, after engaging with the evidence presented, that was not the finding of the court.

Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide for what was essentially deemed a tragic accident. In light of that verdict, Pistorius has not been subject to any special treatment in terms of his sentence. He has been treated the same as anyone else sentenced under the same provision.

Here is the link to the article:
http://theconversation.com/why-parole-f ... mate-43479

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:56 pm 
ADMIN

THX She Stone.

The Lynch mob wont see it that way... they still want OP to suffer much more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:34 pm 
ADMIN

Oscar Pistorius nearly home free
2015-08-02 15:00
Sonja Carstens

Oscar Pistorius’ lawyers have won the latest round of his legal battles.

This week, state advocate Gerrie Nel tried to convince the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) it should read every word of the trial to determine whether Pistorius was guilty of the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, rather than of the culpable homicide charge on which he was convicted.

But Pistorius’ advocate, Barry Roux SC, argued that the appeal court judges should read only the “relevant parts” of the court record.

SCA president Judge Lex Mpati agreed with Roux that the 31 volumes should be shortened. After this was done, “a good many” fewer volumes were handed to the court.

Nel now has until August 28 – a week after Pistorius is set to be released on corrective supervision – to file the state’s appeal application papers.

...more at link
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... e-20150802

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:48 pm 

What correctional supervision could mean for Oscar Pistorius

Times LIVE | August 7, 2015

It was confirmed at the beginning of June by the Correctional Services Department that Pistorius will be released from prison on August 21 to serve the remainder of his five-year sentence for culpable homicide under correctional supervision.

In terms of the Section 73(7) (a) of the Correctional Services Act, an offender who is sentenced in terms of Section 276, had to serve at least one sixth of his or her sentence (which was 10 months in Pistorius’s case), before being considered for correctional supervision.

Durban's Daily News on Thursday reported that Pistorius will come out as a probationer and will have to adhere to a myriad of conditions.

The Correctional Services Department declined to disclose the terms and conditions to the paper.

According to a document prepared by the correctional supervision and parole board on how parole may effect an offender, Pistorius' conditions could stipulate he:

* Be placed under house detention.

* Does community service.

* Seeks employment.

* Takes up and remains in employment.

* Takes part in treatment, development and support programmes.

* Is restricted to one or more magisterial districts.

* Lives at a fixed address.

* Refrains from using alcohol or illegal drugs.

* Refrains from committing a criminal offence.

* Refrains from visiting a particular place.

* Refrains from making contact with a particular person or persons.

* Refrains from threatening a particular person or persons by word or action.

* Is subject to monitoring (this could be electronic monitoring).

More at link: http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2015/08/07/What-correctional-supervision-could-mean-for-Oscar-Pistorius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:45 am 

Oscar Pistorius early release put on hold

19 minutes ago
From the section Africa

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33987669

South Africa's justice ministry has suspended the release of athlete Oscar Pistorius from prison on Friday.

He said the decision to free the athlete after serving 10 months of his five-year sentence "was taken prematurely" and with "no legal basis".

The decision has now been sent back to the parole board for review.

Pistorius was convicted of manslaughter last year for shooting dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, whom he says he mistook for an intruder.

It is not clear whether the decision on his early release could be reinstated before Friday, should the parole board meet to review its decision.

One of Pistorius' relatives, who did not want to be named, told Reuters news agency they were "shocked and disappointed" at the news.

Under South African law, Pistorius is eligible for release under "correctional supervision", having served a sixth of his sentence.

However, it is the timing of the decision which the justice ministry criticised:

"One sixth of a five year sentence is 10 months and at the time the decision was made Mr Pistorius had served only over six months of his sentence," it said in a statement.

The justice ministry clarified that it only has the power to overturn decisions made by the parole review board in cases where the convict is serving a life sentence.

For the rest of the article click on the link.

The reason being given is the timing of the decision itself having been made in June instead of waiting to decide until now. Based on what I have read on this article and others it would appear likely that at most this might delay his release just a bit if any. I am especially curious about the the last part of the article that I posted here. I put it in bold letters as it caught my attention.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:42 pm 
ADMIN

And so the spite continues.

I guess OP is resigned to this nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:38 pm 

Oscar Pistorius case: Parole review board sets date

27 August 2015
From the section Africa

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34073185
(excerpts)

The review board which will decide whether South African athlete Oscar Pistorius should be released from jail will meet on 18 September, reports say.
-=-=-=-=-=-=

The prosecution has appealed against the ruling, saying he should be convicted of murder.

Pistorius' defence lawyers are to file court papers to oppose the appeal on 17 September, a day before the parole review board meets, South Africa's privately owned eNCA news site reports.

For the full article click on the link.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:46 pm 
ADMIN

THX SheStone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:14 pm 

Aimee Pistorius tweeted that this article reflected her sentiments. I read the first few paragraphs and agreed with the view but her writing style is just too wordy for me to slog through the whole article.

Anyhow I thought some of you might enjoy some of it also.

http://heatherm.simplesite.com/418427267

Oscar Pistorius: Is the news of his parole really shocking?

I feel compelled to ask. Why the sudden surge of media articles, claiming ‘shock’ and disbelief that Oscar Pistorius has been recommended for early release under correctional supervision?

It’s hardly ‘shocking’ and it’s certainly not surprising. In fact, it was entirely predictable, right and proper, and wholly concurrent with South African law.  Actually, what would be truly ‘shocking’; is if his legal rights were violated, in order to meet a manipulated and distorted perception of appropriate retributive justice.

As an aside these few short words from the blog are a succinct description (IMO) of WS and like minded sites “Jealousy and spite make venomous bedfellows.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 58  Next