It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:57 pm 
ADMIN

Jonah Lomu dies - the end for an All Blacks legend, New Zealand hero gallery video
Last updated 14:21, November 18 2015

All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu has died, aged 40.
Lomu battled kidney disorders since the end of 1995 when he was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome. He had a kidney transplant in 2004.

He suffered health setbacks since the transplant and had been receiving dialysis treatments during his recent visit to Britain where he was involved in heavy promotional work for the Rugby World Cup.

...more at link

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all- ... aland-hero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 pm 

I was hoping he wouldn't retire. :roll He's going to be a helicopter pilot.

New Zealand captain Richie McCaw has announced his retirement after a glittering career
Rugby Union | BBC | November 18, 2015

The 34-year-old flanker played a world record 148 Tests, 131 of them wins, and led the All Blacks to two World Cup final victories, including last month's triumph against Australia.

McCaw is also a three-time winner of the World Player of the Year award.

The news, expected for some time, comes 24 hours after the death of iconic All Blacks winger Jonah Lomu.

"Today, I thought about whether it was the right thing to do this," said McCaw. "But I'm going to be hanging up my boots.

More at link: http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/34864317

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:17 am 

I was born 40 years too early. :roll
She is 25. Wishing them a lifetime of happy times!

Richie McCaw engaged to Black Sticks hockey star Gemma Flynn

Richie McCaw has announced his engagement to long-time partner Gemma Flynn.

The former New Zealand captain, who retired from rugby after leading the All Blacks to become the first back-to-back Rugby World Cup champions in England in 2015, made the announcement on Facebook after celebrating with a meal for family and friends in Central Otago.

McCaw, 35, recently received New Zealand's highest accolade in the New Year's Honours being appointed to the The Order of New Zealand, which is confined to 20 living Kiwis. McCaw, 35, recently received New Zealand's highest accolade in the New Year's Honours being appointed to the The Order of New Zealand, which is confined to 20 living Kiwis. He is also the subject of a movie to hit the screens in 2016 having announced that he will contest a 550km adventure race.

Flynn is a leading New Zealand sportswoman, having played 168 matches for the national Black Sticks hockey side. She won a silver medal with the team at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi and bronze at the 2014 Games in Glasgow.

More at link: http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... emma-flynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:56 am 
ADMIN

New Zealand Rugby confirms six-point tries for 2016 NPC
New Zealand Rugby general manager Neil Sorensen has confirmed tries will be worth six points during next year's provincial championship.
Wed, Dec 23, 2015

In announcing the first change to the try-scoring system in 24 years, Sorensen also revealed penalty goals would also drop from three points to two - a first in the game's history.

The announcement, made to TAB Sport Radio, comes after the Welsh Rugby Union said it wanted to trial the six-point try in their second-tier Principality Premiership.

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen showed his support for the move saying: "Six point tries are fine. I think they should probably be worth seven, but it's irrelevant what I think because I'm not the one trialling them.

"Every four years there is a trial cycle that comes in and we say I'm sure we can change these rules and I'm sure you will see a few more."

The move comes from a desire from the sport's governing bodies to put more emphasis on try-scoring and attacking rugby, while reducing the number of penalties being kicked.

New Zealand will get its first taste of the new system when the provincial competition - now called the Mitre 10 Cup - kicks off on August 16 next year.

...more at link
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/r ... r-2016-npc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:06 am 
ADMIN

It seems a conversion is still 2 points, and so a converted try will be 8 points... as opposed to 2 points if a team opts to kick a penalty :)

Looks like points for "drop kicks" will be 2 as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:12 am 
ADMIN

NZ rugby to trial two refs, new laws in national provincial championship in 2016
TOBY ROBSON
Last updated 20:49, December 17 2015

Two referees will officiate together during New Zealand's national provincial championship next year as part of a World Rugby trial of proposed rule changes.

The second on-field official will mainly be used to rule on a new offside line that will be moved one metre back from a redefined ruck, where the confusing "gate" will be ditched and the rights of the tackler reduced.

New Zealand Rugby wasn't planning to unveil the proposed rule changes until early next year, but they are widely known after provincial unions sounded out clubs across the country about whether or not they wanted their premier competitions to trial the rules in order to prepare players for the representative season.

Tweaks of the rules had been signalled with All Blacks coach Steve Hansen among the most vocal in saying the game needs to be easier to play, watch and referee, but the move to using two referees as is the case in the National Rugby League is a bold move.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/7521 ... ip-in-2016

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:53 pm 

I've been praying I win the lottery soon, so Chris and I can fly in, pick you and your wife up, Rumpole, and fly off to the AllBlacks v Wales in Cardiff, sometime in June. :)

Just got an email, and they will be in Chicago, November 5, playing at Soldier's Field -- six weeks after we are there. :doh

Actually, I don't play the lottery, so I better get started.

Will let you know. ;)

-------------------------
eta: Just looked, pencil in June 11.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:19 pm 
ADMIN

The documentary on Richie McCaw has hit the number one spot of the New Zealand box office overnight.

Chasing Great took almost $90,000 on its opening day, the most ever for a New Zealand documentary.
Its cumulative gross box office including the premiere, opening day and previews has nearly hit $200,000.
Transmission Films' Michael Eldred said the opening day result is a "reward for both the filmmakers and Richie".

...more at link
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/enterta ... box-office

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:19 am 

I'll be watching the Allblacks tonight. :D

I've got to cancel 3 nights hotel booked in Chicago for next week, we aren't going to be able to make the trip after all. BUT .. got a reminder email from the AB about their match versus Ireland in Chicago, November 5th. Thought ... I'd check prices. $50 to $650. They are expecting a sellout. The only ones available, in front on the sidelines - center field, are $628 each. :eek

Think I'll watch online even as bad as I'd love to see them in person. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:32 am 
ADMIN

Aaron Smith: Star halfback leaves All Blacks tour in disgrace after airport toilet tryst
LAURA WALTERS AND PHILIP MCSWEENEY
Last updated 15:42, October 6 2016

The All Blacks star was seen entering a disabled toilet with a female after the test against the Springboks in Christchurch last month.

He was sent home from South Africa by the All Blacks touring party after the team learned of the incident.

...more at link
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all- ... n-disgrace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:43 am 

Steve Hansen offers Michael Cheika olive branch to mend 'frosty' relationship
• All Blacks coach calls for pair to sit down and ‘sort it out’
• Cheika still fuming on arrival back in Australia following defeat
By Australian AP | The Guardian | October 23, 2016

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has called for a ceasefire in verbal warfare with Wallabies counterpart Michael Cheika which has plunged trans-Tasman rugby relations to an all-time low.

Refusing to be gagged, Cheika on Sunday wasn’t backing down after Hansen accusing him of “hijacking” New Zealand’s Test world-record celebrations.

In the aftermath to Saturday night’s Bledisloe Cup series finale in Auckland, Cheika took aim at New Zealand media over being depicted as an angry clown and then claimed the All Blacks did not respect the Wallabies, suggesting they were involved in the media caricature.

Seething after his portrayal in the country’s biggest paper, the New Zealand Herald, on the match morning, Cheika let rip in an extraordinary rant after Australia’s 37-10 loss at Eden Park.

Hansen hit back at a “sulking” Cheika and said he needed to be bigger than to take a newspaper’s barb to heart and that it was wrong to suggest the All Blacks could dictate what the media did.

But on Sunday Hansen softened his stance and extended an olive branch to Cheika for the good of rugby in Australasia.

“For a long time the relationship with Australia has probably been a little frosty and maybe we need to sit down and have a beer together and sort it out,” Hansen said, describing the Wallabies as a “formidable opponent” and important ally.

More at link (photo of newspaper cover) lol: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... -australia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:14 am 
ADMIN

THX Molly....

Looks pretty funny to me.... Cheika is a big baby.... I recall Aussie news doing worse... eg Alblacks with handbags Haka vid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:17 am 
ADMIN

Handbag Haka

Story
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5153506.stm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:30 am 

LOL, oh my at the video. :roll

Yeah, I agree it's funny. The Aussie coach needs to take Cheeky aside and give him a pep talk, knock him around a tad. It's not up to Hansen, he has enough problems with his boys. ;)

Thanks for posting the pic. I was busy at the time and came back to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 pm 

:(

All Blacks star dies at 35 as New Zealand rugby mourns again following Jonah Lomu and Jerry Collins tragedies
By Andy Howell | WalesOnline | Updated 16:23, 12 FEB 2017

Sione Lauaki

Another New Zealand All Blacks star has died in his thirties.

The sudden death of back-row forward Sione Lauaki, who was in the team which crushed Sir Clive Woodward’s 2005 Lions, was announced by his former Super Rugby team Chiefs.

Giant No.8 Lauaki was just 35 and his death comes less than two years after the similarly untimely passing of All Blacks greats Jerry Collins and Jonah Lomu.

Tonga-born Lauaki played in three Tests for the Pacific Islanders, 17 Tests for the All Blacks from 2005 to 2008, before moving to France in 2010 and playing for Clermont Auvergne and Bayonne.

The cause of his death hasn’t been disclosed. Lauaki was forced to end his playing career in 2012 after routine medical tests in France detected kidney and heart problems.

More at link: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... w-12593178

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 pm 

'We've got some talented people' - 2018 All Blacks squad Steve Hansen's toughest to pick
By TVNZ | Sunday, May 20, 2018

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says his 2018 squad to face France next month has been the toughest to select of his career, due to the sheer number of quality players currently plying their trade in New Zealand.

With today's 33 man squad announcement, a number of standout players from Super Rugby have been left out of Hansen's reckoning, including top try-scorer Ben Lam, as well as the consistent duo of Matt Todd and Akira Ioane just some of those to miss out.

Speaking to media, Hansen spoke about the difficulties his selection group faced.

"Most of them are tough (to pick) because we've got some talented people and we're always leaving somebody out that you wish you could put in," he said.

"A guy like Luke Romano, he's been really solid for us over a number of years, so to ring him and tell him he's not in is difficult."

More at link: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/r ... ghest-pick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:58 pm 
ADMIN

World Rugby Rankings
Updated: 26 August, 2019

https://www.world.rugby/rankings/mru?lang=en