It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:28 am 
ADMIN

ODI Team Rankings
(Updated - 05 Feb 2017)

Despite what commentators said about the ICC ODI rankings after today's loss to NZ by Australia.....

Australia RETAINS the lead.... NZ DOES jump ahead of India as predicted.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/me ... nkings/odi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

Rumpole wrote:
Taylor did not communicate with his team - Brendon McCullum
Sidharth Monga
Very interesting article, Rumpole. Makes me want to read the book to understand more of what happened back in 2011. I'm wondering since the piece was so long, if that was MOST of the chapter about Taylor? ;) I will check it out.

And I am glad to see Australia stays at the top of the rankings and retains the lead. They ARE the best team and the sports commentators/analysts know this, despite their biases.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:21 pm 

The photos in the article are worth a click and tell the story at a glance, lol. :)

South Africa vs Sri Lanka ODI halted after swarm of BEES invade the pitch... before a beekeeper armed with honey finally coaxes them away
• Thousands of bees swarmed over the field and forced umpires to stop play
• South Africa and Sri Lanka players, and umpires fell to the floor in evasive action
• Attempts to attract them away from the playing area with a bucket of coke failed
• The bees came back three times before the experts were called in
• A beekeeper, armed with honey, eventually convinced the bees to go elsewhere
By Daily Mail | Updated: 15:38 EST, 4 February 2017

A 'bees on the field' graphic is displayed on the scoreboard for the crowd's benefit

South Africa's 'pink' one-day international against Sri Lanka encountered an unexpected hazard when a swarm of bees interrupted play for almost half an hour at the Wanderers.

The hosts, who took the field wearing the pink strip used annually in aid of charitable causes, were held up three times in all when the bees flew into Johannesburg.

Players on both teams fell to the floor in evasive action during Sri Lanka's innings - but when the swarm moved in for a third time and showed no sign of a quick exit, officials decided it was time to call for the experts.

More at link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sports ... -bees.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:38 pm 
ADMIN

Molly wrote:
And I am glad to see Australia stays at the top of the rankings and retains the lead. They ARE the best team and the sports commentators/analysts know this, despite their biases.

I think SA deserve to be on top. They beat Aust to a pulp (5 games - 0) when Aust last visited. Aust are working to redeem themselves, but any demise due to losses to NZ is their own fault for sending a B team to NZ.

I don't know, but I assume that SA WILL be on top after it wins next 2 games against Sri Lanka?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:44 pm 
ADMIN

After today's win by SA over Sri Lanka, their ICC ODI ranking score has increased from 117.7 to 118.2
Tantalizingly close to Australia at top of the table with 118.4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:37 am 

I found me a new account to keep an eye on.

NZ Cricket Museum@NZCricketMuseum February 17

#OnThisDay: with @RossLTaylor hitting 117, the @BLACKCAPS chase down Australia's 336 with 5 wickets to spare in their 2007 Auckland ODI.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:34 am 
ADMIN

Is AB de Villiers’ career over? This is what cricket’s superman is saying
Updated: Jan 18, 2017 17:15 IST

AB de Villiers has ruled himself out of the Test series against NZ and England, but has in sisted he is not retiring from the format and wants to focus on the World Cup 2019

AB de Villiers Test conundrum has gotten deeper, with the star South Africa batsman not only ruling himself out for the Test series against New Zealand in March but also for the four-match series in England starting after the Champions Trophy.

The star South Africa batsman, who underwent elbow surgery, will also skip the two-Test series against Bangladesh and is apparently targeting a return for the four-Test series against India in December 2017. He will also skip most of the Twenty20 leagues in the world, except the Indian Premier League (IPL).

...more at link
http://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/a ... 4mnQN.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:47 pm 
ADMIN

MCC moves to limit bat dimensions
Sidharth Monga in Mumbai

The MCC World Cricket Committee has responded to growing concerns about the size of bats by proposing new limits on their dimensions, in a bid to reduce the number of mis-hits off the edge or the toe of the bat flying over the boundary for sixes.

[....] Now, however, the committee believes that enough is enough, and has recommended a new limit of 40 millimetres for the edge of the bat, and 67 millimetres to the spine.

...more at link
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 71321.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:04 pm 

My goodness, I do believe something needs to be done to regulate the maximum size.
So funny, I looked at the photo and thought to myself "who is big and strong enough to be able to use that huge bat?" and thought of Warner. ;) Then I read the article and see it's his. He just looks huge to me on the field. Built like a fireplug as we say.

I looked and he is only 5'7" and 165lbs.

Last edited by Molly on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:04 pm 
ADMIN

I tend to agree with limits being imposed. The cricket bat sketch has got silly (as photo above illustrates).

It was good initially... but has been taken to extremes.. and looked like getting worse.

I DO NOT quite understand the physics involved with modern bats? It seems to me me that larger, but LIGHTER bats would NOT necessarily help batsmen hit the ball further. IMHO...Momentum transferred to the ball from the bat depends on MASS (weight) rather than size. There may be advantages with larger edges (up to 2" wide) helping with edges off the bat going further.. but that is a limited advantage.
My understanding of bat manufacture in "the old days" was that it involved compressing the wood.. to make it more dense.. heavier.. that make much more sense to me. I hope bat manufacturers go back to that.. and even do more. Maybe find heavier exotic wood is possible? Certainly back to compressed willow. It is farcical to see these bats that break in half.. look to be more akin to balsa wood.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 pm 

Test cricket's first day
History is made in Melbourne

England's 1876-77 squad that played the first Test © ESPNcricinfo Ltd

1877 - 140 years ago
The day Test cricket began. The match between Australia and England, at the MCG, was only subsequently awarded Test status, and was originally billed as "All England v A Combined New South Wales and Victoria XI". Neither side was at full strength: Australia, who were effectively a combined Melbourne and Sydney XI, had no Frederick Spofforth. England had no amateurs - which meant no Grace, for a start - and no wicketkeeper, after Surrey's Ted Pooley was arrested in New Zealand the day after a gambling scam. Australia's Charles Bannerman, who was born in Kent, faced the first ball from Alfred Shaw, scored the first run, off the next ball, and the first hundred as well. He went on to 165 - the only century of his first-class career - before retiring hurt when George Ulyett smashed one of his fingers. In all, he scored 67.3% of his team's total of 245, which is still a record, 130-odd years later. Australia eventually won by 45 runs: on the same ground 100 years later, they beat England by exactly the same margin in the Centenary Test, which was arranged to celebrate this inaugural match.

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 49524.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 pm 

I'm trying something different today while watching NZvSA.
Listening to audio on earphones while working on some things. Have my video window minimized so the pop-ups don't happen. I can glance over at the tiny screen or click it open if there is a amazing catch I want to see. I think this will work when opposing side is batting. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 pm 
ADMIN

Sounds like a plan, Molly :)

I am lucky to have the cricket on TV.. and so do not have to venture into the sordid world of online streaming.. pop-ups... viruses and all :95

I have TV off to one side and so mostly just listen while doing stuff online. In fact... I have to occasionally force myself to STOP doing stuff and watch the cricket.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:14 am 

This is neat (to me) especially the end.

There is another one with the same title where he speaks to the team and much Q&A. He asked them who is going to win this match and Smith said "we are." That video is over an hour long.

Australian players visit Dalai Lama's residence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:08 pm 

McCullum to lead MCC v Afghanistan
By Lords.org | April 7, 2017

MCC will play Afghanistan at Lord’s on Tuesday 11 July, with Brendon McCullum confirmed as the Club’s captain for the historic match.

The 50-over fixture will be Afghanistan’s first at the Home of Cricket, and will take place on the pitch being used for the England v South Africa Investec Test match, which is due to conclude on Monday 10 July.

A similar fixture last year saw MCC beaten by Nepal in front of a crowd of nearly 6,000 at Lord’s.

MCC has a long association with cricket in Afghanistan and two of the Associate nation’s star players, Mohammad Nabi and Hamid Hassan, were both part of the MCC Young Cricketers program.

MCC President Matthew Fleming is a driving force behind the Club’s work in Afghanistan and himself travelled to Jalalabad in May 2009 to oversee the first coaching camps held under the MCC Spirit of Cricket banner.

More at link: https://www.lords.org/news/2017/april/m ... ghanistan/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 am 

This article is interesting (to me) thinking it is something you would understand more clearly, Rumpole.
It states the measurement is ridiculously simple -- well let me just say, I need to read again tomorrow so putting it here.
I love the photo, another excuse to post. ;)

The analytical power of the halfway mark
By Anantha Narayanan | ESPNCricInfo | June 18, 2017

The Halfway Wicket Value (HWV) is a simple yet effective metric to gauge the progress of a Test innings

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/conte ... 04130.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 pm 
ADMIN

ICC grants Test status to Afghanistan and Ireland :doh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm 

MCG pitch battle spotlights issue for Australia
ESPNcricinfo.com | December 29, 2017

When Steven Smith posted no fewer than three covers for Alastair Cook midway through day three at the MCG, he provided a succinct statement as to the lifelessness of the pitch prepared for the showpiece match of Australia's cricketing summer. Admirable as Cook's innings was for offering proof that his career is far from over, it was achieved on a pitch that presented very little risk of nicking off to slips the bouncing ball - the manner in which so many of his innings this series had ended.

Cook's innings took him past Brian Lara on the list of Test run-makers. After he made his 375 at the Recreation Ground in Antigua in 1994, Lara commented on how much he would have liked to roll up the pitch and carry it around everywhere with him. Being a drop-in, this MCG surface could actually travel wherever Cook wanted it to, but in terms of entertainment, and balance between bat and ball, it would be better used as a portion of the current project to widen the Tullamarine freeway linking Melbourne to its airport.

The MCG has long been a wonder of Test cricket, offering up massive and diverse crowds to watch the long form of the game at the traditional holiday time of year. If Boxing Day's roll-up of 88,172 narrowly failed to reach a new mark for the highest-ever day's crowd at a Test, follow-ups of 67,882 and 61,839 provided further reminders of how this multipurpose colosseum can attract some of the best and brightest gatherings not only in cricket but all of sport.

But Melbournians have seldom had the benefit of watching cricket played on a surface to match the quality of their attendances. For decades the demands of football in the winter presented problems for both the pitches and the outfield, culminating in a period in the 1980s when the surface was universally considered the worst in the country. Among the many elements of nostalgia inherent in this week's anniversary celebrations for the 1977 Centenary Test is how the players involved have contrasted the excellent Bill Watt pitch prepared for that game with the poor fare that followed it.

Drop-ins were gradually introduced to the square from 1996 onwards, replacing the unreliability of the past with a far more consistent brand of mediocrity. Unless it starts with green grass on the top and moisture underneath to allow seamers and spinners some early traction, the MCG surface simply does not deteriorate fast enough to offer enough of a challenge over the course of four or five days.

More at link: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:42 pm 

On this day: an historic moment as @BazMcCullum scores the BlackCaps first triple century, v India at the Basin Reserve, 2014.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next